How to beat your tickets [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: How to beat your tickets

Black Beauty
10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
After my last post I think it would be helpful if there was a forum that discusses ways that we can get out of paying those pesky tickets and who better to start it than me.

Behold mutha****az (TM) :bowdown: I am about to bless you with the number one tip to avoid paying your tickets...
Are you ready....?

#1: Contest everything !!!!!!! :eek:

If you get a ticket for any reason contest it. This is especially easy to do if your state allows you to contest your ticket by mail. I have built up a quiver of several form letters for the type of tickets I regularly get and I use them over and over and over again. If you have illegal mods remove or disguise them and take lots of pictures without the mods. These pictures will be used to dispute tickets in the future.

Find out where you can get your hands on your local codes and read them; its a good idea to know what the heck you are talking about in the letter you are writing or when standing before a judge.

If you get a speeding ticket....... contest it. Your state may be one that requires the officer who wrote the ticket to appear in court; if the officer does not appear your case may be dismissed.
Be prepared for the officer to appear; if he does have an argument prepared....

Your honor I could not have possibly been doing 83 in a 45 mph zone... ........I drive a 4 silinder Hyundai for crying out loud...... my 0 to 60 time is a day in a half......... whatever

Make sure that you say something intelligent and appear to be genuine and you could possibly talk yourself into a reduction of fine or dismissal of points.

Yall get the point; lets talk tickets.

BB

SuperGLS
10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Well, contesting might work in some or even many cases, but it a lot of cases you are just going to get a bigger fine from the judge. The judges around here don't like stupid back talk. I sat through at least 20 people when I got my "Failure to Maintain Proper Control" ticket and all of the people who tried to contest their tickets got higher fines.

Also, I've always believed that if you (meaning anyone) are stupid enough to get caught speeding/running a red light/etc that you should be man enough to pay the consequences and not act like a little kid about the whole thing.

It seems that you yourself have gotten many tickets, wouldn't you learn to slow down and follow the laws? I understand the occasional speeding on highways (say 15 MPH over the limit) but other than that it's just not worth it. Also, if you drive in the same areas you should be able to know where the cops like to sit and wait for people.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

hyunelan2
10-05-2004, 10:56 AM
The best way to beat a ticket is not to get caught being stupid. The best way to not get caugt being stupid is to not be stupid. Keep up with traffic on the highway, but never go more than 20 over (20 over is reckless driving btw). 20 over is not safe either. The cops I work with won't pull you over in a 65 zone until you're 11 mph over. That's their target number for nailing you and you not getting away with it in court. Don't spin your tires (not a big issue for our cars). All that does is make you look like a careless driver. Turn down the volume when you see a cop (so not to look like a punk-*** careless driver). Use your turn signal, and don't tailgate. Follow those rules and you'll beat any tickets you don't get. ;)

southpawboston
10-05-2004, 12:05 PM
i'm going to take black beauty's advice one step further, it has worked for me at least 75% of the time:

check to see if the municipality in which you were issued the ticket allows court date postponements. if so, REQUEST A POSTPONEMENT of your court date (make sure you follow ALL the rules regarding this, sometimes they are sticklers for things like filing for a postponement by a certain deadline, etc...). the logic behind doing this is that it increases the chances that the policeman who issued the ticked will not show up for the court date (sometimes the rescheduling and the policeman's schedule get "out of sync"). believe me, at least 3 out of four times i've done this over the past 15 years, the cop has failed to show up and i've gotten off!

Black Beauty
10-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Speeding tickets have never been my problem; I have only received 2 in 12 years; the tickets I receive are for infractions other than moving violations.

I live in DC; in the district; subject to many of the most unfair and ridiculous laws around. I regularly have to dispute tickets written my cops and metermaids who think that I will break the law but donít want to wait around to see me do it. I have received parking tickets 5 minutes before my meter ran out and photo enforcement tickets for running lights that are obviously yellow (you can see it in the picture). I also live in a city that has more law enforcement officers per square inch than any other city in our nation. Its possible for me to get a ticket (deserved or not) from a half dozen different agencies on any given day.

I am not the crazy, speeding punk kid who blast his music and churps his tires at every stop light. I drive well and have the record to prove it.

I cant speak for everyone but in DC (and certainly in many other states in our union) traffic tickets are being used as a revenue source instead of a deterrent. My city spends millions of dollars a year LEASING read light and speeding cameras from companies such as Northrup Grumman who pocket the large majority of the fine amount (60% 40% split I think)

I would never suggest that anyone contest a ticket without the means to support their position; thatís why I suggested that everyone gets acquainted with their local code; but I do suggest that you contest if you can put together a decent argument or (especially) if there are points on the line. I am sure that the knuckleheads that SUPER saw get higher fines had nothing substantive to say in there defense; if they did the worst that would probably happen is that they would be forced to pay their fine.

The fact of the matter is that traffic enforcement is not about securing the public safety as you all have been led to believe its about generating revenue! This fact is even more true in large cities. I was born in raised in mid town Manhattan NY where because of parking laws (meters and time limits) it is and has always been impossible for my parents to park their cars on the street where we live. For over 30 years they have had to pay 3 to 4 hundred $ per month to park their cars because there is no parking set aside for residents. It is not that different in DC, residential neighborhoods every ware have the same problems in urban areas; coincidenceÖ. I think not. Lets be real, our governments are profiting off of our backs; they have created a de facto tax that I reject and will contest at every turn.

04GTboySC
10-05-2004, 12:33 PM
lol DC thats a crazy city, i dont even like driving downtown, i work right south of DC in rosslyn and cops are crazy

Josh K
10-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Well to be honest, if you're doing 83 in a 45, then you really deserve to get a ticket and probably should stay your *** off the road lol.

As far as contesting everything, out here in California, the rule goes this way: if you plead not guilty, then you give up your right to go to traffic school to clear the ticket off your record if are later found guilty. So basically, you can plead guilty and go to traffic school, or you can try to fight it and not be able to go if the cop shows up.

Also, if you don't have actual proof that you're correct and it just comes down to the cop's word against yours, the cop will always win.

Finally, getting postponements is just the luck of the draw. I think over the last 7 years I've gotten about 5 or 6 speeding tickets. Some of them I even continued 2 or even 3 times (saying I was out of the state and couldn't make the court date), and the officer has never failed to show.

Leviathant
10-05-2004, 02:30 PM
DC cops are pretty annoying. One time I was trying to find some place, and I was driving behind a cop. Well, the van in front of him pulled across the road to a scenic viewpoint (or something like that), he followed, and I followed him.

He gets out of his car and says something to the van, and when I figured it was a good time, I pulled out "Excuse me sir, but I'm having trouble finding whats-its-place, is it this way or that way down the road?" He says "That way, but I wanted to talk to you too. That was a double yellow line, and you never should cross those! Do you -- Argh! Here's someone else doing it!" He turned around to talk to the van that had originally started this four-way law breaking (The officer didn't even signal that he was turning, much less put on his lights), and I took that as an opportunity to get the hell out of there.

SuperGLS
10-05-2004, 02:33 PM
One comment.

I can understand the problems with going through yellow lights in DC and getting ticketed though. I saw something on the news a while back about how they weren't set up very well in DC and many people have gotten off after contesting them in court. I've been pulled over twice in DC while in my work truck (I think they thought I had a truck bomb or something, haha) and I know how the cops can be.

I also saw in the Washington Post that if you spray your license plate with some type of photography sealer (or something) that when the camera takes the picture of the car the license plate can't be read because the flash makes it all reflective-like. And during all other times it just looks like the plate is extra clean. Apparently it's not illegal either.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Black Beauty
10-05-2004, 05:16 PM
I am the proud owner of photo defeating license plate covers. The covers I use are called Photoblocker and the reflective spray I use is called photosheild. Both can be purchased at www.phantomplate.com OR you can buy a set from me. I have extras becaise I bought the package deal; see my thread in the marketplace.
BB

SWortham
10-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I've had 3 speeding tickets & 1 ticket for an improper lane change (accidentally cutting off the cop, don't ask). But I've been fortunate enough not to have them go on my record, which is the important part to me. And I've never contested them because I was guilty of every one of them. ;)

OPZ
10-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Well, I used to chirp my tires, but that was just to proove that our car's do have a little "go" power, but that was ONLY in like, empty parking lots at 10pm, when no one but us were around, and we left afterwards anyways. And I do speed occasionly, but unless on the highway, I don't excede AT MOST 5-10 over. All it is, is know where the cops sit, how strict they might/could be (local, really cool, staties... your boned) and just be a sane driver. Save the stupid stuff for when you know it wont get you caught, and there wont be dire circumstances (while still realising that soemthing can still easily go wrong)

Might not make sense to you, but works for me. Also, so what if I play my music loud? I use turn signals and stop for all lights/signs, even if there is literally no one around! :P

evan938
10-05-2004, 10:27 PM
i remember seeing a show a few years ago on TLC or something called speed traps...they were talking about, like you said, contest it, if the cop doesnt show, you get out of it (worked for me when i totaled my dads car last summer...got a failure to control, cop didnt show, saved myself a lot of cash, and points, and it wasnt on my insurance...dads covered it under his uninsured motorist insurance [im on my moms plan]...and since he didnt have a ticket/claim in like 11 billing periods, they didnt raise his rates...but back on topic...)...they were also saying you can go to the police station or city hall, dont remember which and ask for something (dont know what it was called) but it is all of the officers documents...i.e. yearly check to make sure he knows how to use radar detector...etc...theres a whole bunch of papers...if even 1 of them is expired, the ticket is void...i wish that show would come on again so i could take some notes :)