[XD] P0121 + p0123 + p0303 wtf!!! [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: [XD] P0121 + p0123 + p0303 wtf!!!

mike688
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
:pukeface:
P0123 - throttle position tp sensor circuit high voltage
P0121 - throttle pedal position sensor switch a circuit range performance problem
P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire detected
__________________________________________________ _____________
SUMMARY

-no mods

-even changed the oil

-changed all the spark plugs, didn't fix anything.

-turn the key and the engine wakes up growling at 3300rpm and it stays there and its loud as f**k

-put it in DRIVE and the car lurches forward while the RPM comes down but you gotta hold the car with brakes, you let go of the brakes car shoots forward until it reaches 3300rpm.

-put it in NEUTRAL, the rev climbs back up to 3300rpm, the person beside you on the road looks at you like WTF

-hold the car in DRIVE and the whole car shakes

-sometimes the rev goes up and down 1800rpm~3300rpm

What the hell is wrong with my engine?
190,xxx kms
MY2002 automatic

SuperGLS
09-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds bad. Did it just start happening out of no where? Was it driving fine one day and the next it was like this? Or was it gradual?

I have the P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and people have suggested replaced the spark plug wires as well.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

slyderdai
09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
get a new tps sensor or adjust yours. it the thing on the front side of the throttle body with wires clipped to it.

mike688
09-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Sounds bad. Did it just start happening out of no where? Was it driving fine one day and the next it was like this? Or was it gradual?

I have the P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and people have suggested replaced the spark plug wires as well.

Took the car into my trusty mechanic's garage when the tachometer worked intermittently so he replaced my speed sensor. And like a week later other wierd symptoms started showing so I took it back to the garage and he kept my car for 1 week but he said he doesn't know how to fix the issue and suggested that I put in a used engine, I said forget it. Went to my friend's house and his INNOVA 3030 scanner started spitting out codes.

get a new tps sensor or adjust yours. it the thing on the front side of the throttle body with wires clipped to it.

The garage replaced it with a new one, it's the one that has the throttle body rod inserted in it right? also I found a lot of engine oil near the PCV valve and inside the hose. I put my finger on the opening of the PVC valve and didn't feel any suction. Some people said that it could be my PCV valve, Cat-Converter. I think the OBD2 code is misleading, oh yeah and also someone had similar symptoms and said that he just changed an IEC sensor? or something and the car ran fine afterwards.

slyderdai
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
First, and most importantly FIND A NEW MECHANIC!!!! If the TPS sensor is new then it's not adjusted or seated properly. Loosen the 2 bolts that hold it in place a little bit and start the car then wiggle it side to side until the RPM's go to normal. Hold it in that position and tighten the bolts back down. (unless your jackass of a mechanic messed around with the cable on the TB and has that all out of whack)

the PCV valve is 2 dollars and can be swapped out anyways since you have a fair amount of miles. If you had a bad or clogged cat converter it would be sluggish not revving like a mad man.

Also, it is highly unlikely that the Codes are wrong.

Cypher
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak going on.

sed
09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
This TSB has been revised to include additional diagnostic trouble codes and adaptation clearing instructions.
DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides diagnostic and service procedures for a vehicle that may experience engine RPM fluctuation and also exhibits some or all of the following:

The vehicle has less than approximately 2,000 miles on the odometer or the vehicle has had the cruise control cable removed recently.
The TPS Adaptation Value (as displayed by the Hi-Scan Pro in the "Current Data" Menu) has reached its maximum value of 29.9%. A common value is typically less than 10%.
The TPS Value (as displayed by the Hi-Scan Pro in the Current Data Menu) does not increase until the throttle pedal has been depressed about 25% of its normal travel.
The vehicle may also have a higher than specified idle and DTC P0507 (Idle Speed Higher Than Expected) may also be found stored in the ECM.
The vehicle may also have less throttle response than expected.
The ECM may have diagnostic trouble codes P0121 (TPS Plausibility) and/or P0123 (TPS High Input) stored.

This TSB applies to the following models:

1999-2002 Sonata V6
2001-2002 Santa Fe V6
2001-2002 Elantra
2003 Tiburon (both I4 and V6)

POSSIBLE CAUSE:

The cause of the condition may be a cruise control cable that needs adjustment.

A cruise control cable that needs adjustment may be positioning the throttle plate slightly open, causing all or some of the symptoms mentioned above.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Correct the condition by creating a slight slack in the cruise control cable.

Adjust the cable at either the throttle body end or the cruise control module end (depending on the model).

There should be approximately 1 to 3 mm (1/32" to 1/8") of slack when the cable is pushed sideways lightly (see the picture below).

cruise control cable is pulling your throttle body open, causing you to not have any idle air control.

If you don't have cruise control, your throttle body is not functioning as it should, the IAC is in-op.

mike688
09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Problem solved!
It was the intake manifold gasket, it was blown around the cyl#3 port so it explained one of the OBDII codes (P0303)

The $27 gasket from the dealer wasn't the same design as the original, it came in a Hyundai part wrapping but it was not a Hyundai one, it was the exact same one (blue in colour) as found on Ebay for $19. But it did the job.

When I was putting the intake manifold back on, I also noticed my Idle Air Control valve gasket missing some gasket material too but the dealer don't sell the gasket byitself. They wanted me to buy a whole new part!

I installed it anyway and I could smell the exhaust fumes coming out of it so if I can't find a gasket somewhere then I guess I'll buy a new one.

On a Side Note

Got some low mileage 2008 Tib V6 struts and springs and after putting them on, lowered the jack and pulled it out, drove around the block and came back, and tried to raise the car again but the car sat lower so my jack wouldn't fit under it. And just by looking at the front wheels, there's so much negative camber like you would see on lowered civics.

My concern is that when I take my XD in for a 4-wheel alignment, should I take some camber kit with me just in case? (I would have to buy them from the dealer of course) Our local hyundai dealer outsources wheel alignments so no real point going to them.

Thanks for reading!

Cypher
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak going on.

;) Imagine that

noisewatter
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I am very sorry to beat a dead horse, but I have been dealing with this exact same problem. I had the very high idle and the DTCs P0121 and P0303, and the sometimes intermittent idle.

I followed this mans solution on a whim after I was told that an ISA would be about 130 dollars and a gasket was only 8 dollars, I also changed the plugs and wires as well as installing a new TPS.

I got the intake off and low and behold there was a break in the gasket right by cylinder 3.

Thank you so much for posting your problem and the solution you found, you saved me a lot of money, and now my car is running like new, and the CEL is gone.

mike688
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I am very sorry to beat a dead horse, but I have been dealing with this exact same problem. I had the very high idle and the DTCs P0121 and P0303, and the sometimes intermittent idle.

I followed this mans solution on a whim after I was told that an ISA would be about 130 dollars and a gasket was only 8 dollars, I also changed the plugs and wires as well as installing a new TPS.

I got the intake off and low and behold there was a break in the gasket right by cylinder 3.

Thank you so much for posting your problem and the solution you found, you saved me a lot of money, and now my car is running like new, and the CEL is gone.

Right on I'm glad that you had the same issue like I had with mine! j/k
I happened to come across another person's thread on a different forum as well so I'm happy to pass on the information and if it happens to benefit other Elantra owners in some way then that's the least I can do!

Happy motoring! :D let's keep our XD's running good!