more tire questions... [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: more tire questions...

mikeythe613
03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Alright, so I was shaking bad after 120 as I mentioned in my posts before. Brang my car to my mechanic and he showed my back driver side tire was worn pretty bad, so I got a new tire balanced them and the shaking went down a bit but recently i noticed it was coming back and now my other back tire is pretty worn compared to the other three.

Is there a lot to align in the back tires, people have told me that the back tires usually dont need to get aligned? Do you think its a bent axle?

sorry for all my questions, this is just really getting on my nerves i do a lot of driving and going over 100 would be ncie.

blmqzjc
03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Bad alignment could explain the tire wear, but probably not the shaking. Shaking most likely is out of balance tire, bent wheel, or a suspension issue. Our cars do require a 4 wheel alignment. I've noticed my right side tires (both front and rear) wore out before the left side tires. I now have non directional tires so I can cross rotate, hopefully evening out the wear somewhat.

Usually, if you feel the shaking in the steering wheel, problem is in the front. If you feel it in your butt, the problem is in the rear (no pun intended).

mikeythe613
04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Right now I have ****ty westlake directional tires, but i think when the garage installed them they put the front in the back and the back in the front, would the worn tire itself give me vibrations?

blmqzjc
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Right now I have ****ty westlake directional tires, but i think when the garage installed them they put the front in the back and the back in the front, would the worn tire itself give me vibrations?

Directional tires have nothing to do with front or rear - it simply means the tires can only stay on one side of the car (either right or left). Do not cross rotate directional tires.

The worn tire "could" give you vibrations if it's a structural problem with the tire, or a steel belt coming apart, etc. Simply being worn on the inside or outside has never caused vibration in my experience, just premature purchase of more tires :)

mikeythe613
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
really eh well i got these tires from the dealership so i dont have to much information on them, i guess in the summmer i will man up and buy 4 new tires get them all balanced and my alignment done and see if that does anything for me if not... then im bringing her in to the mechanic to figure it out.

mikeythe613
04-06-2011, 06:42 AM
and just noticed today when i was going really fast back from work, when my hands are on the steering wheel i feel it and when i let go i feel it in my seat.... i failed to mention 3 of the 4 tires are balanced.

songee623
04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
As said slow down some, but the tibby 19.2 swaybar might help some its great handling mod over the oem swaybar.

mikeythe613
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
well going 120/30 on the hiway isnt that fast, the shaking doesnt match the speed even at 100 i can feel it a bit

01RedRocket
04-06-2011, 05:56 PM
km or mi? I assume km as you are a Canuck!

mikeythe613
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
km, lol