Missfiring PLEASE HELP [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Missfiring PLEASE HELP

brihvac
11-09-2004, 06:43 AM
I have a 2000 Elantra Im selling (I just bought an 04) I washed the engine on the 2000 and let it dry for a day. I went for a ride and its missfiring real bad. I figured it still wasnt dry, NOW.. I drove it about 20 miles and it finally cleared up to where it was running perfect. shuts off starts fine and everything. But I got in it the next day and it was missing again. When the car sits and the engine gets cold it will miss REAL BAD. After you drive it for awhile it clears up and runs fine. Next day the same thing. What did I do. Plugs? Wires? The plugs are a month old and the wires about 4 months. The plugs and wires are from Auto Zone and are Bosch.

Keyan
11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
There is water in one or two of the tubes that the spark plugs go into. Water seeped in.

Take a paper towel, wrap it long ways ( to the length of a pencil) and dab it down the tube (WITH THE SPARK PLUG STILL IN IT) Do this when the engine is warmed up, but off.

Find which tube has the water in it and start dabbing until you get it all / it burns off.

FordFasteRR
11-09-2004, 09:51 AM
you should check the plug wires individually.. be sure there are no cracks or electrical burns ... my j2 99 elantra had a problem that it would eat up the plug wire stocket easily... always happened on the #4 cylinder .. (the shortest wire) for some reason..

Also, be sure to clean the coil pack sockets... use a metal brush or something and clean out any corrosion it may have built up.

good luck and let us know if you fix it :)

brihvac
11-09-2004, 10:09 AM
All the connections look good. But im just going to make sure theres no water in the sockets. Then clean the connections on the coil. And if it still does it Ill put plugs and wires on it. The wires still look brand new and they are only 4 months old or so. What I cant understand is that after you drive the car awhile it goes away and is fine. I figured it would be dry and any water thats in there is gone. But as soon as the car cools down it starts to do it again. I cleaned the engine so it looks like new to a prospective buyer. The car only has 43,000 miles on it. I tried pulling one wire at a time off the coil while the engine was running to see what one it was. But every wire I pulled off stalled the car. I was looking for the one that made no change when pulled off. That would have been my bad one. But they all were the same. The engine does code "engine missfire" but thats it. It wouldnt be a fuel injector would it? Could getting wet have messed one up? I wont know where to go with this if I put new plugs and wires in it and it still does it.

FordFasteRR
11-09-2004, 11:09 AM
well, one thing is for sure...

wetting the engine is a stupid idea.. there are too many sensors and other things that could easily be damaged by doing that...

some people do it for years with no problems, other people break sensors and other things happen ... so its 50/50. .. i'm not willing to risk doing it... considering that if you keep the engine clean on a regular basis, there is no need to hose it down EVER.

:)

good luck with that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brihvac
11-09-2004, 10:48 PM
well, one thing is for sure...

wetting the engine is a stupid idea.. there are too many sensors and other things that could easily be damaged by doing that...

some people do it for years with no problems, other people break sensors and other things happen ... so its 50/50. .. i'm not willing to risk doing it... considering that if you keep the engine clean on a regular basis, there is no need to hose it down EVER.

:)

good luck with that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid? Gee, thanks! Just kidding. It was the plugs. I put a new set in and the problem is gone

FordFasteRR
11-10-2004, 09:29 AM
stupid idea... lol :)

I'm glad you got it Fixored ! :)