Sealed transmission. Is this a problem? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Sealed transmission. Is this a problem?

regor
02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
While checking out the 2011 Elantra, it came to my attention that the fluid levels for the transmission are sealed. No dip stick to check the level or hole on top to add, if you need it. Should that worry me?

What if you have a minor leak and canít get it fixed right away. Thru an open system, I could easily check and add the fluid, but with this system I canít.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

only1db
02-11-2011, 06:11 AM
you can check the fluid...its a hole in the bottom of the tranny...and NO i would not worry about it, thats what you have a 100k warranty for. the genesis sedan has been running this for over 3 years now.

edit...actually the veracruz was the first to have a sealed tranny. that was back in 07

ricerrx7
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
BMW has had sealed transmissions for over 10 years now. It's not a problem in the least. And, when they went to sealed transmissions, the failure rate went down.

only1db
02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
probably because they were filled with the correct fluid...i would imagine that bmw has their OWN fluid and people would use compatible stuff and booyah

ricerrx7
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Actually, a lot of our older transmissions were made by GM and used dexron. Most of the new cars have ZF transmissions and use the zf fluid that anyone else would use. But yeah, people not being able to mess with the fluid easily led to less failures.