Accord Intakes [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Accord Intakes

Pages : [1] 2

carbonman
05-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Does the Accord Intake Fit the XD Elantra?
In a word YES!! Most, if not ALL the 94-97 Accord intakes will fit our cars. Be it either the 1,2,3piece versions Generic Ebay, AOS, AEM etc etc. The designers of these intakes all had a 94-97 Accord to work from. See example below

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDeAs4VUkj1cd8k5!cyunPWX3UzzG5EN3v7*lv93f2u2yO!Y 7kG7E3LtRI!VoISwPne*kwlEelRfdPtcBg0NCQPD6M!TR!10Eg cEp4*rPtxaQcUMOJrFm4BwQDrnre0/P1010001.JPG

What price can I expect to pay?
Prices for the Accord intakes range from Ebay ones $30-$40 to APC/AEM $60-100 maybe more

What version is the best?
Personal preferance is the two piece intake. But any of the above listed will do. There are just more fitment adjustments possible with more pieces

How easy is it to install?
Its easy!!! Installation should take you anywhere from 1/2hr to 1 hr depending on your mechanical aptitude. Some simple removals, connections and instal is basically in reverse but even easier.

Is there any cutting involved during the install?
There may involve cutting of the end of the CAI. This depends on your preference though. You should use your own discretion as to the ending location of the CAI.
You will need to bend the lip of the wheel well entry location slightly to allow for free access into that area. Some rubber padding should avoid any rattles or banging. If you cut any metal, don't forget the rust proof paint.

Any other cutting involved?
For use of the AEM intake, it was confirmed in an earlier thread that the end of the tubing inside the fender well does need to be cut off about 3" for the filter to have a nice home If your concerned about appearance, don't be YOU CAN'T SEE THE FILTER anyways

Where is the CAI routed?
The CAI is connected the the Throttle body by a provided silicone conector. It takes a few turns, goes threw the stock intake location hole behind the battery and eventually ends up in the wheel well.
Pic shows finished routing of a three piece version.

Will the intake make contact or bang into any of the other engine components?
There is a posibility of this happening. The intake MAY come into contact with the brake fluid reservoir or its tubing. To avoid this situation try readjusting the itake and its connections. If you still can't avoid contact. Wrap the Brake fluid tubing with a small rubber hose that you slit in half. This will protect it.

Do I NEED the AEM bypass valve?
USE your own discretion here. Yes, if you plan on driving threw deep puddles up to your wheel centerline or if you live in a flood prone area.

What HP can I expect to see from this Mod?
You should realistically expect anywhere from 5-10HP, This increase will give your car the added HP to help overcome that lag at around 3800RPM's

Can I combine Different versions of intakes?
Yes, its been done here. https://www.elantraxd.com/yapp/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=916

What size diameter is the best?
Subjective but the best size intake Dia. for any 4cyl engine is 2 1/2". This is Dyno proven many times over. Any cone filter CAI in a 2 1/2" size will still provide More air than the engine can realistically use.

Can I use the 2003 Tiburon CAI?
You can use the V6 CAI, overall length might be an issue though. there would be a 6" section missing from the long section of tubing where the MAF sensor goes. And its a 3" DIA. See point above.
What about the I4 CAI?
Sure will

ADDED INFO
Is it loud?
YES

Do I need to move the battery?
NO you do not, I managed to install the accord intake without moving or cutting the battery tray. Simple adjustments of the tubing angles will take care of this.

Many props go to Fordfaster, MCM and Daille for their inovations and pioneering

Bnystrom
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I take it that this information is not for the '04 EGT with the MAF sensor?

OdessitPashka
05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
nope!
btw this needs to be made sticky!

coachfraley
05-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I have a couple of questions:

Has anybody found a CAI made specifically for the elantraXD?

If not, what is the CAI kit that is the easiest to install?

If I decide to go with a short ram kit, is there one out there that somebody can reccommend?

2GTS
05-04-2004, 02:25 PM
#1 The only Elantra specific CAIs were from KORE(no longer avail), Shark Racing, and EvoFusion.
#2 A 94-97 4cyl Accord multi-piece intake that is 2.5-2.75 outside diameter. Other than that they are all the same, one "brand" really isn't better or easier to install than another
#3 Check with FordFaster on the short ram he was selling some not sure if he still is, other than that whatever is cheapest. All it is, is a tube with a filter on the end, nothing special here.

OdessitPashka
05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
just go with accord CAI. cheap and functional!

2004ElantraGLS
05-04-2004, 05:28 PM
I have an Accord CAI installed on my 04 GLS. I payed less than $50 shipped, and it was an easy install. Had to cut a section of pipe out to make room for the MAF sensor, then buy two more couplings and I'm good to go. Great sound, great performance, a C-note cheaper than the name-brands. What more can you ask for. lol

Neurowave
05-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Has anyone tried the Accord AEM v2 on their Elantras?

wdsfr
05-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Just bought one on ebay for $19 plus $15 shipping. Just a piece of piping with a filter. More expensive one just have a fancy name on it

OdessitPashka
05-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Just bought one on ebay for $19 plus $15 shipping. Just a piece of piping with a filter. More expensive one just have a fancy name on it
pix????

evil247
05-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Has anyone tried the Accord AEM v2 on their Elantras?
Not that I am aware of but they have very impressive numbers with that intake on other cars.

OdessitPashka
05-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Just like evofusion exhaust? lol jk!

Elkane7533
05-08-2004, 12:46 AM
well, i think the outer part of the v-2 makes the intake too thick to fit on our car, unless you move the battery to the trunk.
simply shifting the battery a little to the side won't work in this case.

r100s
05-08-2004, 01:39 AM
If you have money to spend then get a Injen CAI.

RD1380P or RD1380BLK They are for 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 4cyl and fits perfectly..... I posted pictures on the old forum. Go search...

For 2004~ Elantra, you can cut the upper pipe and install the MAF with two right size couplers...

evil247
05-08-2004, 02:33 AM
well, i think the outer part of the v-2 makes the intake too thick to fit on our car, unless you move the battery to the trunk.
simply shifting the battery a little to the side won't work in this case.

I think you are right on this. I believe the intake is close to 4 inches

scottw03
05-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey guys, yes I am a newb and I will start going through all the newbie post to see what they have been writing but I saw your post about the Accord Intake and I had a question for you since I was looking at buying one. I have a 1.6L 1994 Hyundai Elantra that I am fixing up. I already have a custom fit Catback system from Magnaflow installed and I am looking to change the air intake. Would the 94 accord CAI or Ram air intake work? They are all over Ebay for next to nothing so even if it doesn't I not out much. If the accord wouldn't work could a tibby intake work on it? Plus what the hell do I do that MAF sensor? That thing is huge sitting in the air Filter box. Thanks. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Scott

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
you can get tibby intake, and just leave your MAFs alone!

scottw03
05-10-2004, 12:56 PM
So just use the K/N Filter an that I have on there now with the Tibby intake? This is the problem that I am not sure if my model has incommon with the later models. I attached a picture that gives a breakdown of the air intake system for my model. The problem I see with a new intake is the "Volume Air Flow Sensor". As far as I can tell it has to be hooked up to the computer by the plug that is at the top right of the VAFS module. This part would have to still be able to fit inside of a filter for the CAI. Is there anyway around it. This is the part that is causing me the problem with deciding what to do? Any ideas?

Scott

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Im not really familiar with VAFS.... never heard of it. take a picture of your engine bay and I will let you know what you can do.

scottw03
05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Attached to the last posting is the diagram from on online manual for my make and model. It gives the break down of the engines air intake system. I can take pictures as well though to show you exactly what it looks like in the car itself.

Scott

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 02:56 PM
yea, thats what I want to see. that diagram doesnt give a lot of explanation!

Josh K
05-10-2004, 03:02 PM

The difference between the $30 ones and the name brand ones go farther than the name. The more expensive ones are CARB exempt (smog legal) and the quality of the fititngs is better, as is the quality of the filter itself. Down here in SoCal with the hot weather I've seen many people with the cheapo intake have their filters come apart (cover coming unstuck from filter or filter coming unstuck from base).

That being said, you can buy about 4 or 5 of the cheapo ones before you've spent enough to buy an AEM and you can always get away cheaper by buying the cheap one and then putting a K&N or AEM filter on it.

In any case, you get what you pay for. ;0)

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
not true. I think if you spend $35 on intake plus $25 on filter you will be good to go and be gettin the same power and the same quality!!

scottw03
05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
True, true. In Delaware, yes, that would be delawhere??? we don't seem to have much of a smog problem. LOL Maybe alot damn seagulls but that is about it. Got to watch out of Bird bombs from the sky. Well when I look at it, it has to go through the resonator in the fender to the airduct into the air cleaner box (which houses the air filter (K&N)) then into the intake air hose and finally into the throttlebody. There has to be a way to straighten that out a bit more. As one person said on a Kia website (don't ask) "I am amazed the air doesn't get lost on it's way to the engine". I attached an outer picture of the aircleaner box and intake air hose. I can attache more later when I get home to show you exactly what part I am refering to.

Josh K
05-10-2004, 03:17 PM
not true. I think if you spend $35 on intake plus $25 on filter you will be good to go and be gettin the same power and the same quality!!

Exactly what I was hinting at in the 2nd part of my post ;0). And if you're not in the smog nazi state (CA) then you don't really have to worry about the CARB exemption either. :D

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 03:26 PM
yea, i see what you are saying. your engine is completely different from ones that are on XDs. Im really not sure which intake will fit inthere. Though, engine from accord has a similar look to it, and the position of the TB is the same as yours, but Im not sure about the lenhth and the rest of dimensions....

scottw03
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
LOL ok now that I got that part out of the way for legality reasons. :D Now all I need to do is figure how to get that damn VAFS thing inside a filter. I will take apart my intake system tonight and get some pics for you to see. Check this out either later tonight if you got nothing going on or I tomorrow when you get a chance. Thanks for the replies though. I think I will be able to get some kind of solution out of this soon.

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 03:38 PM
You definitely will. I will be online tonight so will be bunch of other people! we will help ya out!

scottw03
05-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Sweet. I will get them as soon as I can. Later.

OdessitPashka
05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Sweet. I will get them as soon as I can. Later.
you shouldnt of edit that we are the best... WE ARE! lol

scottw03
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
U guys are but felt pretty lame putting it in there. But I figure Automotive Gods will be a good replacement. :D

I do appreciate all the help though. I have spent months thinking about this stuff, trying to figure out what to do. Hopefully, with your guys help I will be able to make some of the modifications that I would like to do.

Ok, I have attached a few pictures of the engine compartment. If there is something specific you want to see let me know and I will take a picture of it tomorrow. Getting too dark here now to get everything out and back in again.

Ok the first picture is the Volume Air Flow Sensor. That is the picture with the honey comb grill on it.

Next is the Air Filter box which is where the Filter and the VAFS are housed.

The Air Filter Box connects to the Air Channel (not sure if that is technically its name but whatever).

And the Air Channel then goes into the fender to bring in air.

There are two resonators on this whole thing. One right after the VAFS (it is connected to the Air Intake Hose, I already disconnected it plugged it temp with Duck tape.) The other one is right next to the Air Channel. Again already took that out and blocked it up already. I understand their only purpose is to quiet the intake alittle more so that it doesn't have that growl noise or suction noise.

The last two are what the engine Compartment looks like with all of that out and the last one is the parts laid out on the ground.

Ok, automotive GODs please oh please give me your blessing for a cold air intake. LOL Thanks guys.

Neurowave
05-10-2004, 09:24 PM
So, two quick questions. Which one provides the highest numbers, the injen, or are they all basically the same?

Is there a specific one you guys would recommend?

Fudbalplaya87
05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I want to get this intake and I want somebody's approval on this one!!
Will I be able to install it on my elantra 03,
and does it offer good performance

Here is the website:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479718010&category=33659

Again Im waiting for someones approval!!!
thank you

watson80
05-24-2004, 06:12 PM
That should work fine I got one just like it but mine wasnt chrome. You will notice a gain.

Fudbalplaya87
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
JUst finish buying it thank you watson

oh and does this intake sound good??

OdessitPashka
05-25-2004, 12:59 AM
this intake will work and it will sounds pretty agressive and good :)

scott, accord intake should work, but you would have to leave that whole big piece with your VAFS, and then after cutting some pipes you should be able to fit that intake!!!

Fudbalplaya87
05-26-2004, 09:17 AM
For this cold air intake, I think I will need a by pass valve since I do live in florida and it rains alot around here!
I found the AEM one on ebay and was wondering if that would fit this cold air intake we were talking about. Also if not, can you guys tell me what air bypass valve would fit on this cold air intake and where I copuld get it from.

Thank a lot

carbonman
05-26-2004, 09:56 AM
fairly sure AEM is the only one who makes the Bypass valve, I could be wrong though.
You'll just have to make sure to get the proper Diameter valve for the intake you get then cut it in

2004ElantraGLS
05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
For this cold air intake, I think I will need a by pass valve since I do live in florida and it rains alot around here!
I found the AEM one on ebay and was wondering if that would fit this cold air intake we were talking about. Also if not, can you guys tell me what air bypass valve would fit on this cold air intake and where I copuld get it from.

Thank a lot

I live in Florida too, and have driven through some very heavy down pours. I've never had a problem with my intake. The filter sits up high enough off the road surface, so as long as you don't go splashing through deep *** puddles, you shouldn't have a problem. Just wanted to let you know. ;)

Axel

Fudbalplaya87
05-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Never had a problem huh?
Wow! Thanks for the advice I guess I might not be needing one after all.
Just curious, has a lack of a by pass valve accident ever happen to anyone?
how did you fix this problem? appreciate any stories or comments, thank you

scottw03
06-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Actually, I ended up buying an intake for a 94 eclipse but I need to buy and additional filter with the MAF adapter built in. It is listed on Ebay for about $50. Once I get that and relocate the battery I should be in business. the Intake runs right into the battery at the moment so thats causing me a problem. Any ideas on what I would need to relocate the battery(i.e. battery cables, wire gauge, etc...)

2XDreme
06-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Actually, I ended up buying an intake for a 94 eclipse but I need to buy and additional filter with the MAF adapter built in. It is listed on Ebay for about $50. Once I get that and relocate the battery I should be in business. the Intake runs right into the battery at the moment so thats causing me a problem. Any ideas on what I would need to relocate the battery(i.e. battery cables, wire gauge, etc...)

:hijacked: think you need to read :rulez:
Please try to keep subject on track
This is a post for Accord intakes if you would like information on different nature please start new thread ;)

jcr557
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905129555&category=38634#ebayphotohosting

2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905139369&category=38634

which one fits the 02 gls?

2GTS
06-14-2004, 10:54 AM
1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905129555&category=38634#ebayphotohosting

2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905139369&category=38634

which one fits the 02 gls?
Buy one that says it will fit the 97 accord. That is all you need to do.

Bnystrom
06-14-2004, 05:30 PM
- In order for the engine to suck in a large enough amount of water to cause hydrolock, nearly the entire intake filter would have to be submerged. That would require driving through very deep water.

- Water splashed from your own tires is already behind the intake and can't possibly get into it.

- Water splashed from an oncoming car is going to hit your car from a sideward or downward angle and is going to be blocked from reaching the intake by the bodywork.

- Installing a standard heat shield as a splashguard would eliminate rain and road spray from getting to your filter, so no water would get to the engine.

- Small amounts of water in the intake are no problem. In fact, water injection systems are (or at least were) available that intentionally introduce small amounts of water into the intake to reduce combustion temps and improve performance. I have the remnants of a Spearco water injection system collecting dust in my garage.

- Any possibility of hydrolock can be eliminated by installing a bypass valve, though the need for one is questionable.

peters73
06-20-2004, 12:49 AM
I have been hearing about a catch can or an in-line filter for your intake. I learned today that you really need this upgrade.

I took my Accord intake off and I had a good little run of oil in it. I just finished a 1200-mile drive pulling a trailer. In addition, I have done a good amount of driving as well. I did a good look over of my car before my trip and I did not have this oil.

I have read that the 3" accord intake sucks more oil than the smaller intakes.

I went ahead and installed the in-line filter and I peeked in the Throttle body. I stuck my finger in it, I pulled it out, and it was black! The throttle body has been burning carbon. The car only has like 30,000 miles on it. The throttle body was dirty. I think it is because of the oil from the engine. Now I need to clean it.

I would really recommend installing a filter or a catch can. Your Hyundai will be happy for it. :-)

This would help you:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=46353

Later on.

Bnystrom
06-21-2004, 07:07 AM
There are a couple DIY's on this on the Elantra GT club site. There's one that I did at:

http://www.elantragtclub.com/index/id405.html

peters73
06-21-2004, 01:37 PM
It's not for the PCV value, it's for the intake. I have been told not to mess with the PCV value. There is a hose that goes from the crank case to the intake (right before the throttle body). You will have to buy longer hoses but you run it from the crank case to the oil seperator back to the intake.

This prevents the oil from going into your CAI or short intake.

Blackknight04
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
New guy here. Been reading the forums for a couple of weeks and finally joined. Had my 04 Elantra 5-door for about two months and am ready to start modding. I didn't see a definite answer on whether or not the 97 accord CAI will work on the 04. Do I have to cut out for the MAF?

Nobody has answered my question. I'm waiting for an answer before I can get my intake. Someone pls help.

peters73
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes, you have to cut out the spot for the map sensor. And you have to get a couple of more couplnes.

Dust
07-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Can you guys post up what intake you bought(brand, location, price). There are f22 and v-6 accord intakes for 94-97. It would also be easier for noobs like me if you told us how long it took to install.

OdessitPashka
07-02-2004, 03:20 AM
something that has this shape....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7907751640&category=38634

from an hour to two hours to install it!

jameswing
07-02-2004, 02:40 PM
I take it that this information is not for the '04 EGT with the MAF sensor?

What Intakes will fit on a '04 GT then?

vsolo
07-14-2004, 09:31 PM
is this the same kit ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7910080569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

or does anyone about this unit or company ? http://www.audio-xtc.com/index1.html

OdessitPashka
07-14-2004, 10:36 PM
its a different design, and its alright. get a real accord cold air intake, its a real cold air intake and will flow some cold air!

SnakePool
07-31-2004, 04:23 AM
Would it be possible to get pics of what the intake should look like before it goes into the car, I see alot of intakes on ebay for 97 accords and they don't look like the ones being installed.

Nevermind I found it, I missed the post up above that has a link.

02xdGLS
08-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Just got an accord CAI in.
took about 2 hours but spent about an hour REMOVING the front left tire. it was tightened sooo much i had to jump on the wrench for a while before nuts budged and being light weight didn't help much either. Fitment wasn't so bad just had to widen the hole a little with a pilar and LOVE the sound... dat growl makes me push the car a lot.. hehe
a cheap mod with good results! =)

jeffv1970
12-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Put a accord CAI on my 01 lantra. Not bad to put in but had to cut bout 3in off the end. The filter would not fit without it. But in the end it was worth it. After resetting the ecu the car runs great, wife grips its to loud. Told her she to old. :abovelol:

DubyaO
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi folks,

Newbie here...needing some advice from the pro's:

I just put in a K&N oem stock replacement filter to hold me over till I make up my mind.

My question is this: If I get one of the '97 Accord CAI kits from eBay installed, will I need to reset the ECU/computer? If so, how? Do you have to do this for exhaust mods too? :confused:

Thanks!
DubyaO

yevRPS
01-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi folks,

Newbie here...needing some advice from the pro's:

I just put in a K&N oem stock replacement filter to hold me over till I make up my mind.

My question is this: If I get one of the '97 Accord CAI kits from eBay installed, will I need to reset the ECU/computer? If so, how? Do you have to do this for exhaust mods too? :confused:

Thanks!
DubyaO

you don't have to reset the ECU but it's a good idea to do so. to reset it just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 10-15minutes.

DubyaO
01-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the help yevRPS!!

Atomic
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Just got the AEM CAI in the car last night, the nice blue color. It was the single tube, so I had to hack at it to make it fit. And the intake is slightly smaller than the inlet on the TB, but luckily I had an adapter. It barely fits between my new yellow top and the fuse box, it took alot of cramming to get the battery to sit right. It sounds and runs like a beast again.

Now I just gotta pick a spot to hack in that Air Bypass Valve before it rains again.
BTW, after 2 oil changes, NO WATER!!!!! Woohoo!!

I'll take pics as soon as the camera I ordered gets in and I figure out how to use it.

EDIT(CAMERA'S IN):
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2073&stc=1
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2074&stc=1

Atomic
03-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Update, sorry for the quick/blurry pics.

jayupark
04-22-2005, 10:50 PM
I installed my CAI. It was a 2 piece for a 94-97 Accord. I had to make some cuts to accomadate the MAF, and cut the bottom pipe too because it was too long (it would have been hydrolock bait!). After a couple of tries, I got everything in and ready to go. I used some of the fittings from the stock intake system (and some ductape) for the MAF, it fit perfectly into the 3" tubing (2.75 would have required another adaptor). I'll post a pic if you want to see my simple fabrication.

It rocks! There is DEFINATELY more power past 2500 RPM (accompanied by a nice growl!), it's very noticable, I was not expecting that much extra power! Also, though the gas mileage around town is roughly the same (actually, it might be better because I'm accelerating harder now, but getting the same EPA), but on the highway I'm getting 3-4 MPG more !!!! (I took it on a 20 mile trip just to test, same speed as I always drive, and I did not "cheat" by resetting on the highway (or right before I got onto the highway) 36.5 mpg baby!).

It's funny though, at idle when standing outside of the car, I notice that it makes a lowpitched "whirrring/humming sound", kinda reminds me of a UFO hovering sound in an old sci-fi movie.

If you don't have a CAI, get one now! Seriously, the improved gas mileage alone would be a good reason. For the 04, I did not even have to relocate my battery... just some extra cutting of the piping (I would recommend getting one that has the 2 piece pipe... or you could just get a 1 piece and cut it in half and buy a couple more fittings). Just be careful of hydrolock...

Have fun people.

paki
05-24-2005, 10:56 PM
is this intake worth it? doesnt even state a brand..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976806778&category=38634

Item number: 7976806778

jfreak921
05-24-2005, 11:47 PM
is this intake worth it? doesnt even state a brand..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976806778&category=38634

Item number: 7976806778

It will be fine, but if you have an 04-05 you'll have to cut a place for the MAF sensor. If you don't, you'll still have to cut some of the end off so the filter will fit inside the fender well.

Money
05-25-2005, 12:59 AM
When you get an Accord CAI do you use the anti-vibration hardware or do you just throw it out when it gets to your doorstep? If you do use it what and where do you drill into?

This is the one I am looking at...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976753002&category=38634...
or maybe this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976337367&category=38634...which one would be better?

Also, when I get the airram intake manifold would I have to get a different CAI, or would it still fit?

A&F 01 GLS
05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
If i have an 01 GLS will i need to cut into the CAI for the MAF sensor or no.

Steve
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
'01's don't have the MAF sensor, it started on '04 models. The '01's meter the air from inside the intake manifold using a different type of sensor.

jayupark
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
When you get an Accord CAI do you use the anti-vibration hardware or do you just throw it out when it gets to your doorstep? If you do use it what and where do you drill into?

This is the one I am looking at...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976753002&category=38634...
or maybe this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976337367&category=38634...which one would be better?

Also, when I get the airram intake manifold would I have to get a different CAI, or would it still fit?

I've heard that the foam intake does not protect as well as a cotton one. If the second one is foam (which it looks like, you could contact the seller to confirm) I would go with the first one.

But be careful. In the listing description for the first one, it says "this short ram racing air intake system"... is it a short ram or a cold air intake? You better contact the seller and ask him to clarify.

Money
05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Good eye I didn't even catch that the first time around. :D

juvenile2k
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
just put this baby on my 01 gls. used whole system no cutting of intake took about 30 minutes. its run between battery and fuse box then i cut some metal away from where the stock intake wasy and is ducted down to the left front foglight and it sits perfectly infront of it. I will get some pics soon. this is the intake i used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7980283403&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

sorry for the crappy pics they r with my cell. u can carely see the cone filter through the foglight vent. but its somewhat visible.

hyunelan2
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
^^Make sure you put some rubber or other type of 'barrier' material around the hole you cut into the fenderwall. If it rubs against the CAI 'tube' it will eventually rub a hole throught the CAI.

05elantracustom
06-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey guys,
I know it has to be a 94-97 honda accord intake but does it matter if it is LX,DX,EX or any other x when you order it? also what works best 1 2 or 3 pc or the best brand to use? thanks

jyfgt
06-24-2005, 03:29 AM
trim level doesnt matter. read the rest of the thread to find out about #of pieces.

felixr
06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
dont know if this should go here or not but i just wanted to add this since there are a lot of newbs comin on the site and getting these. please be careful with the cheapie cone filters that come with the ebay cai's. i just replaced mine this morning (converted a cai into an sri-has been this way for about 2 months) and the filter was melted and separated from the rubber nipple thingy about 3/4's of the way around. and little chunks came falling out when i separated it.

remember guys, it gets really hot in there. if you use a short version keep the shield that its in there. and try to stick to k&n . . . i know its like 60 bucks but you buy it once. i just paid 30 bucks for a cheapie filter cause they didnt have the k&n in stock. and with the cost of the last one i already paid for a k&n. plus i cleaned it once instead of replacing it which i shoulda done . . . anyway, my point it that in reality i would have spent wayyy more than 60 bucks in cheapie filters being changed as opposed to a k&n that you never get rid of-you just clean and oil.

guys, just spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks for the k&n. . . trust me

peters73
07-15-2005, 01:49 PM
I am looking for a intake for my 05. I have my Accord 3" intake from my 03 Elantra. I would rather go with a 2.25 or a 2.75" intake.

I came upon this, would this would ok with the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tiburon-Elantra-Cold-Air-Intake-2-0L-1997-2001-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ7986 164960QQrdZ1

Thank you

pjc6281
07-16-2005, 10:06 AM
no, i tried that with my 04 and it doesnt fit our generation of elantra. Try sticking with a 2.5 inch accord intake if u have an automatic. If not then go with the 2.75 diameter one.

peters73
07-17-2005, 11:28 PM
no, i tried that with my 04 and it doesnt fit our generation of elantra. Try sticking with a 2.5 inch accord intake if u have an automatic. If not then go with the 2.75 diameter one.

That's cool. Thanks. I have a manual so I can go with the 2.5 or the 2.75. The 3" CAI that I had on my 03 Elantra made more upper range HP. The smaller the pipe would make lower power in the rpm range. I might stink with the 2.5, how hard was it for you to cut the piping? I would also like to keep the plastic shield that attaches to the air box. I am not going to keep this 3" intake from my 03, I'll try to sell it. It has a custom bracket on it, it works really nice.

Rapier587
07-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I have an '05 GLS and I was wondering if the AEM short ram intake will fit in my car.

sleepered
07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
somebody posted (Just like evofusion exhaust? lol jk!) whats wrong with it?

Money
07-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Here is what I did with my MAF sensor-
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2060000-2060999/2060360_3_full.jpg
I used the stock coupler on one side and a regular coupler on the other side. I had to run the stock coupler under hot water for a while to get it to expand to 3", looking back I wish I would have gotten a smaller diameter intake. maybe 2.75" or even 2.5", I had to turn the battery tray a little sideways and re-mount it. I think it looks kinda cool crooked.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2060000-2060999/2060360_2_full.jpg
I will try to get better pics later.

Seinster
07-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Looks really good Money. :)
The battery tray does look good like that.
I really like the blue engine accents too, it really sets it off. :cool:

"looking back I wish I would have gotten a smaller diameter intake" --> same. :redface:

Money
07-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I just bought a can of high heat spray paint, sanded the pieces down, except the caps, and primed them with Kilz primer, then painted them.

SnakePool
07-24-2005, 01:38 AM
I had my intake on my '04 exactly like that, 4 months later I cut it into a short ram. Reason being is, I found that it was getting alot of water into the intake. In a month pull your couplers apart and you will see water in the joints, installing a bypass is my advice. I installed a K&N air filter, $75, last week. Big performance and sound difference.

DAILLESTWUN
07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I had my intake on my '04 exactly like that, 4 months later I cut it into a short ram. Reason being is, I found that it was getting alot of water into the intake. In a month pull your couplers apart and you will see water in the joints, installing a bypass is my advice. I installed a K&N air filter, $75, last week. Big performance and sound difference.

Not really anything new to us..lol

pat
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Can someone post a DIY on the install of a CAI for a 04 elantra gt with the MAF SENSOR

mtlelantra
08-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Can someone post a DIY on the install of a CAI for a 04 elantra gt with the MAF SENSOR
Measure how long the MAF is, hacksaw a section of the upper pipe out maybe an inch or 2 longer than the MAF. Get 2 couplers, 4 clamps and fit everything together. It's like LEGO.

MrGisriel
08-22-2005, 09:54 PM
And the beat goes on...... and the beat goes on

evan938
08-26-2005, 01:19 AM
well. i finally got sick of looking @ my ****ty *** 90 degree pipe SRI, so i ordered a 40$ shipped accord intake from ebay. im still worried about getting water sucked up like my last one, so im going to try to fab something up to sit behind the foglight cover to block water coming in, and paint it black to blend in. i think im going to check on getting it powdercoated black caus i dont want the bling-chrome look

evan938
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
w00t!. came in today. going to install after work. AEM bypass valve should be here tomorrow or friday. 20$ from gonzo777 on EC. SCORE. whole intake+valve for 60$ shipped

evan938
09-03-2005, 01:59 AM
ok. couple pics. this is a great package for 40$ shipped. came w/ 3" intake, tubing, couplers, air filter, brakcets for support, and some rubber to go around the fender when it gets cut to keep from scratching the intake (didnt use it b/c i used some rubber hose last time i had an intake)..i wasnt thrilled about the filter @ first b/c the bottom of it is a thin fine mesh, but thinking abotu it, even w/ the bypass valve, if water got in there, water will go through mesh a lot easier then thru the filter. i did have to cut the battery tray a little, and the fender was already cut. had to take off about 6-8 inches from the end of the 2nd pipe the goes into the fender well as it was too long. heres the pics

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/PICT4915.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/PICT4917.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/PICT4932.jpg

edit...the fog hole cover to prevent any water from hitting the filter directly

Igor
11-08-2005, 01:45 AM
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=194&pid=1067

do u guys think this will work on 04+

pjc6281
11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
no, it will end up fitting near the battery and there is no room in that corner with the battery there and the filter being so wide and big. Also there is a second opening in the top where another line goes in for the vac tube i think, we just need one. The first intake i purchased was one made for this year tib and i have an 04. Just get an accord 94-97 4cyl and be prepared to cut. Its not that hard and worth it for the buck

mtlelantra
11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
no, it will end up fitting near the battery and there is no room in that corner with the battery there and the filter being so wide and big. Also there is a second opening in the top where another line goes in for the vac tube i think, we just need one. The first intake i purchased was one made for this year tib and i have an 04. Just get an accord 94-97 4cyl and be prepared to cut. Its not that hard and worth it for the buck

A few of us have it beside the battery... just have to move the battery over a few inches, nothing too bad. Someone here got an AEM (I think) tibby intake to fit- even the mount is in the same place. Yet another person got an accord intake to fit beside the battery, but got the filter right snug in the wall so that the battery is still in place. It gets cold air there, especially if you take out the resonator. The extra opening can be plugged off.

I think cosmo is run out of some guys house close to where I live. I thought about getting an intake from him off of ebay cuz it would have been cheaper to pay the higher cost of the intake but pick it free cuz he's close, than get a cheaper intake but have to pay $30 shipping... well, when I asked if I could do local pickup, he told me not to bid on ebay, and he'd sell it for $XX (I think only $5 less than ebay price + shipping) which in the end was more than the cheapie accord + shipping elsewhere.

peters73
11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Has anyone tried this short ram?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CF-04-05-2004-2005-Hyundai-Elantra-2-0L-I4-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8013 715092QQtcZphoto

Vampyrate
11-15-2005, 03:01 PM
evan, where did you get that cover for the fog light? i want to get one for mine when i install it weds. night

peters73
11-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey folks, I am selling my accord intake - https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=139902#post139902

peters73
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Has anyone tried this short ram? Do I need to have a bracket and a heat shield?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-2004-2005-Hyundai-Elantra-2-0L-I4-Full-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8017 466867QQtcZphoto

Thanks.

eclaixp
12-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Hello, newb here. I recently got a 05 silver Elantra GLS automatic. I am very interested in doing this CAI mod. If I had the choice, should I get a 2.5" or 2.75" CAI and WHY?

Here are my 2 choices:

2.5" CAI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8024538417)

2.75" CAI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8024589375)

Also, I do want to replace the sway bar. Will the infamous 03 Tibby GT V6 (55511-2C000) sway bar work for my car? Also, is there a place or someone that sells them cheap for us (ElantraXD'rs)? ;) or should I just check my local junkyards? BTW, I am in Florida, close to Miami. If someone knows of a place or junkyard that specializes in Hyundai parts, please let me know. Sorry for the noob questions, I have read the stickies all around the forum but I just want to confirm all this as I am not a car savy. Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, advice, etc...

Merry Christmas!

ba_feitl
12-26-2005, 11:21 AM
In short #1 (with exception) and Yes.

The tibby bar from the '03 GT will be a bolt up install with no problems. Make sure it's the 19.2mm bar, green dot marked. Some people have had trouble ordering the right bar from the dealers but that seems to be orderer error. Can't speak to a FL junkyard but you shuld spend about $65 for the bar incl. endlinks and a jy versus $150+ at a dealer for the same.

As for the first CAI you listed as a 2.5" option check with them first on the diameter. I almost bought from them until I emailed first and that one is actually 2.75" per his response. With an automatic you probably want the 2.5" so just be sure to ask before you buy, don't assume the description is written correctly.

Why ... 2.5" gives a better low end due to more restriction and sucking action. 3.0" the higher end bump in power as it starts that sucking of air later. 2.75" obviously a middle compromise.

and welcome

Brad

eclaixp
12-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks a bunch Brad for the info. I actually did contact the seller about the pipe's diameter and you were right, it is a 2.75" not a 2.5. I guess I'll have to stick to 2.75 unless anyone knows where I could obtain a 2.5" one. Another question, I recently bought a 3" K&N cone filter # RU-3580 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-3580) to use on a CAI, will I have trouble using/fitting it on a 2.5" or 2.75" CAI? I asked this question on this thread (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12688) but didn't get an answer.

Can't speak to a FL junkyard but you shuld spend about $65 for the bar incl. endlinks and a jy versus $150+ at a dealer for the same.Brad, did you mean that I could find the sway bar and metal end links for around $65 from a Junkyard as oposed to $150 from the dealer? Also, I believe I read in other threads about a guy named Jay that sells new whole sets (sway bar, end links, and bushings) for $125 shipped, is this true? If so, is he still selling them and how can I contact him?

Thanks,

Ed

ba_feitl
12-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Not sure who is still selling them on the board ... there have been a couple along the way but there is usually someone on the board that works at a Hyundai parts department. And yep I ordered mine for $65 from a junkyard + shipping it included endlinks and bushings.

Brad

PSUsouthpaw
12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, I just bought it now on Ebay. Accord intake, $11.99+ 28.99 shipping...you know...wonder what the real costs are behind this item? I can't complain though, I'm getting an air intake for about $50 ($40+couplers for my MAF) Hopefully I can get this installed before I leave for Florida...would make for a nicer trip down...

Best thing about this mod is that if need be you can convert it to Short Ram intake in a jiffy.

Pics to follow.

eclaixp
12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, I just bought it now on Ebay. Accord intake, $11.99+ 28.99 shipping...you know...wonder what the real costs are behind this item? I can't complain though, I'm getting an air intake for about $50 ($40+couplers for my MAF) Hopefully I can get this installed before I leave for Florida...would make for a nicer trip down...

Best thing about this mod is that if need be you can convert it to Short Ram intake in a jiffy.

Pics to follow.

Who did you buy it from (seller's user ID or item #)? What is the pipe's diameter? I am planning to get it from this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8025241326

who I believe is also the same individual that sells many other ones but using different ID's. I cound't find a single seller who is selling 2.5" pipes on eBay or anywhere online. Few of them misrepresentate their pipe's diamter by stating 2.5" but if you ask them, they'll tell you it's a 2.75" just like ba_feitl said.

PSUsouthpaw
12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
the user name was Pitcrews or something of the like, I'll have to check my ebay account again. I'm not too worried about the pipe size, I figure I'll work it all out once it shows up, hopefuly before I leave for Florida.

PSUsouthpaw
01-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, it showed up today, barely in time for me to have some time for the install. 2.5 diameter, 2 piece accord intake. The product showed up on my porch at some point between 230 and 500 pm, in a rather huge box. Got it out and picked it up by the one side of the tube, only to find my fingers covered in dirt from the inside of the tube that goes to the throttle body. Looked inside and saw metal shavings and all inside. I'm a little bit irked by that. I'm going out later on tonight to pick up another pair of silicone couplers to accomodate the MAF sensor.

korai9989
01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Damn, what if someone didn't clean the inside out before they installed it, ouch. They should have taken care of that before they packaged it. damn people are getting lazy.

PSUsouthpaw
01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
America in general is, but thats a discussion for the flame forum. Got two silicone couplers from autozone, $5 each, should be worth it. Debating whether I should break out the hacksaw tonight yet and start working on the intake, but I think I'll do it by light tomorrow morning.

dubwiser
01-16-2006, 02:07 AM
sorry to thread-jack, but i have a '99 elantra 2 liter, 4-cylinder AUTO, and am having trouble installing a CAI i bought of ebay. i was hoping yamaha could maybe help with this since it looks like he's got a '99 as well? he's got a SRI, has anyone seen a CAI installed on an automatic? PLEASE HELP!

it's a two-piece CAI and cannot find ANY space for it in the engine compartment after removing all the OEM intake pieces. i have a AEM CAI in my '90 honda accord ex that installed without any problems. that intake sits in front of the front-right tire in the fender. it also has one, possibly two, hoses connected to some other parts. all that i see in the intake for the elantra is the hole for the air temperature sensor. i'm told air filter is supposed to fit beside the battery or below it. i don't see how it is supposed to fit after seeing how little space is left even after removing the OEM pieces.

here are some pics for reference. tell me i'm missing something! if this won't fit, can anyone help me find one that will for my '99 elantra, 2 liter, AUTO? this is getting a little annoying...

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1371/img01205rz.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6827/img01069qi.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/347/img01109up.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2683/img01138xc.jpg

Vampyrate
01-16-2006, 02:16 AM
could i get a more "complete" pic of your engine, like where the stock intake would run into the resonator box. im not familar with the J2 engine compartment design, but for the XD and up, there is a space in the fenderwell and the piping is cut to fit (which you most likely will have to do)

korai9989
01-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Is there a hole under the battery that goes into the area under the fender? If there is, it's just a matter of routing it weird or moving the battery. Otherwise, i can't be of much help without some fuller pics (^like he said).

dubwiser
01-16-2006, 02:41 AM
thanks for the quick replies! pics'll have to wait 'til tomorrow. glad i'm off work. i was hoping to get this thing installed this weekend!

please check back throughout the day tomorrow afternoon. i'm in pac time zone, hopefully you guys can help me tomorrow!

thanks again for your input.

*edit*

here's another pic. i circled a possible location in red. i don't know if it's correct. this would require removal of the driver side tire and cutting a hole in the sheet metal. none of this was described in the instructions that came with the CAI 'customized' for my particular vehicle. they pretty much said take out the OEM stuff and bolt on the new CAI and you're ready for the road! wtf? note the resonator box was removed after taking this pic (highlighted in yellow).

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7624/img01036hx.jpg

Vampyrate
01-16-2006, 10:53 AM
okay, most likely you will have to get under the car and look for any piping that is leading into the engine compartment, this may mean removing the tire and jacking up your car. though it is 2 different generations of car, i feel that the intake systems are similar

wait, i think i just may have figured it out... instead of running into the fender like everyone else is thinking, perhaps your CAI was cut to run near the radiator....
not sure how much that helps, but just a thought

ba_feitl
01-16-2006, 11:05 AM
J2's mount right above the transmission not in the fender well as the XD's do...

first you need to remove all of the intkae tubing from the TB forward. Looks like you only started at the air box.

come straight off the TB into a 90 degree bend to front of the car to just behind the radiator and then a 90 degree turn down mount filter. Done.

... not sure if you have an auto trans but I believe there is more difficulty since the trans takes up for space.

Brad

dubwiser
01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
alright, here are some more pics of the engine bay on the hyundai and the honda. excuse the grimyness, my resolution is to start keeping my vehicle in clean, reliable condition. but first, i'd like to install this CAI and then work on preventative maintenance.

hyundai:

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9591/img01402nn.jpg

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1992/img01505pc.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6267/img01529kx.jpg

none of these pieces can connect to the new CAI, only the air temp sensor as shown below. so what do i do with them? just let them hang free in the engine compartment? i don't think so...

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2766/img01427qv.jpg

here you can see the space i'm working with. is that the auto tranny below?

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/151/img01464eq.jpg

here's the battery. note this is the negative terminal and i cannot disconnect it due to the tight angle. i tried with a rachet set but i don't have enough space to attach it. i haven't tried to yet, but can i just twist the terminal towards the right so i have room to unbolt it?

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/296/img01443fz.jpg

the 1990 honda accord ex:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7569/img01538lg.jpg

PSUsouthpaw
01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Just get in there with a stubby 10 or 12 mm wrench and you'll get it off okay.

As for those pieces that don't connect to the intake, you may have a problem. The lower one could possibly be left off, although I don't know what the result would be, other than oil vapor being released into the engine bay. The upper hose represents a problem-thats the Idle air controller ( I think thats the name, it bypasses the throttle body while the car is idling.) You'll defintely need to figure out a way to incorporate it.

mtlelantra
01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
alright, here are some more pics of the engine bay on the hyundai and the honda.

Dude, why don't you take all the bubble wrap off the pieces of the CAI so we can actually see it and see what it has for connections etc.
As for the circled stuff- that big inline tube is your MAF. You need it, so you'll probably have to hacksaw a section out of the CAI to accomodate it (you'll need 2 extra couplers + some clamps). There should be at least one nipple for the hose that connects to the crankcase. Might have to drill and get an adapter for the larger inlet on the back side. As for that red dipstick- yup, part of the the automatic tranny.
As for the battery- get a 10 mm (or whatever it is) open-end box wrench. I can't see that not fitting. Lefty loosey.

ricerrx7
01-16-2006, 04:35 PM
If needed, you could put breather filters on each of those tubes. It looks like that intake moves the MAF, probably won't hurt anything, but make sure the wires will reach.

SJSniperJoe
01-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Say.... That looks alot like my Engine Bay, I have a 2001 Tiburon. In FAct That is my ENGINE bay! If you bought a 2001 Tiburon CAI, I gaurantee it would fit that engine bay. I made/forced my CAI and filter to come out near the bottom of the radiator, was not excited about cutting through the fender wall. you can see my filter barely hanging down if you lay down and look under my car.

ricerrx7
01-16-2006, 05:04 PM
If you posted some pics it might help him...

dubwiser
01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Dude, why don't you take all the bubble wrap off the pieces of the CAI so we can actually see it and see what it has for connections etc.

because it only has ONE hole for the air temperature sensor, nothing else, and i plan on returning it or reselling it.

the seller did not mention ANY modification of the unit to fit my vehicle, hence the 'customized' CAI for a 1999 hyundai elantra 2 liter, 4-cylinder.

i'll just get a K&N air filter. f' this BS.

Say.... That looks alot like my Engine Bay, I have a 2001 Tiburon. In FAct That is my ENGINE bay! If you bought a 2001 Tiburon CAI, I gaurantee it would fit that engine bay. I made/forced my CAI and filter to come out near the bottom of the radiator, was not excited about cutting through the fender wall. you can see my filter barely hanging down if you lay down and look under my car.

i didn't buy a 2001 tiburon CAI, i bought a 1999 hyundai elantra CAI as advertised.

please post some pics if possible.

PSUsouthpaw
01-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Not meaning to threadjack, But I made a rather stupid mistake before I left for Florida. I wanted to get my intake installed, but didn't have time to do the entire thing. I cut the one piece to accomodate the MAF (throttle body to MAF) and than clamped the filter to the MAF housing. However, looking in my car the other day for the rest of the pieces I realized something...I forgot the rest of the piece to go from MAF to the battery area at home. I still have the L shaped tube that would go from behind the battery to down in the fender. Do you guys think I could adapt that piece to go from MAF to in between battery and fender with just the filter (Like that Tiburon short ram that was posted up here some time ago?

(Whatever I do can't be too heavy on work, Disney prohibits working on the Car on their property, so I may have to do it in some pakring lot whenever I get around to it.)

dubwiser
01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
like just attaching the filter to the MAF? shouldn't be a problem.

PSUsouthpaw
01-20-2006, 02:11 AM
I already have the filter attached to the MAF. I was hoping to use up the extra pipe I have sitting in my trunk.

dubwiser
01-20-2006, 12:48 PM
oh, you mean using that extra piece to go in between the MAF and the filter?

yeah, you should be able to use it.

re: disneyworld. so you actually live on the premises? weird.

Seinster
01-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Edit: WOW I got PWNED. :D Sorry forgot about your job...

Having the filter directly connected to the MAF doesn't sound ideal, the way I picture it, the filter will be sucking in a LOT of heat. But I don't know if it will damage anything or not. As long as it's temporary you'll be fine I reckon.

PSUsouthpaw
01-20-2006, 06:36 PM
re: disneyworld. so you actually live on the premises? weird.

I live in an apartment complex owned and operated by Disney for the Disney college program. They don't want people messing with their cars on property (cleanliness and image reasons)

I'm talking about using the other L pipe to wedge the filter between battery and fender (But not down in the fender where the traditional intake would sit.

dubwiser
01-22-2006, 02:35 AM
sounds like how mine is supposed to fit. i haven't got a chance to try again, but the seller sent me some pics of the installed CAI:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8433/intakesample1999hyundaielantra.jpg

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4605/intakesample1999hyundaielantra1.jpg

once mine is installed i'll post some pics. i think i have to remove some more pieces underneath the battery. in any case, it looks like it'll be a tight fit. i wish someone else could chime in with some advice.

danofthejungle
03-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Is it possible to get the 90-93 Accord 2-piece CAI and just cut the excess off of the 2nd pipe (it looks like the only difference is that the 2nd pipe is longer)
It's difficult to find a 2.5"/2.75" diam. CAI on eBay. For the 94-97 models, they all seem to be 3".
Is 3" ok, or should I keep looking for a 2.5" or 2.75" diam CAI?

I have a stock '03 GT and I am looking to start modding it.

PSUsouthpaw
03-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Is it possible to get the 90-93 Accord 2-piece CAI and just cut the excess off of the 2nd pipe (it looks like the only difference is that the 2nd pipe is longer)
It's difficult to find a 2.5"/2.75" diam. CAI on eBay. For the 94-97 models, they all seem to be 3".

It might be possible, someone just has to try it and find out. Thats how we've managed to amass so much knowledge here, people trying new things. I say go for it man!

dubwiser
04-11-2006, 05:26 PM
finally installed the ebay intake for my '99 and took some flicks. i had to remove the battery tray and it rubs against the filter a little bit, but overall the battery fits pretty snug. had it in for a couple of weeks now and so far no problems. sounds great, gas mileage has improved and acceleration has increased. can't beat a $30 upgrade!

when i had an AEM CAI in my '90 honda accord it made this loud hissing noise in idle and when you shut the engine off it let out a big 'exhale'. also, idle rev was at like 1.5RPM and sometimes it would rev repeatedly while stopped. it was annoying to say the least. it failed smog so i sold it to the state (CA) for $1,000 and put that towards this elantra. i'm real happy that this intake makes absolutely NO noise whatsoever; just the low growl you'd expect during acceleration. i got a decent ride on a budget and all i wanted to do was get the CAI for it. now i wanna install them on everyone's ride since they're so easy and well worth the added performance.

http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/2310/img03157rk.jpg

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/448/img03221dn.jpg

my ONLY concern at this time is whether or not it's getting much cold air since it sits right near the radiator? as you can see, it does receive cold air from the gap in between the front bumper, but i'm also concerned that it may suck in water during heavy rain. cali got dumped on recently so i drove it a little slow/cautious and i didn't hear any weird noises coming from the engine but i'm wondering if i should carry a piece of plastic in the trunk to place in the front bumper to shield the filter a bit more during heavy rain? anyone think i'm trippin?

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/619/img03217pp.jpg

j0hnh0lmes
04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Just get a bypass valve. like 13 maybe more on ebay

Keyan
04-11-2006, 07:27 PM

I just recently bought a 90-93 accord 2-peice that is 2.75". The bends are a little extreme, but I will take pics when I am done modding it to make it fit...........:):)

poppawheelie
04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I went the ghetto route and just got a filter thats the same size as the tube coming off the throttle body and just skrood it on there with the hose clamp. Then it was bouncing around a lot and I was afraid it would fall off so I took some metal strapping that plumbers use and made a sort of bracket to hold it on. Ghetto. Not Ghetto Fabulous, just Ghetto.

j0hnh0lmes
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I can't seem to find an accord intake under 3"...any suggestions?

Jasoninaz
05-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Hello,

Anyone know if this will work with a 2001 GLS? How would it be mounted? and is what the hell is that extra hose for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8068384213&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or should I get a diffrent SRI like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-03-Hyundai-Elantra-2-0L-I4-Full-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQitemZ8068182744QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

I'm thinking the second one would be best, or am I wrong?

Thanks from a newb,

Jason

elantra_mann84
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
my 03 elantrs has a maf so shold i use the tibby one or the accord?

j0hnh0lmes
06-30-2006, 10:58 AM
accord....just cut it and work the maf in there...

elantra_mann84
07-09-2006, 03:42 AM
thank you

would this work i got an 03 gls with a maf cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-Hyundai-Tiburon-V6-GT-Cold-Air-Intake-NEW_W0QQitemZ300005171734QQihZ020QQcategoryZ38634Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bmxdad
08-28-2006, 11:49 PM

Don't know if it will help, but here's a link fic your problem ...

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=25610

X1LE
09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
EDIT - nvm, figured out my own q.

bmxdad
10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
If this has already asked ... sorry, but its a long thread.

I have a CAI from Tenzo Racing for the 93 - 97 Accord. and its a two piece design.

Has anyone done a howto with pictures? If not, does anyone have some pictures of the same type. I have a Kia Spectra5 with a manual, but its the same as the newer Elantras ...

Thanks for any help ...

txdproject
10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
If this has already asked ... sorry, but its a long thread.

I have a CAI from Tenzo Racing for the 93 - 97 Accord. and its a two piece design.

Has anyone done a howto with pictures? If not, does anyone have some pictures of the same type. I have a Kia Spectra5 with a manual, but its the same as the newer Elantras ...

Thanks for any help ...

should be in the diy section... and almost the exact same..not sure if you guys have the fender hole in the same place like we do but you probley do

Yozick
10-04-2006, 12:32 AM
fender hole is in the same place and even the same size so even for a 2.75" dia. pipe the whole will need to be enlarged.

txdproject
10-04-2006, 12:57 AM
fender hole is in the same place and even the same size so even for a 2.75" dia. pipe the whole will need to be enlarged.

yup his right... i had a 2.75dia cold air intake and i had to enlarge

bmxdad
10-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Duh ... should have looked there first, but it dosn't show how the MAF is installed. Was the first tube cut, or was the MAF put into place where the two pieces go togeather.

I just did a quick look at what I have and looks like I'll have to do some cutting.

txdproject, do you have any pictures of your install?

And yea, the whole front engine compartment setup is like yours ... so far :)

Thanks for the help guys ...

txdproject
10-04-2006, 02:30 AM
yea im sure i do...and i know alot of peeps have pics of it in the diy

redbull_ng
10-22-2006, 08:15 PM
OK OK... i got one question.. will the 94-97 4cyl Accord CAI fit a 06 elantra? (and i know if it does i have to cut to make the MAF) right?

Keyan
10-22-2006, 09:17 PM
yes it should fit.

redbull_ng
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
thanxs =-)

sodapop
10-23-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm debating between an SRi and a CAI. Here are my two questions.

1. Has anyone had trouble with snow gunking up their CAI's when they open up the inner wheel well.

2. Has anyone added a hood scoop in conjunction with an SRI to gets some cold air near the filter. i've seen the guys that have made dryer vent cold air shoots that run up there but haven't seen any hood scoops yet. It would have to look good though.

redbull_ng
10-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok took all the info that i read about the Accord CAI, and went on Ebay and got one.. Just wandering if i did anything wrong :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/blueraven_ng/CAI.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/blueraven_ng/CAI2.jpg

U cant really see the filter cause of the mesh.. but its there..
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/blueraven_ng/CAI3.jpg

Any suggestion or comments?

sorry for the fuzzy pics.. its from my phone..

joph09
10-29-2006, 04:17 PM
did you use any brakets to help prevent rubbing and make sure it's not hitting the master cylinder

either wise it looks good

redbull_ng
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
did you use any brakets to help prevent rubbing and make sure it's not hitting the master cylinder

either wise it looks good

its really snug in there..

its not that close to the master cylinder, but i will look in too making some type of brakets..
thanxs

the kit didnt come with any brakets.. so ill make some today :-)

tharptroy
10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
looks like the pipe is nasty crooked going into the TB. cut one of the pipes down where they meet the MAF to fix that. put something to keep it from rubbing through where it goes into the fender too.

KeWLKaT
10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
^^^ yeah cut some of the pipe dude, it looks crooked.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

redbull_ng
10-29-2006, 11:18 PM
cool thanxs guy will do =-)

Captain Fuzzy
11-04-2006, 11:14 PM
ok...not all 94-97 accord cai will work. the one i bought came from a catalog from work, its an APC. battery is in the way and its too short filter is right over the fenderwell

PSUsouthpaw
11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
the battery can make it a VERY tight fit, and how far over the fenderwell is it? Being low is good, but being up there you get the cold air benefit and the safe from water benefit, if i'm reading this right.

joph09
11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
the battery can make it a VERY tight fit, and how far over the fenderwell is it? Being low is good, but being up there you get the cold air benefit and the safe from water benefit, if i'm reading this right.

yup thats where i got mine, the filter is easy to get to

Captain Fuzzy
11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
i dont think i can even get the filter on with the battery in place...its a lil to the left of it if you are standing with the bumper at your knees

i went down and tried again....i put the filter on and tried hookin everything up.....no way in hell...battery wont go back, filter takes up all the room

joph09
11-05-2006, 12:38 AM
it will fit you just have to take the battery and battery tray out, cut the battery tray edge on the left side(closest to engine) place everything back that way you can slide the battery over enough to the left to fit the filter

bmxdad
11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
This is the hole you guys are dropping the tube through right? The filter will sit down inside the fender well, right?

http://www.streetkiaz.com/streetkiazx/uploads/photos/6187.jpg

Captain Fuzzy
11-05-2006, 12:50 AM
it will fit you just have to take the battery and battery tray out, cut the battery tray edge on the left side(closest to engine) place everything back that way you can slide the battery over enough to the left to fit the filter

hmm, didnt think of that, got a pic??

for giggles i threw on the just the filter and i love the sound already

joph09
11-05-2006, 01:47 AM
This is the hole you guys are dropping the tube through right? The filter will sit down inside the fender well, right?

Yes it is check out the DIY if your tubing is 2.75"-3" you'll need to do alittle bending to make that hole wider

hmm, didnt think of that, got a pic??

i'll get one for you tomorrow i think there might be one on this thread from someone else

Captain Fuzzy
11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Yes it is check out the DIY if your tubing is 2.75"-3" you'll need to do alittle bending to make that hole wider

i'll get one for you tomorrow i think there might be one on this thread from someone else

thanx, ill see if i can find one too

joph09
11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5581&stc=1

here you go it's 2.75"

Captain Fuzzy
11-06-2006, 01:10 AM
thanx alot....how much cutting did you have to take out...that right where mine went when the battery was out

joph09
11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
i know i cut out quite a bit because i have maf but i can't remember how much

Captain Fuzzy
11-06-2006, 02:09 AM
so just cut a bit outta of the left side of the tray and put all there and see where i need the battery to be at?....will the hold down still work or will i have to rig somethin up

Captain Fuzzy
11-06-2006, 10:55 PM
sadly i have to just cut it to a SRI.....we looked at everyway possible but nothin but still, very loud :D

thewilson
11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi Everyone

This is one of those sub 60 dollar CAI for the proper year model accords.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-96-97-Honda-Accord-4Cyl-Cold-Air-Intake-1994-1997_W0QQitemZ180046347421QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38634 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have an 03 GLS and when I look at my stock intake I'm not seeing a tube/hose come off of it anywhere. The pictured CAI in the ebay auction has like a spot for a hose and some stuff I didn't think I would/should have. Can you tell I haven't done much with my car ... kinda newbian of me to ask like this but I really wanna know before I get this. Also as far as replacing the crappy filter with a K&N Filter does the filter on a CAI just get shoved in there or do I have to find some couplings or what?

Thanks hopefully this is ontopic enough i don't like angering the forum gods as it were since I dont post too much

Marcus
*[Edit 8:00AM CST]*
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/9858/cai2buyca6.th.jpg (http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cai2buyca6.jpg)
I circled the parts im confused about

mtlelantra
11-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Yes, the stock intake has a hose. As for the CAI, you have to take out the stock intake: the upper elbow, the airbox, the elbow that connects the airbox to the resonator, and the resonator in the fenderwell.
There is a replacement K&N panel filter that fits in the stock airbox but it's different from a CAI filter.

thewilson
11-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Ok found the hose and fixed that confusion. I've read the DIY CAI guide and a few others online but am confused on how the filter connects to the end of the CAI. Is there another silicone connector, does it screw in, is it just a tight fit? Also concerning Accord CAI's when you cut pieces off what can you use to smooth the egdes? In my experience hacksawing metal leaves rough cut a piece off your finger edges. Thanks for the help

mtlelantra
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
The round opening of the cone filter is rubberized so it just clamps down on the tubing with a hose clamp. After hacksawing, you can use anything that you'd normally use to smooth something down: metal file, sandpaper, etc.

thewilson
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
That is awesome. I should be ordering that CAI this Thursday and then should be here and installed about a week from then. Thank you very much mtlelantra :bowdown: :bowdown:

mtlelantra
11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Make sure you clean the inside of the tubing out thoroughly after you cut and smooth. You don't want any stray bits of metal making it's way into your engine.

bmxdad
11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I noticed the picture from JOPH09 ... should'nt that filter be going down into the fenderwell, where the resonator was? The filter should end up in the fender with the inner finderwell protecting it from any debris

joph09
11-08-2006, 01:55 AM
ya most people do have the filter in the fender well but i chose to cut it short and have the filter sitting on top of the resonator hole because;
-filter easy to access
-filter stays cleaner
-safe from hydrolock here we get alot of puddles and water prairie weather of extremes
-still get cold air benefit
-batter serves as heatshield
-alittle shorter distance for air to travel = alittle better throttle response

i think there's more reasons but i guess those are the main ones

ba_feitl
11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
If you want a better fit you can get oval K&N filters (universal fit) and some even have an angled inlet to help straighten the run beside the battery... that was my plan early on I just never did it.

Brad

thewilson
12-22-2006, 12:02 AM
So not to be offensive or anything but how do I get this hole spread out for a 2.75" CAI ? Just copied the picture since it was closest one but really what can I use to bend the metal? I do not currently posses I think would do the trick I may be wrong. a little help is greatly appreciated on this

Thank You!

jayupark
12-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I just used a crowbar... the metal is pretty soft (see the thread about "dent magnet")

thewilson
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Could I use like the tool to change out a tire to pry it wider? Does spreading this metal out cause any fitment issues XD Thank oh and any 1994-1997 Accord CAI will fit right?

im sleepy but athf is the bestest show evah ROFL DIRTFOOT is coming!

Yozick
12-22-2006, 02:35 AM
I used a 2x4 and a hammer and tapped it towards the fender till i got just enough wiggle room to fit the pipe through.

thewilson
12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Cool sounds like that will work best for me in my situation thanks

o2coolchris
12-22-2006, 11:12 AM
or you can cut some of the metal off with a dremel and then just paint the cut part so as to protect it from rusting... thats what i did.

thewilson
12-22-2006, 11:14 AM
If I owned a dremel it would rock been asking for one for christmas last couple years to no avail but the hammer and 2x4 method will have to work :D Got a 2.75" intake coming in hopefully wednesday but it might be thursday XD

mlumz
12-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Quick question about CAI. Thinking of getting this AEM 2003 Tiburon I4 intake

http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=379

Was wondering if this would fit and if the only thing I had to do is cut a piece out for the MAF and that is it? Thanks.

thewilson
12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I would say that an accord intake would be cheaper and work just as well it would be the same process just my opinion on that. You probably will get more and better responses if you were to start a fresh thread about the AEM intakes or Tibby CAIs or something

mlumz
12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
thanks, I'll start a new thread

gdubb
01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
for elantra's with mafs apc makes universal instake so you can build your own

Elantra06
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Will Accord CAI will fit the 06 base Elantra? I've searched ebay and found some, but don't know if it will fit.

Thanks

mtlelantra
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Will Accord CAI will fit the 06 base Elantra? I've searched ebay and found some, but don't know if it will fit.

Thanks
Yes, 94-97 I4 Accord 2 piece. You'll need to hacksaw a piece out to accomodate the MAF.

Elantra06
01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the advice, I know you told me which one, but if it's not too much trouble, can you find a link for the specific Accord cold air intake on ebay, because I want to make sure I get the right one. The reason I'm confused is because of the prices and because I'm a newbie :confused: . Why are they so low for a cold air intake? Sorry about that and thanks again.

mtlelantra
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Dunno... I bought mine a couple of years back... perhaps:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-96-97-Honda-Accord-4Cyl-Cold-Air-Intake-1994-1997_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ008QQite mZ180076309030QQrdZ1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bomz-94-95-96-97-Honda-Accord-4Cyl-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ008QQitem Z180076315044QQrdZ1
Search for "accord intake 94".
Why are they so cheap? I just a couple of aluminum pipes. Generic filters are cheap cheap cheap. You could buy and AEM or Injen or whatever and pay for the name brand, but in the end you're still getting a couple of pipes.

Elantra06
01-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the links. I'm going for the Bomz (2nd link). Just as long as I can mod it to fit the 06 Elantra (base), I'll definitely buy it. One more question, does it void my warranty? Thanks again.

joph09
01-25-2007, 11:11 PM
it won't void your warranty unless the dealership finds out that what you midified or changed to your vehicle is what caused the problem. Then your warranty is voided. But if you do have a problem then just swith in the oem intake set up and bring it in which might work. But don't much about it.

Elantra06
01-28-2007, 10:12 PM
What do you all think of the EvoFusion cold air intake? I'm still interested in the accord intakes, but don't want have to return it if it somehow can't fit my Elantra after the modification. I was giben two links, but the bids ended. I'll just pick one, and ask if it's the right one. (06 Elantra-automatic-base trim) I also saw the Injen brand in the EvoFusion website. How good are the filters on the Injen and Evo Fusion CAI? I'll check back in. Lets say I do buy an Accord intake, will I have to buy another aftermarket filter, like K&N? Will the Accord CAI have a place for me to screw on my O2 sensor? Has anybody tried moding a CAI in any 06 Elantra? I'm guessing the Injen and Evo brand, no moding is needed or that it will fit for sure. What about the sound? I heard the Accord have a nice sound to it, but they are many brands on Ebay. Any difference? What about the Injen and Evo? Sorry for all the questions, but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Silentwolf
01-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Forget evofusion man. My first email on the Injen intake took five days for them to respond to. My second sent a week ago now has recieved no responce. I think i'm goin with one of the Ebay accord intakes an soending the money saved on something else.

Elantra06
01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
An e-mail? Like an order?

salvorhardin
04-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello, I'm thinking of buying this CAI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97-Honda-Accord-L4-4-DX-LX-EX-Cold-Air-Intake-95-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ008QQitemZ 180103711594QQrdZ1) and pairing it with this K&N Filter (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=SN-2620). Any opinions on this combination? Should I go with the above cone filter or should I go with this cylinder (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-0960)filter?

salvorhardin
04-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I went ahead and purchased that CAI Kit, and like everyone else regret not doing it sooner. Only major modification I had to do was to leave in the OEM tubing from the intake to the MAF since I was getting a loud tone when engine was running with the new tubing. Right now I'm using the supplied filter (Want to replace ASAP). Now that I have it installed, I'm not sure if to buy the RU-1460 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-1460) or the RU-3190 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-3190). I want to go angled I'm not sure by how much. The first is angled 10 and the main filter is 5" long and the second is angled 20 and is 6" long. Which one will work better? will having more of the filtering media exposed be better? or should I go with the same filter that came with the CAI, but the K&N version (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RR-2802)? Thank You.

saturn
04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I got this CAI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140108040482) from ebay. it fits well, no major modification of anything needed.

I bought RE 0930 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RE-0930).

it's pretty loud when the throttle is fully open. it came with one coupler and one reducer, so I had to get another 2.5" coupler from autozone to make everything work (the reducer (I think?) is because the accord IM is smaller than the piping, while ours is the same size).

danofthejungle
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
dammit

I think I'm going to finally buy a CAI. Too bad shipping to Canada costs 3x as much as the pieces of pipe.
ah well...
It's still pretty damn cheap. I'm starting to feel that my 5-door GT is still too slow when passing on the highways - even when dropping to 3rd gear.
I hope it makes a difference :)

saturn
05-05-2007, 05:56 PM
it does make a difference in that "lag" area between 3-4.5rpm (where it starts to pick up on it's own)

you should be able to find some sort of performance parts place in canada that sells accord CAIs...

thewilson
05-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I've been running this cai for a while and am having trouble finding a replacement air filter. The pipe diameter was 2.75" i believe. Autozone and O'rileys filters start at 3" any help? Also since it's such a pain to change the filter out will I benefit at all by the filter up by the battery?

danofthejungle
05-05-2007, 06:37 PM
i've been trying to look around a bit
Performace stores up here seem to be overpriced, selling only brand-name stuff. Even a bypass filter was something like 100 bucks or something
Are there any people in GTA that are willing to sell their CAI for cheap?

saturn
05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I've been running this cai for a while and am having trouble finding a replacement air filter. The pipe diameter was 2.75" i believe. Autozone and O'rileys filters start at 3" any help? Also since it's such a pain to change the filter out will I benefit at all by the filter up by the battery?

K&N makes generic cone filters in lots of diameters.

Mikey
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Okay guys, after all this reading I feel pretty confident that I can do this without too much effort. As my first post and not able to find anything specific about it I will throw out these questions:

With an '03 GT 2.0 auto, I don't quite follow the MAP/MAF lingo. How do I know if my engine is either/both/neither? Can somebody post a pic that illustrates or explain to the noob???

Are there any special considerations to take into account when buying the CAI for my car (other than replacing the cone filter that comes with to a KN? They all look pretty much the same, provided they are 2 piece. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

saturn
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
the MAF will be a separate sensor on the plastic tubing before your intake manifold. I thought I had one on my 2003 because there was a lump but that's just the design. all I did was connect that little hose back into the IM (luckily my accord CAI came with an outlet already made).

search the forums for pictures. look at the garage.

SOME 2003s have them, most do not.

you'll have to find a way to get the sensor in about the same spot as it was before (same distance from the intake manifold) otherwise your car will freak out.

you might have trouble with spacing by the battery on your auto, since it's a slightly different layout from the manual. BUT, basically you'll just have to make the hole next to the battery a little bigger: remove the battery and the plastic tray, make the hole in the fender area bigger as needed, use something (paint and rubber) to cover up what you bent (to protect the softer aluminum piping and stop rust on your car)

you may also have to cut the plastic battery tray a little.

it'll be a tight fit, but just experiment a little.

will I benefit at all by the filter up by the battery?

this would be a short air intake. it'll work better than the stock intake, but not as well as a cold air intake.

basically: you'll have higher air flow (and in turn, improved performance). BUT: hot air around your engine/battery/etc is not as good as cold air in your fender.

if you get a K&N filter, connect it correctly (tighten the clamp!) and keep it out of puddles, you'll never really have to do frequent maintenance on it.

*** MAKE SURE to reset your ECU (disconnect the battery for a minute or two) to allow the computer to re-learn the higher air flow - otherwise you'll get a big "CHECK ENGINE" light in your face. ***

Mikey
06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Many thanks...
So 2.5" is the way to go that will fit the stock TB? I see several on ebay that are listed as 3 or 2.75".

saturn
06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
depends how you're measuring it. mine SAYS it was 2.5" but the 2.5" coupler I bought I had to SQUEEZE onto the piping... so it's probably 2.75"

pretty much any of them (2.5" - 3.0") will "fit" so long as you can get a good seal with the coupler.

here are some pictures of my setup I posted in another thread:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/530677620_f41e5760b4_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1094/530677622_137e4d4a92_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/530677628_6c90f88df2_o.jpg

Mikey
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
The pics help, thanks. If I had to purchase additional couplers, are these readily available at any local auto parts shack? Hose clamps I can see, but the actual rubber? :bowdown:

BigD
06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Ok quick question... Ive searched through this entire thread and have failed to find any info for a 98 Elantra SE (GLS in the states... yes I'm in Canada... and yes that information is irrelevant). Anyhow, I just got my CAI in today and I got stuck trying to figure out what to do with a specific tube just in front of the throttle body. There is the breather tube that can be connected, but then directly across from it there is another tube that feeds over the a module connected to my intake manifold... does anyone know if this can be left out, or what the hell it is?

Cheers

Mikey
06-06-2007, 12:45 AM
I went with this one. Paid a bit more because of the black color, but what the hey. This should not be a problem to spray some clear coat on to keep it purdy (or will it?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160124431480&rd=1

Found a 3" K&N filter for about $30 on Amazon.com with free s/h.

:abovelol:

saturn
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
sorry for late reply... wasn't at home last night.

couplers: autozone and similar places MAY have them, I didn't have good luck. places like JEGS (higher-quality parts stores) wanted $50 for one coupler (sheesh!!)

I ended up going the ebay route.

hose clamps you can get at any hardware store for like 50 cents. your kit should come with enough clamps (4), but like I said, mine came with a 2.5" coupler and (useless) 2.5" to 2" reducer.

and also, don't use the filter that comes with it. it's probably junk. go with a K&N cone filter (autozone, advance auto parts, etc).

PSUsouthpaw
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Autozone is usually fairly good about carrying couplers, same with pep boys. Advance is a toss up they may or may not have them.

BigD
06-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I found out what that hose is... apparently its the idle air hose.. that is important... Could I just leave it hanging to get ambient air or am I going to need to cut out a hole to put it in. Or should I just leave that entire piece stock and connect the CAI from after the MAF.

mtlelantra
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Ok quick question... Ive searched through this entire thread and have failed to find any info for a 98 Elantra SE (GLS in the states... yes I'm in Canada... and yes that information is irrelevant). Anyhow, I just got my CAI in today and I got stuck trying to figure out what to do with a specific tube just in front of the throttle body. There is the breather tube that can be connected, but then directly across from it there is another tube that feeds over the a module connected to my intake manifold... does anyone know if this can be left out, or what the hell it is?

98's I believe have both a MAF and a separate IAT sensor. Take a picture and I can probably help guide you on how to assemble it.

BigD
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I ended up putting it in last night.. I can get some pictures soon. It was a half-assed job on my part though, I kind of mixed a CAI with a SRI... meaning I just took the link off the end of my MAF so I didnt have to cut all these holes into the pipe. It feels a bit different, and is a bit louder... but I'm most likely not getting the full effect.

BigD
06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh I also left my temp. sensor hanging in my engine bay... I was told it was ok to do so by a parts shop, but any input here would be good.

Mikey
06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
One last question and I think I'll be done with this thread;)

The CAI is 3", and I see where the coupler to the TB appears to be reducer. Do I need to get a different coupler for the Hyundai TB, like a 3" straight? Thanks :confused:

TheHybrid
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
One last question and I think I'll be done with this thread;)

The CAI is 3", and I see where the coupler to the TB appears to be reducer. Do I need to get a different coupler for the Hyundai TB, like a 3" straight? Thanks :confused:
If the CAI is 3", then you do need the reducer. I believe the TB is 2.5" (don't quote me on this) so a coupler needs to go from 3" to 2.5" to fit snug. Mine does, at least.

mtlelantra
06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh I also left my temp. sensor hanging in my engine bay... I was told it was ok to do so by a parts shop, but any input here would be good.
I'd put it in somehow. It's not doing you any good if you're actually pulling in cold air, but the computer is reading hot underhood temperatures and not sending out the fuel to compensate. You'd probably be getting better performance from the stock intake.

saturn
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
there was a DIY here somewhere about making the sensor work in a ebay CAI.... you have to drill a hole and basically make some sort of rubber piece hold it in there... ORRRRR

you can cut a section from the ebay CAI and retrofit the existing section of your old plastic intake that held the sensor... this is what most people do.

BigD
06-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I may try to cut it in tonight and find a rubber housing for it. It was actually attached to the airbox so there was nothing I could harvest from my stock CAI.. but I see what you're saying about it reading hot air and not changing the fuel ratios.

BigD
06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I put it all in now... but she seems like shes lagging now in the lower RPM ranges... picks up higher, but seems dull until 2K and in 4th gear entirely.

KeWLKaT
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Did you reset your ECU man?

And who drives under 2k anyways, lol.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

saturn
06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
yeah be SURE to disconnect the battery in order to reset everything.

TheHybrid
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I wanna pick up an AEM dryflow filter... cuz I don't wanna have to oil mine (lazy).

I looked around but I couldn't find exactly which filter I would need. Here's the list of AEM dryflows (I have a 3" accord CAI)

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Thanks!

mtlelantra
06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
5" cone will suffice for airflow for our engines. Measure the outside diameter of the tubing (OD). If the OD is 3" then you need the 3" dryflow 21-203DK.
Go by whatever the OD of your intake is.
FWIW, I had an el-cheapo BOMZ-type filter (with the little cone on the cap) and switched to the AEM. I'm willing to bet the AEM filters way better than the cheapo one I had, however the flow is a bit less and my mileage has gone down just a little...

Mikey
06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I have not installed mine as of yet, but it sure looks pretty in the box...

While the illustrated guide looks easy enough, anybody have a start to finish time for the install? I have to be able to complete in a day once I start. I'm thinking just a couple of hours. Are there any steps in the installation that might present an obstacle, aside from the fender hole expansion? I don't have to worry about an MAF to tie in.

BColeman
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Check out the DIY above in the blue bar, I think there is a DIY there.

The removal of the stock items is the most time consuming. After that, everything is breeze. Just don't tighten all the clamps too much until you've got everything positioned right. Good luck, and have fun. You'll like the results, even better than it sitting pretty in a box.

saturn
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
well once you've done it you think "oh I can do it in 5 minutes"

but it took me a good 3 hours from start to finish. tip: don't start after 7pm ;)

another tip: remove the drivers side headlight to access those pain in the a$$ bolts that hold the resonator and associated tubing. also plan on (temporarily) removing almost the entire fender well in order to get the filter attached.

BColeman
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
^ leave the headlight out, and attach the filter through the hole left by the headlight. No need to remove all of the fender well plastic, just undo a couple of the plastic screw thingys, and pull the resonator out from the bottom. Insert the filter through the headlight hole and tighten it on the pipe, then make the necessary adjustments for the rest of the system.

Mikey
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
See-all of this good to know info is not part of the DIY section. Pull the headlight assembly to install the filter, got it. Thanks.:bowdown:

BColeman
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
^ Yeah, at the time, we were making things difficult for ourselves when we were figuring things out. No one has done a new DIY for this because most of us probably feel it's routine.

I agree, that part should probably be in the DIY, it would make things a little easier. But since it is now in this thread, at least there is another location for that answer.

tomtom
06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the after install... i want to see how it is put in?

Mikey
06-19-2007, 08:02 PM
The DIY section above has the pic by pic installation (except for the headlight removal). It looked so easy I felt inspired to do it.

tomtom
06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
awsome thanks!

saturn
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
post-install pics from my car:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/530677620_f41e5760b4_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1094/530677622_137e4d4a92_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/530677628_6c90f88df2_o.jpg

Mikey
06-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Is that section of tubing next to the battery wrapping around it? It looks as though it doesn't go into the hole that is there.

saturn
06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
that's not the hole. that's an optical illusion - you're actually seeing part of the battery cable.

the tube DOES go into the hole. you will probably have to make the hole slightly bigger using pliers or something - it's just sheet metal to hold the battery. you'll also probably have to cut the battery tray a little.

make sure to do something if you leave bare metal (such as painting it and/or covering it with some sort of rubber to protect the intake tube).

Mikey
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Okay-here's where I'm at now. The headlight removal was invaluable in the process of the install. I'm not exactly sure where to place the supplied bracket as the couplers don't appear to be near a suitable place. Any ideas???

I'm ready to slap it back together. Wish me well and not too many extra parts:eek:

Trying to get my pics uploaded, but my web page is not cooperating.

saturn
06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
the brackets are for the accord. you'll have to figure out something else if you want to secure it. most people use the bolts that hold things like the fuse box to the car.... take a trip to autozone or the hardware store and get some of that stuff that looks like the edges of line printer paper (you know, [ - - - - ]) and use that maybe? its really up to you as there's no "official" way.

Mikey
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
A couple of observations so far:
The sound is not as noticeable as I thought it would be. My car has a catback installed before I bought it, so maybe it's not as noticeable. It is more responsive, and when I filled up today my MPG comp ran up to 37 before settling in at 34. I've been ave about 27. Hopefully it will stay up over 30 until next fill. I'd be happy with that.
As for the bracket-I found that once everything was in it seems the battery is really holding it secure. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm inclined to leave it.
It looks good, and was as easy as expected. No hiccups along the way. I promise to post my pics once my web page starts cooperating. Thanks to all for the advice. WHAT NEXT!?!

saturn
06-22-2007, 12:49 PM
TURBO.

I don't know, strut bar, rear sway bar, rear strut bar, wheels/tires ... I'd upgrade the suspension before adding any more power upgrades.

keep an eye on things, mine has a tendency to disconnect behind the battery. probably because the coupler I got was after I got the CAI (and it's slightly too small...) -- but keep an eye on it! don't want to suck any birds into your intake manifold.

TheHybrid
06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Does anyone else get a raspy whisp sound? I installed my AEM dryflow today but still got it, so the filter (that's what I thought it was) wasn't the cause of the noise.

Maybe it's because I frankedchopped the lower tube? (I did sand it well and get particles off tho)

wade0004
06-22-2007, 10:59 PM
06 GLS = what kind of accord CAI ?