How much Coolant will come out [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: How much Coolant will come out

oregun
05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Has anyone drained and filled their coolent lately? I just read the manual and it says 6 gallons?!?! No freaking way.

Does anyone know how much it takes?

Or, has anyone switched to Dex Cool Antifreeze?

2004ElantraGLS
05-02-2005, 07:54 PM
6 gallons isn't that much of a stretch. Not only will it drain from the radiator, but all of the hoses, the overflow tank, the waterjacket all through the motor, the heater core etc etc. All that adds up to 6 gallons, I'm sure.

I haven't replaced mine yet, but will do so very soon. Not sure what brand of antifreeze I'll use, but I'll probably go with a 80% Water, 20% Coolant, and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter.

Regards,
Axel

tharptroy
05-02-2005, 10:50 PM
are you **sure** you read gallons?

becuase I drained mine, and I know I didnt get 6 gallons out.

check webtech.

oregun
05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Webtech dosen't say squat (at least when I looked). I'm looking at the head, block and radiator and I don't "see" 6 gal. of volume there. That's why I asked.

Did you refill your radiator too?
How much coolant did you have to buy, maybe that's the most important question.

dragonfighter60
05-02-2005, 11:45 PM
you definately wont need more than 2 gallons total <-- unmixed you may not even use a whole gallon, but if you buy 2 you can keep one just in case a leak develops somewhere

tharptroy
05-03-2005, 12:27 AM
yeah, I used about a gallon and a half, ( I think)

blupupher
05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Owners manual ('04) says 6.4 qts, or 6 liters. Which is as said above, total fluid of about 1.5 gallons. You can get by with 1 gallon and mix 50% with distilled water, or buy 2 gallons of the pre-mixed stuff, and still have some left.

edit: stay away from Dex-Cool. Google it and you will read some bad stories about it. I can't stand the stuff either.
Just use the regular green stuff and change every year or two (manual says every 2 yrs or 30,000 miles).

cclngthr
05-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I used about 3/4 gallon unmixed coolant last week when I pulled the tranny pan and the lower radiator hose (to get access to the pan).

The specs say 60/40 mix of coolant to water.

tharptroy
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
OMG, i should think oregun would know better than to use dexcool....that stuff is the devil incarnate!

lol...I asked a guy at the autoparts store if they carried distilled water to mix with antifreeze...he looked at me like I was crazy....I love stupid people.

2004ElantraGLS
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
OMG, i should think oregun would know better than to use dexcool....that stuff is the devil incarnate!

lol...I asked a guy at the autoparts store if they carried distilled water to mix with antifreeze...he looked at me like I was crazy....I love stupid people.

At least he didn't say "Yeah, there's a waterhose around back." :D

oregun
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Autozone dosen't sell anything except DexCool/ Long Life antifreeze anymore. It's almost like everyone is switching to OAT antifreeze.

I have done a few searchs. Rumor has it that you can use it and it mixes in just fine. You just can't go for the extended drain interval until atleast 99% (so you do an entire flush) of the coolant is DexCool. Huh - I thought it was bad too, but it seems like orange is in.

Anyways, I saw a sign for "spring special" $20 to flush and fill the coolant. I figured, can't beat that, coolant is $10/gallon.

dragonfighter60
05-03-2005, 05:30 PM

I r a tupid peepl. But seriously, why do you need distilled water? not as corrosive as tap? :confused:

mrhoaf
05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
distilled water is pure (at least mostly) water..... while tap, spring, etc water has other stuff in it..... it's that other "stuff" that causes trouble, not the water....