boost controler [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: boost controler

OdessitPashka
05-09-2004, 04:52 PM
If I want to have 4-5 psi of boost, what would be the ways to get those desired 4-5 psi? I remember someone saying that you would need external wastegate in order to low your boost down, with internal wastegate you wouldnt be able to turn it down so much. is that true? Would a boost controler be necessary in this case? So basically I'm asking if internal wastegate can be turned down to 4-5 psi of boost.
Give me some info guys.

also another question

would stock FPR be able to support enough fuel for 160whp in return system? would a new pump be needed?

Thanks a bunch!

tharptroy
05-09-2004, 05:57 PM
hrmm, you may have to call a turbo place and see what they reccomend. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a wastegate set that low. you'd want a rising rate FPR to go with your setup most likely. the stock pump should handle it, but it might not be a bad idea to get a new unit, just so you dont have to worry about it crapping out on you. I would also consider servicing the injectors before trying to squeeze a bunch more fuel out of them

OdessitPashka
05-09-2004, 07:25 PM
well, for now I just want to start with something and just upgrade my setup. So I just want to get a t3 turbo and run 4-5 psi on it, with stock fuel pump, stock FPR(if it's possible) and I need to know how I would be able to get such a low boost with either (internal and external) wastegates.

Thanks a lot :)

Elantra2.001
05-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Youll be fine. You might not even need a piggy back at boost levels that low. A SAFC would handle it no problem.

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 01:47 AM
i found out that it would be pita to get my setup run so low, so i will be running around 7psi, and hope to avoin SAFC for now.

SkizziK03elan
05-15-2004, 02:49 PM
7 psi will be a healthy setup man, and should give you enough performance to hold you over till you can get and tune a SAFC =)

tharptroy...can you hit me with a little more info on a rising rate FPR?
(yes i'm on my way to research it now, but i'd prefer terms most humans can understand =P)

OdessitPashka
05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
what kind of info you need on RRFPR? it will rise pressure when boost is present, but it will only work on cars with return style fuel system, XDs have returnless, so you cant use it!

SkizziK03elan
05-16-2004, 11:51 AM
[email protected] damn....well....thats stupid! =P

OdessitPashka
05-16-2004, 12:36 PM
you can always swap your fuel rails to beta1

Mahonroy
05-16-2004, 11:44 PM
So what is the deal with return and returnless fuel systems, I don't understand would someone be able to enlighten me please? So FMU / RRFPR cannot be used in turbocharging elantras? So the only way to go is bigger injectors with piggyback fuel controller? Thanks :D

OdessitPashka
05-16-2004, 11:53 PM
returnless system is when fuel doesnt go back from fuel rails to the gas tank, return is the opposite. so in return system you can use RRFPR and raise(make less gas go back in) pressure, so less fuel will be goin back to the gas tank.

Unless you do the swap, no you cant use FMU for xd. you can raise pressure by adding a new fuel pump, or gettin new injectors and SAFC.

I just noticed that you have 2004 model, i think those use MAF sensor and return style fuel system, therefore you can use FMU.

Mahonroy
05-17-2004, 03:28 AM
So 2004 models DO have a return style fuel system? How would I know for sure? And what is the order of all of the things in the fuel system btw? E.G. Fuel Pump -> FMU/RRFPR -> Fuel Rail? Where is the fuel pressure regulator located at? And do you just cut the gas lines and hook up the FMU/RRFPR inbetween the cut lines? Thanks for the info on returnless/return :D

2GTS
05-17-2004, 09:38 AM
The 04 is MAF but is not a return style fuel system. Do you homework before giving out advice OD.

OdessitPashka
05-17-2004, 11:47 AM
The 04 is MAF but is not a return style fuel system. Do you homework before giving out advice OD.
if you actualy read what I wrote you would of noticed that I said that "I think" I was never sure since I've never seen 04's engine bay.

So if you have returnless just forget about FPR and all that good stuff!

here is the order:
fuel tank>fuel pump>fuel rails(to injectors)>FPR>return line>gas tank

with RRFPR:
fuel tank>fuel pump>fuel rails(to injectors)>FPR>RRFPR>return line>gas tank

JonGTR
06-01-2004, 10:08 PM
As for the wastegate. It will be pretty hard finding an internal that will go as low as you want. You'd be better off going with an external, but it will add more installation work.
I'm running a Turbonetics Deltagate with a 3-5psi rated spring. You can switch them out for different rated springs. By itself, the spring has put me at 4psi. When I turn the bolt on the top of the wastegate to compress the spring, it will turn that 4psi spring into a 10+psi spring. I say 10+ because when I turned it all the way and drove it, I didn't think it would put out that much boost, so I freaked and let off the throttle when it hit 10. I now have it torqued to 7psi. ;)

OdessitPashka
06-02-2004, 01:01 AM
what I was thinking is even if the internal wastegate is setup at 8psi you will be getting 5psi into your engine since there will be a lot of loss. so its all good and I shouldnt be worried about anything!

Elantra2.001
06-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Ah, 3 psi loss sucks ***. I hope to only lose 1 psi through my system.

OdessitPashka
06-02-2004, 01:10 AM
I really wish you luck man, but I doubt it's gonna be possible.
Just think about it.... all the pipes, intercooler (best one will drop 1-1.5 psi) and then more pipes and then your TB. there you go at least 3 psi there, or even more!

JonGTR
06-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Still, 3lbs is a huge loss. Maybe if you go with a crappy sidemount IC from an 80's car.
Like I said, I installed the 3-5psi rated spring and get 4psi sent to my manifold. But I also have mandrel bent 2.5" pipes with a 450hp rated IC. So, it flows pretty well. ;)

Elantra2.001
06-02-2004, 05:29 PM
my intercooler will be rated to 500 horsepower and im using 2.5 pipes with few bends. Its all about planning OD.

OdessitPashka
06-03-2004, 02:10 AM
I guess you not gonna loose that much! :)