I might purchase a 2001 elantra... help! [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: I might purchase a 2001 elantra... help!

HDSalinas
02-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi

I currently own a 1999 corolla. A few weeks ago my wife and I got involveld in an accident. The car got hit really hard. Since then it has been repaired but we want to sell it.

I friend of us, took us for a drive around town in a 2001 elantra. I drove the car and was impressed. The seats were impressive as well as the rear leg room. It had power everything, auto trasmission and had 50K miles. It had ground effects with 16" wheels and the silver paint was in perfect condition.

Needless to say, my wife and I were very impressed. The car is up for sale and we are very interested in it. The only two things that I noticed were that both the check engine and the airbag light were on. My friend told me that the airbags were intact.

I might take another look at the car. but first I would like to know any possible problems with the 2001 models. Is the airbag light a common issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hector Salinas

hyunelan2
02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Typically the airbag light problem is related to a connector under the seat for the side-impact airbags. There's been quite a few people that had that happen.

As far as the check engine light, it could be any number of things. Best option is to have it scanned to know what the cause is.

HDSalinas
02-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Is this connector issue a do it yourself fix?

About the CEL, Yes I would have it scanned first

Kenshin
02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
If the car's got less than 60k miles on it, it's still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. don't sweat it. Man, I love this car!

Keyan
02-14-2005, 12:18 PM
You mentioned a ground effects kit and 16" inch rims.
I'm thinking this car is modified a little bit more than that.

Are the seats stock? If not the air bag light is on because there are no side airbags to hook up.
Is the engine stock? Cold air intake? Is there a heatshield on the headers? If not the headers are aftermarket and that's why the CEL is on.

I would love to see pictures of this car. If this car is modified, bringing it to the dealership will only drop a blackflag on you, and your ability to get it serviced there will be reduced.

HDSalinas
02-14-2005, 12:43 PM
As far as I now, the car is all stock. Just the ground efects and wheels.

I love the look of the wheels but the ride felt hard, I might replace them. What is the stock wheel size?

About the interior, is all stock even the seats. I noticed that it had a sony CD player but it looked out place since all of its lights were red. The interior is dark gray.

It also had a wing on the rear that was supposed to be stock. (i am not sure but it did look like it) The ground effects were painted "windowsxp" blue (you know, like the bar on the bottom of your screen) I did not like the way they looked, kind of dorky. If I get it i will have them painted body color) It also had tinted windows (black)

Everything else was stock

BTW

I am outside the U.S. Actually I live in Honduras, central America. the car was shipped from the U.S. (so is the same you guys have over there)

DO you think that the local dealer would honor the guarantee? I know a friend who bought a ford contour and the warranty was honored here.

Leviathant
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Honduras no doubt has an entirely different warranty, and probably not as extensive as the one in the US. I think the US has the best warranty on the Elantra, worldwide. Stock wheels are 15", I believe.

02ChiantiGT
02-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I would have the car looked at by a mechanic before you purchase it.I'm sure it's nothing serious. That was the first year for the new elantra and most cars have a few flaws in the first year. Wheels are 15". Just make sure you have the current owner transfer the warranty,unless it is done the warranty will not transfer to you because hyundai only transfers warranties if they are made aware by the previous owner.

HDSalinas
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Yes, if I decide on the car I will have it checked first. The seller is asking US$4800. (and may go down a few $100 more) Is this a good price?

About the wheels I just found out that they are not included, he is selling it with the stock ones. Everything else (spoiler and ground effects are included with the car).

After doing some research I did noticed that this was the cars first year of productioon? WIs there something specific that I should pay attention to when checking the car?

BTW, in all the pictures that I have seen the elantra have fog lights in the front bumper. Is this true.? I dont remember seeing them on the car. (it was dark outside) I drove the car at night and I gladly noticed that the headlights were very bright (both low and high beams)

What is the actual everyday city driving milieage (mpg) with A/C on these cars? I read that it is suppossed to be 25mpg, is this about right?

02ChiantiGT
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
That sounds like a pretty good deal.I'm not sure if there were any specific problems in 01. The GLS does not have fog lights,however the GT does,standard. Hyundai does sell fog ligths for the GLS though.

SuperGLS
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Some early production GLS's came with fog lights, but very few. None of the 2002 and up GLS's came with them, but they can be ordered still.

People get anywhere from 280-420 miles per tank. I usually average 360-380. That's about 24.5-26 MPG.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

HDSalinas
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Well I have arrange a formal "test drive" for this saturday.. I am also planning on getting the vehicle inspected as well.

Just a few more questions about the elantras,

1) I read that traction control was an option on these cars, how do I know if the car comes with it?

2) Do all Elantras come with ABS?

3) is it easy to attach aftermarket fog lamps to the front bumper, and if so, is there any do-it-yourself tutorial out there?

4) I am not sure if this car is a GLS or GT, but it did come with keyless entry with alarm. Was this only offered in the GT version.

5) What is the difference between GT and GLS?

6) Which one had four-wheel disc brakes? Was this offered in the 2001 model?

Thanks for all your help. I have never been a fan of Hyundai. But when I saw the elantra I told my wife that Iit was the only hyundai that I would buy. And now I find myself considering one. BTW my wife loved the car.

mrhoaf
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
ok..... here's the answer sheet....

1) there will be a TCS button on the dash

2) No, but if it has the TCS button described above, it has ABS

3) The GT already has lights, and OEM lights are available for the GLS... this (https://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/foglight.php) one is in the DIY section of this site and looks like a good one...

4) Keyless is/was available on both GLS and GT

5) for 2001, it's easy... GLS is a 4-door, GT is a 5-door. This (https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5271&highlight=gls+difference) thread will shed light on the details of the differences....

6) I know the GT had 4-wheel disks, and I believe all ABS equipped GLS's had them too....

ilanpro
02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
For Fogs you can get these

http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=72&ai_id=546

http://www.kspec.com/img/item/546_l.jpg

HDSalinas
02-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Well no sale.

After we agreed on a price and payment options, he informed me the next day that he would not sell me the car because his brother wanted it. Needless to say I was very frustrated.

Anyways, I need to replace my corolla, and after reading so much about the elantras we have decided to get one.
Hopefully we will find our Elantra soon. Thanks for all your help.

HDSalinas
02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Well I found another one.

Is a 2001 with 41K miles on the odo. Is burgundy with a tan interior ( w/ power everything, keyless entry and tinted windows). I test drove it today and I believe that it is in even better shape than the silver one. The car felt brand new tight and silent.

the only problem is that someone else saw it first but if this person does not buy it in the next few days, is all mine!

GTSTISL
02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
how much?

HDSalinas
02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
US $4766.95
(once you convert the price from Honduran Lempiras)

BTW, This is the second Elantra that I have seen that has the airbag light on (even if the airbags themselves are ok), Is this such a common problem. in a case of an accident will only the airbag with the sensor failure fail to deploy or all the 4 airbags?
how does it work?

GTSTISL
02-23-2005, 04:49 PM
the one on the instrument cluster or above the radio? the one above the radio is on unless someone over 58lbs. is sitting in the passenger seat.

BTW, that seems a little much for a GLS, or even a GT. it is a GLS right?

HDSalinas
02-23-2005, 05:03 PM
2001 GLS 41k miles.

It might be a lot in the US but actually is not much here. i might end up selling my 99 corolla for a few hundred bucks more than that.

Every one here owns or wants a corolla so they keep their value. Is the odfficial car of Honduras.

oops, about your question, the light that I am refering to is in the instrument panel. Right bellow the gauges. It says "AIR BAG" in bright red letters.

GSTISL,

I like your car, do you have a website with pictures? I would love to see more of it.

GTSTISL
02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
GSTISL,

I like your car, do you have a website with pictures? I would love to see more of it.
thank you so much!! unfortunately i dont, although i have a website with a few pics. www.freewebs.com/joshnsabbath
if you want to see more, feel free to email me at [email protected] and i'll send you some more. as for the air bag light, i have not had that problem.

mrhoaf
02-23-2005, 05:39 PM
the one on the instrument cluster or above the radio? the one above the radio is on unless someone over 58lbs. is sitting in the passenger seat.

only 04-05 have this light.....

Seems odd that both of these cars have the aibag light on....

almost makes me wonder if something was done modified or unhooked to conform with the law there in the importing process.......

you might ask the owner how long it's been on.....

GTSTISL
02-23-2005, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=mrhoaf]only 04-05 have this light.....

QUOTE]
oh ok, did not know that. and yea, its odd that both cars had this. have either cars been in an accident? maybe, and the airbag was not replaced. thats my only guess.