New High Performance Wire Option, a SED original [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: New High Performance Wire Option, a SED original

sed
05-09-2004, 04:33 PM
hi people.

I have just discovered that you can use APC 9.3mm High Performance plug wires from a 92-00 Civic EX on a BetaII!!!!! There is slight modification needed, you have to push the small boot at the top of the wire all the way to the rubber surround so it will fit, but I have had these on for 24 hours now with my new iridiam plugs and it is SWEET!!!

Oh yeah, price should be around 50 - 60, I got mine at Pepboys.

pics:

http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0408.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0409.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0410.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0411.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0412.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0413.jpg

thought I would share.... Enjoy

shawn :)

Josh K
05-09-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand what you have to modify...

sed
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
ok,

you have the rubber surrounds that go over the top of the oil seal, then you have the plastic part that goes actually onto the plug, inbetween the two is a rubber "seal" that you can push towards the top of the wire... You have to make sure it is ALL the way to the top for the right fitment.

If you need more info, I'll take pics

Josh K
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Well I'm gonna pick up a set of these and if I can't figure it out I'll post again. Good looking out on the mod! Do you know if they're available in red? Or is blue the only color?

sed
05-09-2004, 07:39 PM
yeah they have red,blue,black and yellow

seraph0503
05-09-2004, 07:56 PM
what's it do. and how can you feel a difference form ignition plugs???

sed
05-09-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0414.jpg
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0415.jpg

hope this helps

stock plug wires are 7 mm and are made out of rubber and copper. these wires are made out of kevlar and silicone and are 9.3 mm. Bigger wires & better conductors= much more current. iridium plugs run cooler and conduct more electricity than platinum and double platinum meaning more current to the plug, better spark in the plug, more power.

but dyno =1.5 to 2 whp

shawn :-)

2004ElantraGLS
05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Which is better? Iridium plugs or the NGK ones? I have the 04 CVVT motor. Also, do you think these wires will fit my application?

OdessitPashka
05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
very nice find :)

sed
05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
NGK makes iridium plugs, thats the type i have in my car. I'm not sure if the wires will fit your car unfortunately, since I have an 01, but I wouldn't think that Hyundai would change the length of the spark plug tube simply because of CVVT...

Oh and Iridium - is a type of metal, and they are the best plugs you can buy. period.

2004ElantraGLS
05-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Does anyone happen to know the part number for NGK Iridium plugs?

O_GT
05-09-2004, 08:47 PM
NGK makes iridium plugs, thats the type i have in my car. I'm not sure if the wires will fit your car unfortunately, since I have an 01, but I wouldn't think that Hyundai would change the length of the spark plug tube simply because of CVVT...

Oh and Iridium - is a type of metal, and they are the best plugs you can buy. period.

shawn :)I have them there great

acr57
05-09-2004, 09:01 PM
i new here, u can tell but do these plugs fit the 02 elantra?

sed
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
acr57 yes they will fit

2004 GLS:

part number BKR5EIX-11 Stock number - 5464

Shawn :)

2004ElantraGLS
05-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Great! Thanks a lot, Shawn. As soon as I have some extra money I'll pick up a set of those plugs and those Wires as well.

Axel

sed
05-09-2004, 09:56 PM
you're quite welcome. heads up for more inginuity from your neighborhood modder

BlackElantraGT
05-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Good lookin' out bro. It's nice to know that I have some options that I can easily pick up from my local auto parts store if I ever decide to change my plug wires. :)

sed
05-09-2004, 11:03 PM
No problem at all.... I am here to help all make nice, fast elantras..

Its what we all want right?

WytchDctr
05-10-2004, 01:05 AM
or you could spend 40 more dollars and get a set of plugs with a lifetime warrenty... and that are not made by APC. Im not buying anything electronic from a company sued for causing fires with faulty wiring.Only problem is you can't pick up magnecor from your local parts house. What resistance do those things have sence there is more length than stock. They do look good btw.

evil247
05-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Good looking out especially seeing how cheap elantra owners are. LOL where is the poke smiley

GTSpeedRacer
05-10-2004, 07:47 AM
What's the cost on the iridium plugs?

sed
05-10-2004, 08:38 AM
6.99 each

FordFasteRR
05-10-2004, 09:35 AM
or you could spend 40 more dollars .....

FordFasteRR Biatch Slaps WytchDctr in the face... :owned1: Where is Rick James when you need him ?

well if i could spend 80,000 more i'd just get a twin turbo porche !!

Keegaroosky717
05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Ouch! Things are getting a little tense in here huh!? Anyways, thanks Sed for the info on that part fitting our elantra. Thats really helpful

SkizziK03elan
05-10-2004, 09:03 PM
i think i've found my next mod, thanks for all the pics man!!!!

sed
05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
no problem i'm glad to help

labmixz
05-10-2004, 09:53 PM
plugs look about the same size (mm) as stock, granted I would hope they are better quality than stock plugs (never know with apc) -- where as you might be noticing a difference it's possible the difference is coming from the plugs more than the wires ?

Still a nice find for the beta II's :)

WytchDctr
05-11-2004, 12:00 AM
FordFasteRR Biatch Slaps WytchDctr in the face... :owned1: Where is Rick James when you need him ?

well if i could spend 80,000 more i'd just get a twin turbo porche !!

I find that funny coming from someone who knows how touchy the beta2 is to bad ignition wires... so you pay 60 now.. and if they last as long as stock.. in another 30k 60 more. Then another 60.. and thats saying they will last. I wont put apc bulbs in my car.. much less something that costs 3X more. Id rather spend a few more bux on wires I know are good quaility and will last as long as the car. If they dont send them back and get new ones. It wasn't even 5 bux to ship them. Just my opinion. :cool:

2BIT
05-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Gonna go "get in the zone" and check these out along with that blue Honda oil cap....might have to go see Manny, Moe and Jack tho since they stock more stuff...good Find...

Josh K
05-12-2004, 10:58 PM
I've been looking everywhere and finally looked on APC's site and the wires are only available in blue, which really sucks. Is magnecor the only company that makes red wires?

OdessitPashka
05-12-2004, 11:09 PM
you can get those wires at pepboy in any color i think!

Josh K
05-12-2004, 11:55 PM
you can get those wires at pepboy in any color i think!

nope :0( the APC ones are only made in blue...

I guess I have to shell out some more dough to get red

NHElantraGT
05-13-2004, 12:46 AM
So, would it seem reasonable that a MSD wire kit for that same year/engine Civic would also fit, same as the APC?

Elantra2.001
05-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Copper plugs conduct electricity better then iridium. They dont last as long, but at the price, who cares? I have the Magnecor Race wires and i didnt feel a difference except for maybe a little smoother rev, if at all.

2BIT
05-13-2004, 01:06 AM
You should feel luck you got yours for 50 bucks. They want 70 bucks plus tax here in Vegas for the APC wires at Pep Boys

Josh K
05-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Hey 2Bit, I saw them at pep boys for 69 as well. You should try and find a Kragen. I saw them there for about 15 bucks less.

I'm gonna end up paying more I guess since I want red and will have to go with MSD or Magnecor

2BIT
05-13-2004, 02:45 AM
I found these on line for $50 plus shipping . Cheapest Ive seen so far. http://www.go2aaw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.home&section=7&subsection=23

labmixz
05-13-2004, 03:26 AM
Copper plugs conduct electricity better then iridium. They dont last as long, but at the price, who cares? I have the Magnecor Race wires and i didnt feel a difference except for maybe a little smoother rev, if at all.

You know most of the people I was talking to about spark plug wires told me they didn't feel much of a difference with their aftermarket wires on the betaII... which kinda made me wondering about buying the Nology Wires, then I read about people that had the nology wires and having problems with them...

I bought them anyhow and I have come to believe that nology are the best, not trying to hijack the thread here or anything, but...

I definitly felt one hell of a difference when putting on the nology wires... pickup was increased a ton, smoother engine, a hell of alot better mpg...

then when I changed my plugs (about 5 days after installing the nology wires on stock plugs) the engine only became smoother than what it was before...

I guess what I'm trying to say here is... if your not feeling something with your performance wires, somethings not right...

sed
05-13-2004, 08:28 AM
agreed, and you aren't hijacking bro..

It HAS to feel better, or the wires suck period. You are putting more higher current into your plugs!!! more spark - more power...

OdessitPashka
05-13-2004, 08:40 AM
where did you get your nology wires from?

sed
05-13-2004, 09:00 AM
probably online, I don't know of any aftermarket stores that carry them

XDGT03
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
APC $39 +8 shipping right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478375531&category=33692 (http://)

FordFasteRR
05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm rick james ***** !

http://www.concertshots.com/May%20Images/cs-RickJames9-Atlanta5502.JPG

damn this guy is so fugly ! :pukeface:

OdessitPashka
05-13-2004, 10:35 AM
ford..... %(*&(*%&$*&%*(&

Birdman
05-13-2004, 11:49 AM
That was random... Kinda like when my sis told me my rear window defroster was a decoration....

Elantra2.001
05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
You know most of the people I was talking to about spark plug wires told me they didn't feel much of a difference with their aftermarket wires on the betaII... which kinda made me wondering about buying the Nology Wires, then I read about people that had the nology wires and having problems with them...

I bought them anyhow and I have come to believe that nology are the best, not trying to hijack the thread here or anything, but...

I definitly felt one hell of a difference when putting on the nology wires... pickup was increased a ton, smoother engine, a hell of alot better mpg...

then when I changed my plugs (about 5 days after installing the nology wires on stock plugs) the engine only became smoother than what it was before...

I guess what I'm trying to say here is... if your not feeling something with your performance wires, somethings not right...

Well buddy, Ive had both the Nology Hot wires and the Magnecor, no big difference. Ive had Platium, Ive had copper, Ive had iridium. Anyafttermarket wire will do just fine. The nology look bad ***, that much ill give you.

labmixz
05-13-2004, 04:55 PM
where did you get your nology wires from?

from fixer...
http://www.fixersgarage.com

Well buddy, Ive had both the Nology Hot wires and the Magnecor, no big difference. Ive had Platium, Ive had copper, Ive had iridium. Anyafttermarket wire will do just fine. The nology look bad ***, that much ill give you.

That is strange...

Cause out of a CAI (or the SRI I had), Ground Wires, SAFC, short shifter, Exhaust, I would say BBTB (but I only had the bbtb on around the block before it didn't wanna work properly...), and a few other mods I've done... I'd say the nology wiers are so far the best mod I put on my betaII...

Granted I noticed a big difference with a new intake (and having the SRI before the CAI, I can say I think the CAI is overall better, for me atleast) -- but the nology wires gave my car very very nice pick up and overall smoothness... I was very suprised by what the wires did...

Course this could mean a few things, maybe something was wrong with my stock wires or something who knows... Only had 20k miles on the stock wires and plugs... and the plugs weren't burning clean when I replaced them... but I replaced them after I put in the plugs...

2BIT
05-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Ordered a set from that place I previously posted the link to. When they get here, I will be putting them on along with the NKG vpower plugs I got from Jay. :D

sed
05-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Thats great 2Bit...

I'm happy that your car will go faster now because I researched it... I am working on something else right now, I don't want you to get too excited, but I think I am on to a couple of really nice parts that don't exist for our cars!!!!

Think about bolt on power adders and what we don't have....

hint: one spins and one goes zap!

O_GT
05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
do they fit under the wire cover

2BIT
05-13-2004, 11:01 PM
hmmm....my guess is distributor and coil pack?? :whisper:

BlackElantraGT
05-13-2004, 11:14 PM
For those that are interested in the Nology wires, here's an article from Mike Kojima of SER.net. He's contributed to Sports Compact Car magazine, so I think this guy is pretty knowledgable. Here are the key notes of his finding:

"Believe it or not, we started noting improvements as soon as we started the engine. Cold idle was noticeably smoother and hot idle was also slightly smoother than stock. Throttle response was refined, with the engine feeling more eager to pull through the rev range. Still skeptical, we dynoed the car to get some cold hard performance numbers.

We tested the wires on Dan Paramore's Dynojet with interesting results. Although the Nology wires did not increase peak power, they increased power and torque everywhere else in the powerband. The greatest increase in power was measured at the torque peak of 4600 rpm where a difference of three hp was recorded. At 3200 rpm, a five lb-ft difference in torque was noted. "

http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/dec97/december.html

sed
05-14-2004, 07:10 AM
hmmm....my guess is distributor and coil pack?? :whisper:

winner winner winner, I'll have the answer later on this evening maybe tomorrow morning...

Shawn :)

5port
05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I got them for $39.99 +8 shipping on ebay. I also installed Bosch +4 spark plugs and they really make an easy revving engine. Someone was wondering if the wires would fit under the cover. The answer is yes...but the black shroud does not:

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/wire2.jpg
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/wire3.jpg

2004ElantraGLS
05-24-2004, 10:34 PM
I've searched for these wires on eBay and came up with nothing. Maybe I'm just an idiot when it comes to lookin for stuff on eBay...I dunno.

Axel

5port
05-27-2004, 08:46 AM
I had the 9.3mm wires on my car for 2 days. During that period it seemed that the car would stutter or hicup on quick throttle openings like filling a hole in traffic or shooting away from a stop. I thought I was imagining it so I let it go. Yesterday coming home from work the car did a real BIG hicup.

Before I put the new wires in I changed my plugs to Bosch platinum +4 and used them for 5 days with no problem. In fact they improved the car by letting rev much more freely. I suspected the wires so I went straight home and put in the factory wires. The car ran fine, no hicup and revving freely. So the wires did not work out for me. YMMV.

I measured the shortest 9.3mm wire and measured the shortest factory wire. 9.3mm = 75 ohms, factory wire = 1500 ohms. I think the impedance/resistance of the 9.3mm wires are too low for the factory ignition or they just dont like to work with the Bosch +4 plugs.

FordFasteRR
05-27-2004, 08:54 AM
....... I think the impedance/resistance of the 9.3mm wires are too low ......

omg.

There is no such thing as "resistance is too low".... the lower the better !

you actually get a better spark with lower resistance... maybe your set of plugs wires are bad or not installed properly?

Maybe you didnt modify or remove that extra rubber part for it to fit properly?

5port
05-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Everything was installed as per Sed's instructions. Believe me I wanted them to work in the best way possible. They are very pretty. I didnt mean to upset anyone with my post. Like I said...YMMV.

sed
05-27-2004, 10:29 AM
you didn't upset anyone bro, we are just trying to figure out why they didn't work!

Try cutting off that rubber boot under the main oil seal boot for a better fit. I found that after the plastic heated up, that rubber got in the way and pushed the number 2 spark plug wire so it JUST made contact...

I cut that little piece off that i showed to push up, and it worked like a charm

5port
05-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice Shawn. I'll give it a try.

sed
05-27-2004, 10:44 AM
np, if you have any questions, pm me or im me at yodased

shawn

04Elantra
06-03-2004, 12:45 PM
What about wires like these...

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-15343.cfm

Josh K
06-03-2004, 01:16 PM
You don't have go through the modding hassle, Nology makes wires specifically for the Elantra.

Just wanted to update this post and say that while the APC wires work, NOT all wire brands specified by the manufacterer to fit 92-00 Civics will fit the elantra (even with modification). I wanted red ones and got a good deal on some 11mm Crane Cams Firewires and they didn't fit (boot wasn't long enough to establish a good contact).

04Elantra
06-06-2004, 03:43 PM
So Labmixz and BlackElantraGT, are you guys both holding the view that if someone has the $ to buy the Nology wires, then it would be a good investment?

only1db
06-06-2004, 09:26 PM
okay...lets keep in mind that the only way you would need to run more spark would be if you are heavily modified or you had an upgraded ignition! regular autolite wires will do the trick! there is no need to buy expensive ****...its just over kill....i'm getting autolite or whatever oem style wires and v power plugs....copper is the best next to gold for conducting eletricty and they are cheap as dirt! there is no need for platnum or iridium plugs...its over kill...just like 10mm wires! thats my word

ford......my name is rick james *****! *slap*!!! :kick:

sed
06-07-2004, 11:10 AM
i like blue!

and the iridiums i got for free...

so "what did the five fingers say to the face?"

SLAP *****

shawn ;)

XDGT03
06-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Why not magnecor? They don't seem to get into all the hype that nology and others do about stuff that doesn't work or matter. And they are cheaper than Nologys.

I'm sure this has been covered before but seems like a good time to bring it back up.

HatchetMan
06-07-2004, 02:21 PM
This may seem a tad bit off topic. But, yesterday I put in my Bosch +4 platinum plugs and 8.5mm plug wires from sharkracing. Left the battery disconnected to rest ecu during install. Drove to work this morn, 40 mi all highway, half bumper to bumper, stop & go rush hour traffic, the other half smooth sailing with the cruise between 65 & 70. Moral of the story. Ran better than new, got 36.3 mpg - an all time new high (up from like 32mpg!). Very pleased and impressed. That's all, thanks for listening/reading. Good day :)

XDGT03
06-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Yes, I have had that too after a ecu reset. You will eventually come back down to what ever you had been getting, within a few 10ths. If you are takeing a long trip somewhere, resetting the ecu at every fill-up could yield an extra 50-100 miles per tank. Plus you can entertain yourself by resetting all you radio station presets :lol

5port
06-08-2004, 10:42 AM
This may seem a tad bit off topic. But, yesterday I put in my Bosch +4 platinum plugs and 8.5mm plug wires from sharkracing. Left the battery disconnected to rest ecu during install. Drove to work this morn, 40 mi all highway, half bumper to bumper, stop & go rush hour traffic, the other half smooth sailing with the cruise between 65 & 70. Moral of the story. Ran better than new, got 36.3 mpg - an all time new high (up from like 32mpg!). Very pleased and impressed. That's all, thanks for listening/reading. Good day :)

Good. Someone else discovered Bosch +4. Every Elantra owner that has installed the +4s have the same result. In my case I did not reset the ECU and I'm using factory wires. Better low end torque, Highway mileage increase, revs like crazy to redline now and did you notice the lag at 3800-4000 is gone? Mine is. Enjoy.

HatchetMan
06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I got rid of the lag long ago. But with the intake, exhaust, plugs, wires, & grounding -the lag is just a distant memory. I doubt I will be taking it in for the tsb that supposedly fixes it.

5port
06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Sed,

You were right. Two of my wires were not snapped on to the plugs because of the rubber seal. Today I removed the seal from each wire before I installed them. Now I could feel a deff click. I still wanted a dirt seal though. I cut out a 1/4 inch of each seal then forced the inner lip of each seal around the opening using a flat screwdriver. They work great now. Thanks Bro.

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/seal1.jpg
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/seal.jpg

Keyan
06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
I installed my plug wires, and the only difference I feel is that when my car shifts, it's alot more gentle. They fit not straight down, but on a slight angle, probably because I didnt mess with the plastic top. Tomorrow morning I cut a section out like 5port did.
One question for you guys; it's on the opposite side of where the wire attaches to the plug. It's a tiny little hole...it's on stock and these wires. What is the hole for? Is it ok to cover it with the little plastic stopper? I don't want to melt anything :)

MattsLantra
06-13-2004, 10:11 PM
is the difference betwen the nology wires and the APC ones that great to justify the +100$ cost? when I run out of things to do perhaps ill look into nology wires, but atm theres alot of other cheaper things i can do for bigger gains I guess /shrug

only1db
06-13-2004, 10:15 PM
why dont you guys just get the wires from the hp store...magnecor...8.3 and will fit without modification...they arent that expensive either...definetly cheaper then my vitek wires i had for my tib!

Bnystrom
06-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Before you go dumping a bundle on Nology wires, read this:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/overview.htm

and this:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

I realize that Magnecor has a vested interest in this, but this seems like the straight scoop.