[MD/UD] A/C turns on when it should be off [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: [MD/UD] A/C turns on when it should be off

Carter
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Last night this issue started and it's driving me nuts. I go to turn the car on and the A/C turns on. I can turn it off then as soon as I hit defrost it turns back on.

Here is a video of the issue, sorry for the shakiness!!! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121843/IMG_1289.MOV

Anyone have this issue? I have an oil change I need to book and can have them look at it but still would like to see if someone has an idea?

Thanks!

NovaResource
02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Manual or automatic climate control?
I can't view the video here but it sounds normal. The A/C is designed to go on with the defrost.

fenixignition
02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
only thing i can say for sure, is that on an xd2, the a/c runs on defrost whether its lit up or not.

Carter
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Manual climate control but I've never noticed it being on before. Why would A/C be on when I want heat.

lycan28
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
only thing i can say for sure, is that on an xd2, the a/c runs on defrost whether its lit up or not.

Yep he is correct. A/C compressor does run whenever you select a defrost function. To defrost the windows you have to have the A/C running (whether set to hot or cold air) to effectively remove the moisture from the air that is clouding up the windows. Without out it running you will be blowing damp hot or cold air which will cloud the windows even more. So it is set from the factory to automatically come on whenever the defrost function is selected.

It is also like that on a majority of vehicles.

NovaResource
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
A/C dehumidifies the air to clear fog off the inside of the windshield. Turning the temp dial all the way to hot gives you warm, dry air. Turning the windshield defrost on also sets the air intake to fresh (if it was set to recirculate). You don't want to run the windshield defrost on recirculate because humidity can build up and fog the windows.

hyunelan2
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
As was mentioned above, it is like this on virtually all cars (except those without AC). The difference is, most do not illuminate the AC light when you turn on defrost, even though it turns on the AC compressor. For whatever reason, Hyundai's design turns the light on as well.

Aintnonerd
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
You don't want to run the windshield defrost on recirculate because humidity can build up and fog the windows.

Except when parked and a lady is present.

Carter
02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
OK this makes sense. Guess I never picked up on it before and when I did notice it I thought something was wrong lol :cool:

Thanks!!!

exsailor
02-14-2012, 08:10 PM
She wouldn't be a "lady" in a parked car with windows steamed up :(

songee623
02-14-2012, 11:55 PM
she might not be a lady but i'm sure she would be fun!

She wouldn't be a "lady" in a parked car with windows steamed up :(

Carter
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Back to this again ..... so as far as I can see this is not suposed to be on. I have a co-worker with the exact same car and you can see in the video link below that his does not come on.

MY CAR - Video of A/C coming on (How it should not be)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121843/IMG_1289.MOV

CO-WORKER'S CAR - Video of A/C not coming on (How it should be)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121843/IMG_1293.MOV

Not sure what's going on but for some reason it's stuck to have A/C come on when the car starts. I have an oil change coming up that I need to book so I will mention it then.

Carter
02-23-2012, 09:19 AM
A/C button now fixed :cool:

Dropped the car off for an oil changed and mentioned the issue. Within the hour after dropping the car off I got a call that the oil has been changed and that the A/C had a faulty connection. They replaced the part from another car on their lot so I can get going and now the button does not come on when I select defrost.

Such a small thing lol ..... at least it wasn't just me being paranoid lol

Aintnonerd
02-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Cool glad you got it fixed.