Expensive trip out for lunch [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Expensive trip out for lunch

2GTS
12-23-2004, 05:59 PM
I left the office to go home for lunch and noticed a little shimmy in the steering wheel. After diving a about 1/4 mile I start hearing bad noises from the front on the passenger side. I pulled into a parking lot and surpise FLAT TIRE!! Luckily I was in a mall parking lot that had a Firestone, so driving real slow and carefully I make it over to the Firestone parking lot. After talking to the tool behind the desk I find out they don't have any 17" tires that will fit(yes I still had summer rubber on in December in Chicago). They looked at the flat and it was sidewall damage probably from a fender bender a couple months ago that finally caught up with me, not repairable.

Needing to drive tomorrow I had them put the spare on and went home to start the search for new tires. I called up Discount Tire and was reccommended some Continental ExtremeContacts in 215/40/17 Tire Rack write up (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact) . I had been considering some high po all season tires for a while and just needed a reason to spend the money. So $626 (including the road hazard protection)dollars and a hour later my baby has some new shoes. I only drove about 4-5 miles on them so far but the ride is 100 times better than the cheap 205/40/17 tires that came with my wheel package. I'll be putting some miles on them tomorrow and will give an update after some high speed highway driving.

BlackElantraGT
12-23-2004, 06:15 PM
How come you didn't get it in 205/45/17 or 215/45/17? Did they not have any 45 series tire for that particular tire make/model?

Sorry to hear that you had to spend so much, especially during the holiday season. I know that's gotta be tough. But at least your rim didn't bend. =)

2GTS
12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
There were no 45 series tires available at the places I called and I needed them replaced today.

pancit
12-23-2004, 07:18 PM
what tires came with your wheel package?

good to hear you got them replaced:)

2GTS
12-23-2004, 08:26 PM
They were cheapo generic poo tires, Nankang I think. I think the conti's might have a little softer sidewall but I'm not to worried about it if the ride quality stays like what I experienced in my short trip today.