Turbo parts switch? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Turbo parts switch?

TNT4ME
02-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Ok,
I have followed many of the threads here. I have searched and read alot of good information. However, I have a unique chance to get a turbo setup. I am able to strip a 1994 S-coupe turbo (european edition). It all looks good as far as bolting up and everything (intake/exhaust etc). Here is the question, what all do I REALLY need to get from this engine to make the COMPLETE turbo setup work. Thanks for any constructive inputs. Here is a pic:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/62/64/44_12_sb.JPG

I am new to this concept, but as you have seen in the past, I like new challenges. I will be keeping all my original parts (just in case). Please don't flame or point to search items as I have not seen anyone try this particular stunt.

A basic list of items would be cool. I can take anything I want from the car, then it will go away.

Thanks.

Gomez
02-12-2005, 11:48 AM
What do you mean by "it all looks good as far as everything bolting up?" Did you already see if the intake and exhaust manifolds fit onto your Elantra? Do you not know and that's what you're asking in the thread? Does that car still run? How much horsepower did the S-Coupe have? It doesn't look as though any of the intake manifold will be useable, it's a totally different shape from ours. Nevertheless, I really hope this will work for you.

TNT4ME
02-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm asking for things I may forget,not the obviuos stuff. Yes, the exhaust and intake patterns match. They look different only because they are run different (intake side). Car still runs fine. Has 80,000 miles on it, but because it is euro spec, it can not be taken back to the states without big money. His loss, my gain before it gets junked.

Gomez
02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm trying to be optimistic here because this would be inexpensive and convienient, but it all seems too simple/easy to be true. I think there is going to be a few insurmountable obsticles. Still rooting for you though, but if it works, I'll go ghetto-turbo too.

what's the status?

FordFasteRR
02-14-2005, 02:36 PM
pull the exhaust manifold off and match it up to a stock beta gasket to make sure it matches.. if it does.. you are golden..

then just take the exhaust manifold and turbo and downpipe... ...

take the oil and water lines for the turbo... you'll end up chopping them up to adapt to the beta engine but you want the ends that are already threaded into the turbo because they already fit perfectly..

:)

you dont want the intake manifold from that old junker... just have a muffler shop bend you new turbo pipes... to adapt to your beta :)

good luck and take LOTS OF PICS !

tharptroy
02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
well, since you say the manifold is right (make sure the ports are the right size as well).

you'd probably want to have the turbo rebuilt, and upgraded (or replaced with a better one) if possible.

the reason is that you have about half a liter of displacement on the donor engine. the downpipe and oil lines might be good to snatch, along with any other things you see that you might need (im having a hard time remembering right now)

dont take the intake manifold, unless you're just looking to sell it, in which case I'd take the head as well (if not the whole engine).

take the pipe that goes to the IM too if you can...just for the hell of it, it may come in handy.