What would it take...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would it take...

Ultimate Post Whore PSUsouthpaw knows a lot about Elantras

Default What would it take...

for an 04 Elantra auto to take on a 04 Mustang v6 manual at the track? Anyone know roughly what kind of times the mustang is looking at running stock? I have a friend back home who spent 19k on a brand new v6 and now talks loads of trash how he's faster than everyone else. So I kinda want to take him down to shut him up. I'm wondering if anyone knows offhand what kind of times he's looking at running (he sucks at shifting) and what kind of extra stuff I'd need to level the field (have exhaust, intake, plugs. etc.)

I also may go up against another friend in a 99 Malibu v6 and one with a Caprice police interceptor package v8...he's fast but his car is heavy!

Thanks guys!
    2013 Elantra GLS: Daily Driver
    2004 Elantra GLS: Not Dead Yet...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: What would it take...

Well, for that caprice interceptor, you'll need a jet turbine strapped to the roof. The mustang v6 is also going to be a reach, but maybe with enough Nitrous? Dunno, having the auto limits your power to a max of about 200hp before the trans lets go.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Class Out The *** korai9989 has not yet proved knowledgeable korai9989's Avatar

mustang v6 is alright, but if it isn't an 8, he can't talk smack. i have a friend with a newer cobra, beautiful car.

240sx in pieces!

2001 Hyundai Elantra RIP
    2006 Mazda 6s
    1990 Nissan 240sx

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

throw a 100 shot of nitrous. the v6's are slow..well almost as slow as the elantras. 3.6ltr stang, without decent tires and maby a bad driver you might tie/loose by a little. with spray, you should beat him.
    click here for K-sport coilover deal
    https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14992

You have no chance against the caprice police interceptor, haha I would laugh at you if your tried to race me in a elantra if I had that caprice. As for the v6 ford, with enough work to your car you could take him.

Hehe. I'm not planning on going up against that interceptor in the Elantra. If I did he'd probably respond "nice try, but you can make it quicker. He was the guy that helped get me into modding way back at the begining, so we're just friends in a perpetual P****ing contest. When the Fiero swap is complete, we might tie off evenly. AS for that mustang, getting him to the track would be the hard part...guy is a real P**** and rarely backs up half the stuff he says.

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

i have beaten v6 stangs w/my xd. of course i sprayed, but i beat her (some chick at work talking a bunch of ****) by a car + (she spun 1st and i was already gone). at the track when i ran my friends '90 5.0 convertable (dynoed 225whp and 260 wtq), i took him till the 60' mark, then when he hit 3rd, it was all over (i got smoked).

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

bah on v6 mustangs!

4.6L SOHC EFI V-8 260 hp @ 5250 RPM
    302 lb-ft @ 4,000 RPM 6.0 sec N/A sec 14.7 sec @ 98 mph 139 mph

thats for a 4.6L V8 2004 mustang. with 260hp they only pull a 14.7!!! i'd say a v6 could hit mid to high 15s depending on the driver. i'd say at this point i'd give one a run for their money.
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

14.7...wow...one of my friends GTPs will do that with just an intake...

What kind of mod list did you have Cypher? I have a few months to contemplate what I'm going to do about this guy, since I won't be back in PA until early June.

My main problem: Automatic transmission and semi-limited budget (Limited if I want to do other things in life than mod the Elantra...)

Ultimate Post Whore FordFasteRR can identify a wrench FordFasteRR's Avatar

you need wet nitrous kit.

lots of it.

enough to blow up the motor to beat him. lol

Also, you'll need a trans-oil cooler.

You'll want some stiffer springs and some good rubber to make it hook up on the launch.

A single stage, single fogger - 100 shot with a progressive controller should do it.

Start off at 50% and ramp up to 100% at 4000 rpms and youre golden.

Get a set of NGKBKR6E-11 spark plugs... those can handle the nitrous without melting. Make sure to run premium fuel for at least one full tank before you spray.

Get a bottle heater and a guage, heat up the bottle to at least 1000 psi before you race.

Good luck !
    Last edited by FordFasteRR; 03-25-2006 at 05:33 PM.

nitrous, nitrous, nitrous, nitrous...best damn bang for your buck

dayum ford, why did i have to go and get rid of mine? i had soooooo much fun with nitrous.

The V6 Stang is no joke.... And who knows what that guy has done to it. I've seen V6 Mustangs smoke GTs... I think he'll take you until, specially after you blow your motor. That Caprice, my wife has an 01 Malibu... Why is that 99 at the track? The Caprice will def take it.

the v6 stang might have an intake at most. The malibu is another friend of mine who will most likely end up tagging along to the track with us and may just race...
    Last edited by PSUsouthpaw; 03-25-2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot something

u shouldnt have a ruff time beating the stang, go for the normal I/H/E maybe bore throttle body (switch the damn thing to a 5 speed) , and like the rest said maybe throw a 50shot in it shouldnt have a problem

Junior Member BlkElntraDrvr has not yet proved knowledgeable BlkElntraDrvr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyunelan2
    Well, for that caprice interceptor, you'll need a jet turbine strapped to the roof. .

LMAO!
    "dood youre being very undood dood"

I have a freind who with a stock 4.0ltre mustang with an AUTO ran 15.3 all day long. Look for right around 15.0 from the 5spd. The newish 4.6 ran 14.3 and the new body mustangs can put it in the 13s on a good day. Your gonna need a nice N/a tune and 75shot to keep with/beat that stang. Good luck.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

i'm sorry but i don't think a stock (or mostly stock) v6 mustang is something to fear. i'd run one in a heart beat. hell i'd run a gt. just because if the driver is a ****ing moron he'll spin the tires or something while i take off! the v6 is an underpowered car in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher
    if the driver is a ****ing moron he'll spin the tires or something
    Yes. He is a very big one. He bought the stang for 19k with the v6, sayijng he wanted a fast, nice looking car. What he won't tell anyone is that our friend matt (Interceptor) had found him a 99 GT 5 spd with 40k for $6500, cammed, exhaust, intake, etc. Mustang boy whined it was too much power, bought the 6 cylinder...and now whines he doesn't have enough power since the looks got boring.

His girlfriend arrived days after he bought the mustang...he drives it every time he goes to see her...even in icy weather...yet denies there's a connection here...in fact gets very loud and angry about it when we point this out...

His daily driver is a cavalier...he claims he wants to sell it and get an RSX-S...which will be faster than his precious Stang....so yeah..I want to beat him just for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher
    i'm sorry but i don't think a stock (or mostly stock) v6 mustang is something to fear. i'd run one in a heart beat. hell i'd run a gt. just because if the driver is a ****ing moron he'll spin the tires or something while i take off! the v6 is an underpowered car in my opinion.
    Well said, and even a GT is underpowered IMO.

Your main problem is the tranny. With 5 sp and basic bolt ons you should be able to beat him, but auto will need some nitrous.

if that one car was that heavily modified then its likely the driver beat the hell outta the car ya know? probably a good thing he didn't buy it. i wouldn't buy a car thats been heavily modified for that reason. you never know how the previous owner treated the car

+ Reply to Thread