Obd 2 [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Obd 2

daxwert
02-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi,
I have searched the board on OBD projects but couldn't really find anything.
I'm looking for some info on creating a serial connection to my laptop. I have some OBD software but I need to get it connected to the car.
Has anybody done this before ?
DAX

JacksonJ
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
I looked for months on information to make my own OBD II cable. I could not find anything that didn't require some sort of special circut board. The best I could find was www.scantool.net which has the circut board print out available for those who are into electronics. But still requires a certain chip called an Elmscan chip, it isn't a lot of money, but just was waiting a bit for more information.

FordFasteRR
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
I have the elm chip sold @ scantool.net

it works great :)

Brooklyn
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
It is possible the build the board yourself. Scantool.net has the schematic and pcb artwork to do it. The only thing I didnt like about their design was the oldschool serial DB25 pin connector. Most computers that still have serial ports use DB9. I changed the DB25 -> DB9 and layed the components out differently. It is a blatant ripoff of scantool's schematic, so I take no credit for anything but the changes. I etched this from the new design.

You can save a bit of cash if you do it yourself, but the upfront costs of a .028" drill bit, etching fluid, PCB, components, serial2usb cable, and the time to learn how to do it will probably keep away all but the dedicated tinkers. I had all the components lying around except for the ELM323 and ISO cable.

JacksonJ
05-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I am somewhat ok with electronics, but I have never attempted to create a circut board before. Maybe when my kids get a little bigger I'll take a chance to try it.

Brooklyn
05-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Its too bad that scantool doesnt sell prefabbed professional PCBs with all the components you require unsoldered in a kit. It would save them money on having them manufactured, which translates into a savings for the end user. Soldering is easy enough for most people. Fabricating a board from copper clad is tedious because of all the small steps neccessary.

getfuzzd
05-26-2005, 08:59 AM
you can also get the CarChip
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/drive_product.asp?pnum=8221
I found it at sears for $150
but I'll probably go with the scantool.net and an old laptop/carputer if I do anything

pat
04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Alriight I have an OBD 2 to usb cable now I need the software
Anyone know of the software that is used for a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT and where can I get this software!