Hello from Canada [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Hello from Canada

Elantra_Dart
01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey all.. I'm a newbie saying hello from Nova Scotia Canada. I have a 2002 Elantra VE... Not sure what the equivalent would be in the US.. I'm not sure if it is an XD or XD2.. I think it's an XD2 being that that's what is stamped on the throttlebody/intake. It's a 5-speed which I like... It's a "family" car so unfortunatly, the mods I can do will have to be limited.. :( But, I would like to start off with the air intake... I had a 2000 ZX2 before and I took off the upper and lower air intake resinators.. What a difference... And a little louder too. Hopefully it will be the same with the Elantra..

Well, I am work so till next time...

JacksonJ
01-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Welcome fellow CDN. An 02 is an XD, and an Elantra VE is equivilent to an Elantra GLS except for we don't get TCS and MoonRoofs. What colour did you get? If you look at the DIY section you can find a few free mods, one for the air resonator that will make it louder until you get an intake.

Elantra_Dart
01-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey...

It's Tan/Beige in color. I've only had it for about a month and a half. So far so good, and it didn't have the traction control or the moonroof..... I was hoping for a bit better gas milage but hey, it's winter.... :(

I was lookin' in the DIY section and this spring/summer I'm gonna mess with the intake stuff. Also, I want to put fogs on so I'm gona run wire through the firewall using another DIY I saw.

sed
01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
hi from FL,USA.... ITs warm here... its cold there.

sucks.

shawn :)

playboyz28
01-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Heya man, hi from Canada as well. I have a black 2001 Elantra VE. Would be cool to share some mod ideas with you.

SuperGLS
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the site. There are plenty of people from Eastern Canada (as defined by me as from Toronto to the Atlantic ocean, ha) here so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

playboyz28
01-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I dont think anyone is from Saskatchewan...cept for AvanteXD-CDN, he's in Winnipeg

Elantra_Dart
01-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Sharing mods would be cool...

As for the intake, I was thinking of trying a mod I found at another site... :redface:

http://elantragtclub.tripod.com/elantra/id409.html

What do you think.....

Chris.

BTW.....

Thanks all for the welcome.... :)

Chris

playboyz28
01-29-2005, 09:28 AM
thats almost the same thing I have on my car, I used an idea from XD.com, its a short ram intake from a 92-95 Civic, so it comes with everything, the chrome intake pipe and air filter. Just have to cut the intake tube to fit our cars. Works great! I'll have to hunt for my pictures..heh..:)

But that system that you found, its way cheaper, depends on what you are going for, looks and a slight increase in noise and power ....or no looks, but i mean, who really looks under the hood of your car...car fanatics?...grin

Elantra_Dart
01-29-2005, 07:52 PM
here i am at work again......... :(

where would be the best place to get that filter?

and i assume i'd have to reset the ECU?.. how is that again... disconnect the battery and press down on the brake......

as for a looks only thing, i wanna do something with the grill.. but anything i do to it will have to wait till warmer temps.....

Chris

playboyz28
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
You can go to Canadian tire for that filter, the cone style air filter, if I remember right, its about $30 CDN, give or take.

And yea, you could just disconnect the battery, for like 10 mins..and then hook it back up...no need to step on the brake.

Elantra_Dart
02-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Great.. Thanx..

Although, I can't seem to see the Mass Air Flow Sensor.... Unless I'm going blind.. or is it in the tubing between the air filter box and the intake/throttle body?

There are other things I'd like to do to the car but because it's a "family" car, the wife probably wouldn't approve..... :redface:

Oh well... The intake mod and installing fogs will be alright to start...

BTW.. question..
How many other Elantra's came stock with the 45x4 watt cd player with removable face plate? The unit is made by Clarion..

I can post a picture if needed.

Chris...

JacksonJ
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Mine did, it's a piece of crap, you'll find it to start to get Error 6 and 3's.

XTRAWLD
02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Welcome aboard. Make sure to visit the Canada section for helpful "local" tips or if you need some direct info. Roll call is there too, might help you find some people......

Elantra_Dart
02-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok.. Thanks..

BTW.
I use to live in Mississauga.. lived there for about 10 years.. first on Battleford Road then on Windwood Dr. near the corner of Windwood and Glen Erin.

Chris.

KeWLKaT
02-06-2005, 04:40 PM
i have the clarion unit.

works very fine until now, now errors, i dunno what you mean jacksonj!

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Elantra_Dart
02-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, until my "Clarion" unit starts having problems, I might as well leave it. I mean it's not that bad..... Upgrading the stereo isn't high on my list.. Although an mp3 unit wouldn't hurt...... :D

Chris.

JacksonJ
02-06-2005, 09:25 PM
My Clarion unit was fine for 3 years. The Error 3 and 6 have to do with reading the Table of Contents. My friend bought his 02 a few weeks after I did, and he started getting the errors a few months later.

I bought myself a new Headunit, it's alot better then the clarion unit and has MP3.

XTRAWLD
02-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I work around the Battleford area...I live by Square One.

JacksonJ
02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I work around the Battleford area...

Me too, don't forget about me.

Elantra_Dart
02-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Living in Mississauga was alright.... The last place I worked at up there was just off of Airport Rd.. Drummond/Lycor... Something like that... But that was back in '96.

Living in Dartmouth/Halifax is alright.. not as busy.. I took the wife up to T.O. for a week last summer and holy crap.. Mississauga (and TO) sure changed.. Didn't recognize the place.. She found it way too busy.. But I do admit.. It was good to be back up there again... Oh well..

Chris.

playboyz28
02-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Heya Chris, back again, was on holidays in Singapore and Japan..:)

Your car doesnt have a mass air flow sensor / meter. All controlled by the MAP sensor, a.k.a Manifold Absoulte Pressure Sensor..grin

I had the Clarion deck too..gave me problems after 2 years, then i switched to an Alpine Mp3 player, very nice.
I have a friend who has an Alpine Mp3 player for sale, out of his Elantra GT..nice unit..

Elantra_Dart
02-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey.. Welcome back.. did you have a good time...?

Thanks for the info.. it should make it a little easier for what I want to do...

First I want to remove the upper and lower air intake resinators.. Then I'll work on putting in a short air ram... I'm gonna try to useing PVC pipe to make it with (painted black with high heat paint of course)..... That's what I used in my Ford ZX2 when I remover the upper resinator and it worked great... I'll see what I can muster up..

Chris.

BTW...
How much for the mp3 player and will I have to change my speakers?

Baseballchick02
02-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Welcome. I lived in Vancouver, B.C. for 6 years. Didn't really go anywhere else in Canada.

XTRAWLD
02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Mississauga is a bustling city now...very busy, tonnes of business, it's the "smaller" Toronto - Population - the 6th largest city in Canada now. Brampton is overpopulated though....ick.

Elantra_Dart
02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey XTRAWLD

Yeah.. I shouild have expected it to be super busy.. I mean even when I left in '96, it was growing fast.. More so than other places around there...

I'll probably go up in time for another visit... I know when my baby girl is older, I want to take her and my wife on a cross Canada trip... Nothing beats driving across Canada...... :)

Chris.

XTRAWLD
02-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, we'll be planning that trip to drive to BC sometime...or maybe even the scenic via rail train..... Funny how it takes longer to drive to BC than it does to get to Florida and back.

playboyz28
02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Heya Chris, had a blast!..:) Lots of things to do and see in Japan, wish I had more time. I did however visit the Nissan plant in Oppama, Tokyo..all I can say is awesome!..:)

Did I ever post pictures of my intake ?

I think my friend wants $300 for the Mp3 player, it's about a year old and was a $600 unit. Its an Alpine unit. Shouldnt have to change the speakers, I didnt when I installed mine.

Elantra_Dart
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Jason

Well, i'll have to give some thought on that mp3 player... I have a baby girl and there isn't always a lot of spare cash floating around... But it is definitaly worth a thought....

Question.. ya know that plactic weld or cement stuff for putting pieces of plastic pipe together.. well will that hold up to the heat that the engine gives off under the hood..? If it does, it will help for what I haven in mind to go along with my intake mod.... If not, I have a back up plan..... :D

Oh, and a hello to Baseballchick02....

Chris.

playboyz28
02-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure if that stuff will hold up to heat, never tried it myself..

http://users.accesscomm.ca/jasonhyundai/elantra_engine.jpg

I know it doesnt look super pretty under the hood, but working on it..:) Only so much I can do!...already blew my budget with the wheels and interior mods last year..this year...save up more..grin..

slow 2K2GT
02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
OH NO!!! Playboyz you have an autotragic......

JacksonJ
02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
OH NO!!! Playboyz you have an autotragic......

I did not notice until you said that.

playboyz28
02-10-2005, 11:02 PM
yea yea yea..:) I had my reasons 4 years ago when I bought my car, which has proved very useful, no more "I cant drive your car because its a 5spd" thing when I go on road trips with friends..and eating icecream is a pleasure..:)

It goes good for what I need..besides, with cars like the SRT-4 out there..who can compete?

:)

Elantra_Dart
02-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Jason,

Engine looks alright... That "piping" looks like a 45 degree piece....... If so.. excellant... Mine won't look the prettiest but if it does the trick... who cares.

I also want to have some sort of "scope" coming down just under the bumper or where the fog light is suppose to be and some sort of tubing like shop vac tubing coming up to bring cooler air to the short ram intake.. Something like that.. Once spring/summer comes, i'll play around with it..

I'm trying to figure out how to make it all on a tight budget....

See what happens I guess.

Chris

pat
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey buddy I too am from Nova scotia I live in dartmouth we should hook up sometime and chill...My name is Pat and I drive an 04 Elantra GT Black

Speedstick
10-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Are you in Dartmouth?? So am I...