Time for an overhaul [Archive] - Hyundai Elantra Forum

: Time for an overhaul

ilanpro
08-01-2005, 01:07 AM
A moderator rearrengement needs to be done, A lot of them bearly visit the site or are not as involved as they used to be.

Gun5
08-01-2005, 01:35 AM
A moderator rearrengement needs to be done, A lot of them bearly visit the site or are not as involved as they used to be.

amen i was talkin to mike the other day, while we where dealing with that acura retard who kept spamming

KeWLKaT
08-01-2005, 07:19 AM
I agree. Some people like GHOST are clogging up the forums with useless non-elantra oriented posts. It seems like they go by unnoticed.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

felixr
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
on the cigar site im a member of, the same thing happened. the mods just stopped comin by and then there are none left now

the admin doesnt moderate either if he ever shows himself when there is trouble cause one of the trouble makers is the admin of another site and if he leaves people will leave with him and then he will talk crap about that site on his and basically bring it down

sad really.

DAILLESTWUN
08-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey, if you need any mods I'll volunteer. I've been with EXD since about when it first started on the old forum...lemme know guys..

FordFasteRR
08-01-2005, 09:39 AM
:)

I want to be a mod ! :)

GTSTISL
08-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I could do it, im on every day. plus im in like the top 20 posters i think. ill lay down the law. :)

felixr
08-01-2005, 11:29 AM
yeah same here . . . ill volunteer but doubt i would get it lol

only1db
08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
i nominate ILAN!!!!

GHOST
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
yup taking up space is good. didn't your mom tell you that?

only1db
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
are people that bored that they would spam another site? grow up

evan938
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
ha. maybe i should volunteer myself. just give me a section i know the most about. and ilan too. and ford can be the FI forum mod

felixr
08-01-2005, 01:32 PM
thinking to myself . . . what would i be the mod of . . . hmm . . .

VTElantra
08-01-2005, 01:38 PM
I would make a good Mod, I am on a bunch so I keep good track of spamming and what not.

evan938
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
LOL everyone wants to be a mod. maybe we should figure out who needs to not be a mod (like the guy who has a whole 170 posts or so) and see who would qualify (go by posts, knowledge/expertise or something else) to be a mod, then have like a vote for the next poll and take the top 2-3 or however many are needed

i do agree though, it needs to be updated

BobMs_wht2k2
08-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think post count really matters. Look at the time they have been around and the knowledge and advice they give. I've been a part of this site for quite a while but don't have a ton of posts. I've been here for pretty close to 3 years now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting my name in the hat, just saying that post counts don't mean a whole lot.

And where was I when this acura yahoo was on? I'm IN an acura dealer and coulda put ol numbnuts in his place.

slow 2K2GT
08-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I dont want to be a mod because than I cant get away with being a prick all the time, tnot that its a good thing to be a prick all the time..

GTSTISL
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
you're right, posts dont really count. but then again, just because someone doesnt know alot about FI or something else, doesnt mean they can't mod that topic. a mod is supposed to regulate the section, and make sure no SPAM or fighting goes on, or move topics. so really, we just need someone who is going to check up often, and regulate the section. anyone else agree?

evan938
08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
+1, but some knowledge of the topic would help

paki
08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah you've got the right idea. knowledge makes a person an expert at it, but a mod doesnt necessarily have to have knowledge. as long as they can point, click, and delete/ban.. then they're eligible to be a mod :P

hyunelan2
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I dont want to be a mod because than I cant get away with being a prick all the time, tnot that its a good thing to be a prick all the time..

That is something to keep in mind. It does sometimes get annoying having to bite my tounge and be nice, when in my pre-mod days I might have just told the person they were an idiot and should die.

IMO, ideally the regular 'topic moderators' should have a knowledge of the topic they are a mod of (for example, I was the mod of appearance and interior). You don't need a PhD of the topic, but some in depth understanding would be helpful. 'Topic Mods' only have powers within the topics they moderate. Super Moderators are the ones who move things around, watch for fighting/spamming and have the powers to ban, if necessary. Although most of the time a ban is discussed by at least a few mods.

I think this is good discussion. It's showing not only who we all feel should/could be a mod, but what mods should be doing as well.

Remember, only James (SuperGLS) has the powers to appoint or demote a moderator, so it's really his decision.

kylemorg
08-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Hyunelan -- If you're looking for Topic moderators, I wouldn't mind volunteering for the Audio/Video/Security or Help! forums, the Northeast, or to be a Super Moderator. Contrary to the opinions of some in this thread, I don't see a lot of spam or topics that need to be locked that haven't been already.

However, I do see a lot of thread hijacking and duplicate threads being started lately -- it'd be nice to be able to remove off topic posts, lock redundant threads or at least steer the topics back into line...

I have no agenda and really don't "have it in" for anyone here, so I'll be an equal opportunity offender... ;)

hyunelan2
08-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Hyunelan -- If you're looking for Topic moderators, I wouldn't mind volunteering for the Audio/Video/Security or Help! forums, the Northeast, or to be a Super Moderator.

Like I said above, this is James decision. We can all provide him with input and opinoins, but it's up to him if he wants to make more mods.

DAILLESTWUN
08-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah I definately don't believe in the # of posts thing cuz I only have about 450 and I've been on these forums longer than most people on here.. I took a little hiatus a while back but I'm still here...

I come on EXD at least 7-10 times a day, seriousely lol

ilanpro
08-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Being a Mod not Why I am posting this. I just feel that we need the Mods to be more involved period, I dont see that from 60% of them

DAILLESTWUN
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Why doesn't someone post the names of the mods cuz I bet most of us would be like "Who the heck is that?"

ilanpro
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Why doesn't someone post the names of the mods cuz I bet most of us would be like "Who the heck is that?"

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showgroups.php?

DAILLESTWUN
08-01-2005, 05:18 PM
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showgroups.php?

Thanks lol

slow 2K2GT
08-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Wow I can count at least 3 from that list that I dont see much of round these here parts. Oh yeah and EXD almost got me divorced, lol. Since ive been on leave for the last two weeks when I wake up at night, before I go to bed, all the time I stop in here. Man this place is addictive, even if there is 1 new post I gotta take a look!

GTSTISL
08-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow I can count at least 3 from that list that I dont see much of round these here parts. Oh yeah and EXD almost got me divorced, lol. Since ive been on leave for the last two weeks when I wake up at night, before I go to bed, all the time I stop in here. Man this place is addictive, even if there is 1 new post I gotta take a look!
i bet you know about this too, the all dreaded "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds before submitting another search. You have 29 seconds to wait before another search will be allowed." :bang:

evan938
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/member.php?u=14 last VISIT, mid june

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/member.php?u=116 last POST 7/6 and post before that 6/22

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/member.php?u=158 wont come back to the site because of a few choice people (and lets not start a flame)

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/member.php?u=156 i dont think he even pays much attention any more, and only posts 1-2x a month

mrhoaf
08-01-2005, 10:50 PM
The point has been made.

this thread is at a point where it could get pretty nasty, very quickly..... and I don't think that is what was intended when it was started.

I'm not saying this because you should be afraid of moderators (or super mods) and retaliation.... I'm sure that wouldn't happen on this site. However, we all need to tread lightly, and think through what you post before you post in this thread, or about this subject. This is a sensitive subject, and it ultimately is up to SuperGLS if anything is going to be done... if anyone is going to be replaced or added.

Notice that he has not posted on this subject.

This is not because he isn't aware of the situation, or because he's ignoring it. These are exactly the types of matters where specifics (names, incidents, etc.) need to be discussed in private, not public.
I think at this point, if SuperGLS wants your opinion on this situation, he'll PM or IM you about it....

hyunelan2
08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
^^^ You are wise my friend.

I don't think Evan was trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but lets be careful we don't do that. Some of those mods might have given a whole lot to the site at one time, and should be commended for their service. A lot of times life gets in the way of hobbies, like EXD. I'm pretty sure that the majority of mods who have been MIA do not have anything against the site. But, instead, have been pulled in directions away from the Elantra and our internet community. If any of them end up being demoted, I hope no-one hear looks down upon them, for they are still the knowledge-rich person they've always been, but may not have the time dedication at the current time. Who knows, maybe they'll all be back.

Cypher
08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
well i know i'm a noob and haven't been on this site long at all compared most of you in this thread... and more or likely i started a thread that was a duplicate but i don't recognize some of those moderators or super mods... i haven't seen any recent posts by them... so i hope all of you figure out something to make this great site a lil better... sorry thanks for letting a noob get a lil word in lol

ilanpro
08-01-2005, 11:32 PM
The reason for the Mods is for them to take some control of situations ,I am not against any of them I just feel that there should be Mods that are around at least 5 times a week when "04 elantra cvvt" Whent MIA he was botted of his Moderator Rigths, Why?? beacuse he needs to be around. Thats all. Some Mods have totally lost interest on the XD. Is for the best interest of the site.

evan938
08-01-2005, 11:34 PM
im not saying anything bad about the mods, and they have contributed GREATLY, but i dont see why they should stay mods when they either dont post or hardly come to the site. i think thats a title that should be given to people who want to better the site...i think a little change every now and then is good, and needed.

ilanpro
08-01-2005, 11:41 PM
In all honesty between Supergls and hyunelan2, they are doing a great Job keeping control, rckozma and SWortham are always here. But do we really need a Mod for each category?? the 4 I mention are very involved and capable, Just be overall Moderators and get it over with.

felixr
08-02-2005, 07:39 AM
i agree with the not mentioning specific people here cause it may be miscontstrued.
i think each person shoul dbe contacted individually to talk to them about this and to get feedback on it. sort of as a way of breaking it gently.

DAILLESTWUN
08-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Well the mods who aren't here anymore, or barely come around should have at least let us know they were going to be MIA for a while...

I also agree, maybe so many mods are not needed. Just a few...

rckozma
08-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Well the mods who aren't here anymore, or barely come around should have at least let us know they were going to be MIA for a while...

I also agree, maybe so many mods are not needed. Just a few...

FYI, some of the mods that went MIA did discuss it with the other mods. Their reasons don't necessarily need to be made public.

I get on whenever I can, sometimes at work but mostly when I get home. I am a mobile technician, which means my office is my customer's sites. I don't always either have the time or the network connection to get on when I am at work. Not trying to make excuses for not being on all day, just stating the facts, if it is a slow day at work then it is a busy day on EXD and vice versa.

sed
08-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Just to chime in here.

Sorry for being a little off topic, but here goes...

First and foremost, remember, being a moderator on here is not a job, it doesn't pay bills. We do what we can when we can.

Also remember, that topic moderators (me, ford, levianthant, casey etc) DO NOT have any authority to do anything outside of our selective topics. We can not ban, close, move, do anything outside of that limited space.

This by no means is an excuse not to come to the website, but always remember that this place is a hobby, its an enthusiast club. It isn't something that I can put on a resume or job application.

That being said, I am all for moderation, all for people being taught the right and wrong things to do and/or say, I think that in my time as a moderator, that i did what I could with my limited capabilities.

I am not leaving this site forever, I like the people and atmosphere here a lot and enjoy everyones company.

I am, however taking a hiatus from selling here, I need to put into place the right process so I can better take care of the few customers I do get online.

I will be away for a while, so I can set up everything I need to set up and get my retail website up and running.

Just stop and think everyone, being a moderator isn't something that comes easy, there are a lot of things that are required of you that you wouldn't think about before you got the job...

Want to tell someone they suck at life? You can't.

Want to just go off and yell and scream and rant and rave? You can't.

Want to come on here drunk and stupid and just play around? Frowned upon.

James, Mike and Robert keep this place running. I think that it is a slap in the face to them to make a post such as this. If anyone has a personal problem with the moderation or administration of this site, it should go through James first.

IMHO, this thread should not exist unless James was notified first. If he was and gave his o.k., then this is the proper method.

If anyone would like me to step down as a moderator for any reasons, please get in contact with me by all means.

thank you for your time

shawn

ilanpro
08-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Is not about you Sed or anyone in particular. I am not taking a shot at anyone. Some mods have moved on to other things thats all. I am a grown man and I dont need to ask for permission to start this thread. I never said that they are not doing a great Job, So lets not get into being correct or not here. Qoutes like this "I think that it is a slap in the face to them to make a post such as this" is what starts wars. If I did that then Just ban me and thats it.

BlackElantraGT
08-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Is not about you Sed or anyone in particular. I am not taking a shot at anyone. Some mods have moved on to other things thats all. I am a grown man and I dont need to ask for permission to start this thread. I never said that they are not doing a great Job, So lets not get into being correct or not here. Qoutes like this "I think that it is a slap in the face to them to make a post such as this" is what starts wars. If I did that then Just ban me and thats it.

I'm with you on this one Ilan.

kylemorg
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Instead of just complaining, I thought I'd offer to help -- maybe there should be a moderator and assistant moderator for some of the busier groups.

Perhaps if more people here would contact a moderator when they see something wrong, the problem would be fixed. They can't be everywhere and read every post in every thread every hour of the day, but I've never had a problem that wasn't addressed extremely quickly when I PM'ed a moderator. You'll get a much faster response from the moderators here than you will if you try to contact an online vendor, and these guys are doing this for free.

Do your part to help them out, too, and if you can, site specific examples as to what you don't like by thread / post so that everyone knows the details of what you don't like. (You wouldn't just take your car into the shop, say you don't like the way it handles 60% of the time and expect them to fix it without specifics, would you?)

hyunelan2
08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
^^^ Remember there is that button on the upper-right portion of each post (Triangle with " ! " in it) to report the post to moderator. Clicking that sends an email to all mods (at least all super mods) so they can check it out. A few people here report stuff, but not many.

Edit, and I don't think that Ilan was trying to insult anyone by starting this thread. I think it was more of a 'hey, these guys are missing, lets replace them, what do you think' type post. At least that's the way I took it.