best way to launch? [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: best way to launch?

Cypher
07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
like the title says i was wondering what is the best way to launch when you are racing?

ilanpro
07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7688

felixr
07-27-2005, 02:00 PM
. . . in a faster car

Cypher
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
thx but i've seen that before... anything more specfic for our cars though? like personal experiences

aLoNe I bReAk
07-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I was able to get the best launch from about 4500 rpm. I didn't dump the clutch, as that would result in just spinning tires. Instead, I let out the clutch to the point where the car grabbed and then floored it. This method will burn your clutch some, but I was able to get my best launches this way, with no tire spin and no lag.

GTSTISL
07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
do you have an auto or manual?? thats some critical information. also, do you have TCS?

FordFasteRR
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
with my car, a good launch is about 3500 rpms to almost 4000 with lots of wheel spin and lots of wheel hop..

i got my best time that way..

but this is on a track with that sticky stuff, so even spinning out of the hole it hooked up good..

the problem is preventing the engine from bogging... you will have a faster 1/4 mile time if you don't bog the motor down even if you spin out of the hole...

:)

if you bog, you lose.

Gun5
07-28-2005, 11:46 AM
whats best way to launch a autotragic

Steve
07-28-2005, 12:00 PM
The best way? Well, it's mean to the auto, but anyway, throw it in 1st, put your left foot on the brake and push it all the way down. Start feeding it gas until the brakes are just holding the car. When it's go time just let go of the brake and then upshift yourself everytime it hits redline. If you just want to go have fun, just throw it in drive and hit the gas when the last yellow lights up.

FordFasteRR
07-28-2005, 12:28 PM
from my experience with my j2 elantra , this is what you should do for maximum launch power ..

1. put it in drive like normal.
2. press the brake pedal down HARD.
3. press the gas down, watch the rpm needle..
4. when the car feels like its gonna creep forward, let the gas off 1 mm until its not creeping.
5. hold it there until you are ready to launch..

now here is the best part. just before you launch, shash the gas pedal all the way down while still holding the brake and then let the brake go.

that should give you a nice chirp and some wheel spin out of the hole ..

you should hook shortly after that and just go like a rocket with no fuel !

:)

dragonfighter60
07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
As said before though, its harsh on a transmission. (from what I understand) And please... never do a neutral drop.

Gun5
07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
As said before though, its harsh on a transmission. (from what I understand) And please... never do a neutral drop.

did that 3 times and will never do it again lmao

Steve
07-28-2005, 02:22 PM
3 neutral drops in the XD?!

OPZ
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
I've done them before also, around 3, and never, never, NEVER will do it again, even though i desperatly want a 5-speed. I think its how I did them that saved the tranny... rev it up, and wait for the rpm to go DOWN and then drop it around 3k. One would think thats safer then revving up to the red line and then dropping...

SWortham
07-28-2005, 02:56 PM
With a 5-speed, I would do a hard launch at 4K rpm's. It depends on your tires and on how strong your car is that day. But in my case it seemed to really pull well when launched like that without hesitating and without spinning the tires too much.

I don't and can't do that anymore though because my clutch won't grab as hard as it used to.

Steve
07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
For the sake of all that is mechanically sound and true, never ever perform a neutral drop. And that's not directed at you OPZ or Gun5 as you both said you already know better, but to anyone who has an auto and wants a better launch, neutral drops are not the answer.

sleepered
07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
neutral drop is from neutral to first right? liek reving and then just throwing it in gear?

Steve
07-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Indeed, it's the second worse thing you can do an automatic transmission. The worst being dropping it off a 100 foot cliff.

DAILLESTWUN
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
The best way to make sure the brake is pressed all the way is to pump it like 2 or 3 times. Then do as they said, hit the gas and let the brake go when time to run..

TheyCallMeManix
07-28-2005, 03:57 PM
My pappy always said, just so long as you launch em right and keep on truckin you can get the moonshine across just fine . . . just dont get caught!

YEEEEHAWW!!!

jakejacobson86
07-30-2005, 12:12 AM
lol disturbing

evan938
07-30-2005, 12:16 AM
yeah...thats how i blew the tranny in my first car...a 96 geo metro...i had a slight hill comin out of my old work, and i would put it in N and let it come down the hill, rev it up, and throw it in D....for a geo, that ****er smoked the tires

Cypher
07-31-2005, 01:24 PM
so its bad to burnout by dumping it at high rpms but its ok to launch in a stick at 4 grand or so?

sleepered
08-03-2005, 12:12 AM
sorry for the newbie questions but im not use to the terms you talk about dumping and stuff for a stick shift do you just rev it to a certain RPM in first with foot down on the clutch and then let go of the clutch?

also on my xd its kidna hard to explain but the first gear seems short like not full out launchs but when im in the mood to go fast off the green lights and i just slam the gas it feels like by the time i let my foot off the clutch i already have to shift to second but in my friends civic(i know you guys hate those cars) it feels like you are in 1st alot longer well if u can explain my questions that would be great thanks

OPZ
08-03-2005, 01:55 AM
It's cause thier slower! hahaha, sorry, i had to...

02xdGLS
08-03-2005, 04:23 AM
:abovelol:

dumping the clutch means just suddenly letting go of the clutch pedal instead of feathering it which means you feel for the traction as you slowly (obvioulsy not too slowly) let it go.
i think our first IS kind of short too, but i think it's also, in part, because you feather the clutch so it's engaging slowly while you are still gaining speed. so by the time you fully let go of the pedal, you are hitting the redline.
anyway, if you wanna launch hard, like most people already said, launch around 4k or 4.5k rpm range but feather it.

sleepered
08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
if you are at 4k or 5k adn you feather it wont you have to shift alomst immediatlly?

02xdGLS
08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
well.. i guess you could say it's almost immediate. for me, i sorta hold it at 4k until i feel the tires grab then i "dump" it. by that i mean after i feel the tires grabbing, i completely let go of clutch and floor the gas... sometime the tires spin just a little bit and sometimes doesn't. guess it depends on when i floor the gas in relation to when i "dump" the clutch.
either way i still think our first is short. i dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing though. :rolleyes:

Steve
08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
And it's important to remember that the surface prep at a drag track is much stickier than the street, so you can launch harder and at a higher rpm than you would if you were.... in a hurry to get to the next stoplight. I'm going to the track on the 12th and I'll be running Azenis RT-615 tires, I'm hoping I can find the right launch to make these tires really grab amd go.