Dome light removal [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Dome light removal

2GTS
05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know if and how this thing can be removed without taking the whole headliner down? I have a rattle up there and the light has been acting up lately also. I figured if it comes out easy I'll try to fix the noise and what I think is just a bad connection before taking it to the dealer.

sed
05-19-2004, 11:50 AM
hey if you have a system then yes you have a rattle.. It will come down with a screwdriver, but that won't fix the rattle.. Hyundai was nice enough to not mount the wiring for the domelight onto the roof, instead just laying it on the headliner mounting... also the whole domelight assembly rattles like a *****, its just four clips holding it up there, so its not hard to get down. I used some double sided tape to secure everything together up there, the rattle is 98 percent better, but on some songs with hella bass you can still hear this very faint buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

oh well, when i pull the headliner.. oh wait i'm not supposed to talk about that :X

shawn :)

2GTS
05-19-2004, 12:06 PM
No system yet but I get the rattle from the resonance the exhaust gives out at 2900-3500 rmp. So just pull it down? Or should I pull the whole headliner and then remove the light?

southpawboston
05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
i've never done this with an XD, but this may be a solution. on my old golf GTI, there were so many friggin rattles from above the headliner (caused by dynamat-like sound deadener installed at the factory that had hardened and was breaking apart like peanut brittle). pulling the whole liner down was more of a project than i wanted to get into, so i pulled it down a few inches at the ends near the doors after removing the door trim, and injected expanding foam from a can using a nozzle. the expanding foam spread a good foot or two across toward the center of the headliner, and immobilized all those loose pieces of hardened tar. i just made sure the headliner was all back in place before the foam hardened. it solved like 99% of the rattles coming from up there. it may work for whatever is rattling up there, like the dome light wires.

sed
05-19-2004, 01:14 PM
southpaw that is a great idea for the dome wires, but the rattle that he is hearing the most is most likely the actual dome light...

I say just pop the dome off and double side tape it, you might want to reinforce the surrounding area where it mounts as well, but I definitely think I am going to use that idea southpaw, it will fix the last 1% of stupid *** rattling.

2GTS
05-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I think my car doesn't want me to take it apart because when I drove home for lunch there was no rattle. The dome light still ins't working consistently so I'm still going to pull the light a see what's going on up there. It sure would be funny if the next time I get in the car the dome light start working again.

sed
05-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey,

took some pics for you buddy

http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0481.JPG
http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/DSCF0482.JPG

see what i'm talkin about??? SUCKS that they wouldn't mount the wires

2GTS
05-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks I'll be taking that apart tonight to try to fix the light not working. The rattle still hasn't returned since I threatened to take the car apart though, I think my car is scared of me and is trying to avoid the tools.

hyunelan2
06-01-2004, 09:36 AM
So the lense just prys off with a screwdriver? Damn lady-bug thing crawled in my dome light and died, so now I need to take mine apart. No idea how it found its way in there?!?

sed
06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
yeah the lens just pops off.. On the foward section of the lens there is a small cutout where a number 1 standard screwdriver will fit. Just pop it off