fender roller in NW? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: fender roller in NW?

yoodk64
01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone know where I can rent fender roller or roll fender at??? I tried few shops but no luck... I can't trust people on internet so don't want to rent from just random site... I'm wondering if anyone know who have or know which shop do good fender rolling near seattle area???

BColeman
01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
You can buy one, if you are interested.

Harbor Freight Tools sell them. You can either get one on line, or they have about 10 stores in Washington State. There's a couple of them in Spokane, though I don't know how close you are to them.

Just an idea for you.

exdtuner
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Good thing about buying one is after some practice you can charge people for you to roll their fenders or charge for the tool use for people to roll their own fenders.

yoodk64
01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Well I don't wanna pay $200+ for a fender roller... I just need it for to roll my rear fender... I just can't find any shop have them... damn it... :(

slyderdai
01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Well I don't wanna pay $200+ for a fender roller... I just need it for to roll my rear fender... I just can't find any shop have them... damn it... :(

Use a base ball bat and a towel.

plagued89
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM

or a hair drier and the disconnecting end to a floor jack :p

yoodk64
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM

That have to be my last choice... if I can't find any shop with a fender roller..

plagued89
01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
That have to be my last choice... if I can't find any shop with a fender roller..

you might pay as much as buying your own true roller.

BColeman
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Are there any custom autobody/paint shops in your area, or at least within a 2 hour drive.

Those are the shops that you want to take the car to, to have this kind of work done. Make sure they are reputable though. See what cars they are working on, what the mechanics and technicians are doing, how they go about their work, before you decide on one to actually do the work for you.

2loud2k2xd
01-14-2009, 07:27 PM

x2

done be a puss. 90% of the time most body shops will use the heat gun and baseball bat anyways.

yoodk64
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
wheels have to be on when you are using baseball bat right?? I believe I saw the video on youtube long time ago...

BColeman
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, they do. Use your stock wheels and tires though if you do it that way.

silversharkXD2
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
ok...newb question even though i'm not. what is the point and what does it look like/what results in the end

BColeman
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
^Feel around the rear fender well on your car, sedan and HB are alike. You feel a little lip that is horizontal to the ground that points inward into the wheel well for about 1/4" to 1/2".

When you lower your car, and use a wider wheel/tire combo, and when the rear suspension compresses, it will rub or hit that protrusion. Fender rolling will flatten that part of the fender up, into and against the inside of the fender.

On my car, I used my Dremel tool and cut all of it off. Others have either lived with it, or have rolled the inside of it.

silversharkXD2
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
so when I install my springs, i either need to use a wheel and tire combo that is not that wide, or I will need to do this. correct?

Matrixloader
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM

I did this on my rear fenders and had no problems.
The baseball bat trick is the fastest and easiest way but just be careful when doing it. I did this also on my friends svt focus with great success, takes just a few min to do, chances of ****ing up the paint are slim.

I used a metal bat.
just stick a bat in between the tire and fender and roll it back and fort while pushing down on the bat so that the inside lip of the fender bends up.

yoodk64
01-15-2009, 04:40 PM
What is the point of sidewall in fender...does the manufacturers have to made it like that?....:confused:

BColeman
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
It's where the inner metal wheel well and the outer quarter panel skin are attached. If you look, you'll see spot welds where the two are joined together.

Do they have to make it that way? Probably not, but it's manufactured to be left stock, not have wheels, tires, and suspension put on it. Aftermarket products is not the manufacturers responsibility when it comes to designing a car.

silvershark: No, you do not have to do this. It's only necessary if you run into a problem: i.e., hearing the tire rub on the inside of the wheel well when going over a bump. You still don't have to do it, but it's a good idea to save wear on your tire's sidewall.

I can get pics and show you where I cut mine. I only cut the areas that would make contact with the tire. It didn't ruin the "structural" support or anything (as there isn't any there).

Fender rolling is ideal because it won't be noticed in an inspection by a dealer who may buy your car off of you when you get rid of it.

blue05gls
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Did you get your fenders rolled yet? I work at a custom shop on FT. Lewis.. I can get you on if you need to. We do pretty much anything at the shop.. and we are cheaper than most places around. PM me if you want some more info