I hate putting new headlights in. [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: I hate putting new headlights in.

Leviathant
05-14-2004, 09:31 PM
That nasty metal spring thing drives me nuts, especially behind the battery.

Just to make things more interesting, it fell off today when I was adjusting my driver's side headlight, which had fallen out of place. I love almost everything about my 01 Elantra except changing the headlights.

I was considering mounting some kind of spring on to the cap that screws on the back of the headlight assembly, rather than the finger-pinching metal hook thingie, since even if I did get that back on, I'd still be massively annoyed with trying to get the darn thing to fit right.

Has anyone done any kind of modification to make installing headlights any easier? Or have any suggestions regarding fixing that spring-lock thingie? Thanks :)

--Matt

SuperGLS
05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I think most people, including myself, would just suggest taking the headlight out and then changing the bulbs. Good idea about modifying it though.

Welcome to the site.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Josh K
05-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah, just take out the headlight. With only 3 bolts to remove and a connector to unplug, it's super easy

felixr
05-15-2004, 12:04 AM
ditto . .. take out the whole headlight assembly and do it that way . . . easiest way . . . besides you could be changing the foglights in which case you need to remove the bumber . . or have fairys do it for you .. not fags . . but small flying people lol

BlackElantraGT
05-15-2004, 12:50 AM
I've had to change my bulbs so many times that I've become a pro at it lol. But I agree, that metal spring crap can be annoying at times, especially when trying to change your bulbs at night. It's nothing compared to changing the fog light bulbs though, especially the KDM fogs.

If you take out your whole headlight assembly, wouldn't you have to properly aim it everytime you put it back on?

Josh K
05-15-2004, 01:44 AM
No, the aiming is done within the assembly itself

2BIT
05-15-2004, 02:35 AM
You won't cuss as much if you take the whole thing out.... :D

playboyz28
05-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Just need small hands..:)

Leviathant
05-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Now that I think about that, taking the whole assembly out makes sense. I'm still going to attempt some kind of screwcap mod, since I broke that stupid spring, but maybe once I take the whole assy. out, I can figure something even better out. Maybe.

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Now I have to go find some metal bonding putty for the Accord carb I screwed up in rebuild last week. My wife drives an 89 Accord we got for $500, and it drives like a $500 car. We went looking for a replacement last week, and to my surprise she was eyeing up a nice 2001 Tiburon at the Hyundai dealership :eek: Unfortunately for me, that sold before I was able to return and see how much they were asking :(

felixr
05-15-2004, 02:17 PM
bumper* lol

Leviathant
05-15-2004, 10:41 PM
That was a breeze. I took advantage of the nice weather to open up my passenger door panel and apply some double-sided tape to eliminate the buzzing, and installed a ticket-holder next to my hazard switch, like I'd been meaning to do forever.

Looks like the spring's not broken after all, and when it's nice out again and I have access to some tools, I can put it back in, instead of staying with the tied-in-by-wires rig I have there now :)

Elantra2.001
05-15-2004, 11:11 PM
This is off topic, but you know you can just unplug the chime speaker for the door under the dash instead of tape right? Just put the key in and crawl up under the dash and unplug the connector that goes into the box making noise. Anyway, with regards to headlight bulbs, ill most likely never have to replace mine, although i did get good at it.

Leviathant
05-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Sorry, I'm a little spastic, by buzzing, I mean on bassy tracks, my passenger-side door buzzes a bit. See also this link (http://www.elantragtclub.com/index/id202.html).

Elantra2.001
05-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Ah, well then... that makes more sense.

63vetteman
05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
you know, the dealership supplies free lightbulbs and installation if you still have your warranty, cool huh?

carbonman
05-27-2004, 01:52 PM
or have fairys do it for you .. not fags . . but small flying people lol

I just have to say that this is one of the funniest things I've read on this site lately. Thanks Felix

felixr
05-27-2004, 02:40 PM
haha anytime . . . that was pretty funny huh . . i can just picture small flying people . . . its what you need though seriously . . . otherwise remove the bumper. . . i read somewhere that removing the headlight assembly helps? havent had my fogs working for about a year now i think . . thats how much i hate doing the job. . . plus i know no fairies . . . fag or non

jameswing
07-06-2004, 07:21 PM
and installed a ticket-holder next to my hazard switch, like I'd been meaning to do forever.

Could you show a pic of the ticket holder installed? I saw these eariler, but don't know where it gets installed.