Ordered KYB GR-2 struts [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Ordered KYB GR-2 struts

SWortham
10-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Well I finally ordered these struts. I'm not sure when to expect them yet, but I'm going to install them immediately when I get them. I'm looking forward to the results. :) I'll be sure to take some pictures of the install and give driving impressions.

Hyundia_90250
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
What kind of springs do you have...been thinking of gettin new struts......

ilanpro
10-20-2004, 03:12 PM
What kind of springs do you have...been thinking of gettin new struts......
Eibachs

SWortham
10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Yep, if KYB's are well suited for any lowering spring, it would be Eibach. I'll find out soon enough.

Cyberz XD
10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Eibach, toyckos, and KYBs are the best to go with.

i would say those are the bes you will get when you race and when you are just crusing

SWortham
10-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Cool, they shipped already. My guess is they'll be here next week.

clarion
10-20-2004, 05:28 PM
you think thoses would be good with the cheap ebay springs?

SWortham
10-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Depends on what cheap ebay springs you're referring to... if you're talking about coilover sleeve kits, then no. These are conservative when it comes to performance struts. Most coilover sleeve kits I've seen on Ebay are designed for a drastic drop and would have very stiff spring rates. They would demand even higher damping rates if you want the car to handle bumps properly.

pancit
10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
you think thoses would be good with the cheap ebay springs?

A few of my friends bought cheap ebay springs(Springtech) and used koni's and the ride is great. Keep in mind these werent hyundai's. Springtech does sell springs for elantras on ebay for 75, which is a damn good deal. I think somebody else has these springs on this board...

SWortham
10-30-2004, 01:34 AM
KYB's came in today. :D

http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/KYB GR-2/PICT0002_800px.jpg

I'll install them tomorrow.

Well... like I promised, they are installed. :)

My friend Malik helped me again and I learned a few things about installing springs/struts. You don't have to use a spring compressor! I was skeptical at first but he showed me how to do it... and we were able to control all of the tension by:
1. jacking up the car
2. removing the wheel
3. loosen the lower strut bolts and brake line bracket
4. place another jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to compress the spring
5. remove the upper strut bolt
6. lower the 2nd jack completely
7. remove lower strut bolts
8. remove the strut

Installation was essentially the same and in reverse order. You have to make sure the strut shaft lines up properly before you jack it into the upper strut mount.

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures. I had a dead camera... and in hindsight we didn't have much time anyway. It was pouring down rain soon after we finished. And we were working in the dark with shop lights on the side of the street, so it would've sucked to be caught in the rain.

I've driven on the new struts for about 30 miles or so and I like them. We put them to test a few times and the suspension seemed to handle it nicely.

I'll have more complete driving impressions after a week or so.

And check out Malik's Group Buy if you haven't already:
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3594

SuperGLS
10-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Good stuff. You better get some pics up soon, even if the car looks the same, haha.

I hope to see more people getting these so we can get a whole bunch of impressions.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

SWortham
11-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Yeah the car looks exactly the same (just like it does here (http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/9-25-2004/Pict0036_800px.jpg)). When you first install the struts the car looks like it's sitting a little higher but after I went for a drive the ride height was back to normal.

I did another 60 miles of driving today. The struts might start feeling different during break-in, but they've really made a nice improvement so far. The car feels less bouncy, and more confident in the corners. On some roads I'd say the ride quality has improved, and others it's rougher. It's hard to explain but it depends on the type of bump the car is going over... plus in some ways ride quality can be subjective so it's hard to quantify one way or another. Performance has undoubtedly improved in every aspect. There's less bodyroll overall, especially in initial turn-in and transitions such as lane changes. That's my review for today. :) I need to get my car aligned soon.

EDIT -- I think I've figured out how to explain the difference in ride quality. You can feel the bumps in the road more when going 40 mph or less and the ride is a little rougher than the stock struts. But when you're going highway speeds it handles the bumps in the road in a more controlled manner. Even though the suspension isn't compressing as much, the continued bounce is reduced so that the ride quality actually seems better. It reduces the sea sickness feeling so to speak, and the suspension won't overreact like it did with the stock struts. Overall it's a great balance and a good match for the Eibach springs.

UPDATE (11/5/04): The struts feel like they're breaking in a little so they're a little softer. Ride quality is better this week than it was last week, and it handles the bumps in the road really nicely. Performance is still a good improvement over the stock struts and I think I made the right choice. It's really fun to drive the car right now, whether it's just cruising or throwing the car into a turn the Eibach/KYB GR-2 combination is great.

XDGT03
11-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Good stuff. Where do you live? Is it getting cold yet? I'd like to have a comparison of the tib struts and h&r's that I have and what you have. Cuz when these struts wear out (unless I can find another set for &125 like I did this time) I will likely go with the Koni's since I have spare cases now to drill out. But i'd like to feel those KYB's first.

CTele02
11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
I know its an ez diy to replace springs and struts as long as you know how to take about the stock ones, but ive read that its good always have a shop realign all your tires when you mess with the suspension so everything is balanced. Just wondering if your car "sags" to one corner or the others more than it should.

SWortham
11-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Good stuff. Where do you live? Is it getting cold yet? I'd like to have a comparison of the tib struts and h&r's that I have and what you have. Cuz when these struts wear out (unless I can find another set for &125 like I did this time) I will likely go with the Koni's since I have spare cases now to drill out. But i'd like to feel those KYB's first.

I'm in Mckinney, TX. And yeah, it's starting to get cold. It's usually in the 50's. I think you'd like them, they certainly aren't going to be as stiff as the Tib struts but I guess it all depends on what you're going for.

I know its an ez diy to replace springs and struts as long as you know how to take about the stock ones, but ive read that its good always have a shop realign all your tires when you mess with the suspension so everything is balanced. Just wondering if your car "sags" to one corner or the others more than it should.

Yeah I had my car realigned a couple days after the installation. You should always do that after changing the ride height. Of course the ride height didn't change this time but the reason I had the car aligned was twofold:
1.) I decided to remove the camber bolts I had in there which affected the camber a lot.
2.) There is a little slack in the knuckle so everytime you swap out the struts you'll change the camber a little.

On top of that, everytime you change the camber, you're also changing the toe. So... I just needed it done, and now the car is setup with the stock toe settings and -.2 degrees camber front / -1.2 degrees camber rear.

Hyundia_90250
11-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Your really making me think of gettin them...what is your set up.....I know you got Eibach springs...what about anti-roll bars and other items.....ben thinnking that I might be geting to the point of replacing my stock struts... :drive: :deal:

SWortham
11-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Well I also have the 19.2mm rear sway bar and a RRM front strut bar and 215/45-17 tires.

DocRxGLS
12-16-2004, 04:50 AM
I just ordered a K&N panel filter for my brother's Christmas present (he has an 04' Ram 1500) at my typical seller..... http://www.ajusa.com

I was just browsing, and they have the KYB GR-2 struts for our cars....all 4 of them. Andy's was one of the few other places I had seen them - about $12 more per strut not including shipping, but you can get all 4 w/ free shipping for $199.88 at AJUSA.

A quick search on ebay only yielded ones for older Elantras / Tibs.

Its going to be a while before I can do this, but I just thought I would pass this along.

felixr
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
thanks docrx how much do you guys think these would be to install?