Doesn't hit as hard as it should...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't hit as hard as it should...

Default Doesn't hit as hard as it should...

Alright soooo... i'm thinking maybe something is wrong... I have 2 Type R subs, each with their own 600 watts RMS amp... I have a 1 farad Capacitor and i'm using 4 GA wire from the battery to the cap. All fuses are good, everything is wired properly... so what could it be? My Rockford Fosgate P1's seemed to have hit harder and they were only 150 watts a piece and used the same Box. Is it perhaps my battery and such isn't strong enough?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Full Member Blastation has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Re: Doesn't hit as hard as it should...

what size is the box and is it sealed or ported, do you have a hatcback or sedan. i have 1 12inch infinity and it rocks hard with just a puch 75

sealed box, 1.25 cubic feet per chamber. Subs are firing at the trunk which is dynamatted... but either way, i had the P1's in the exact same configuration and they shook the car a lot more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Are you using the same amps as you had with your old subs? If the new subs 'can take' more power, they probably need more power to be pushed. i.e. 1 watt moved your old sub more than 1 watt can move your current sub.

Just a possibliity.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

the other thing to look at the wont be the whole problem, but could be a contributing factor is, do the impedence (i.e. 1,2,4 ohms)on the subs, capacitor and amps all match? if they don't it will bog you system.

Class Out The *** korai9989 has not yet proved knowledgeable korai9989's Avatar

what amp do you have with an rms of 600, cause i'm looking around myself.

240sx in pieces!

2001 Hyundai Elantra RIP
    2006 Mazda 6s
    1990 Nissan 240sx

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

re-tune the amp. and what ohm load are the subs making the amp run at? and are they properly matched up (subs to amp)?
    click here for K-sport coilover deal
    https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14992

it's a 600 watt Alpine mono amp running at 2 ohms, the Subs are dual 4 ohm subs. I used the Diagram on sound-domain AND i double check with what came with my subs/amps. I followed the directions to the T, it should be wired properly. There is a list of my parts here... https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14305

I did a lot of messing around with it. There was a setting on my HU that i changed and now it hits harder... but it stills seems like it should hit even harder than that... i means it's 1200 watts RMS... and it's still not quite up to the 300 my RF's put out...

I made this little thing in paint. The grey and red lines simulate the wires that actually CAME with the subs. Then the green wire is the wire going to the box and then of course to the amp. This is how my manual told me to wire it. If there is a better way to wire it please let me know.

From there I have a distribution block that has a single 4 Gauge in and 2 8 gauge out going the the amps(8 ga is the largest wire my amps will take) The dist block is fused too.

I also noticed i'm getting a LOT of noise from my alternator into 1 of my subs... i turn my music all the way down and 1 sub was making noise... turn the engine off, noise went away.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by acarzt; 03-27-2006 at 11:13 PM.

since only one of the subs is making the noise, definitely check the ground for that amp. a poor ground would cause engine noise and significantly reduce performance. also, if you have an alpine deck (don't remember) make sure to turn up the sub output to at least 10 or so (i think it goes to 15)

edit: one more ? what do you have the low pass filter set to on either the deck or amps?
    Last edited by chaos GT; 03-27-2006 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos GT
    since only one of the subs is making the noise, definitely check the ground for that amp. a poor ground would cause engine noise and significantly reduce performance. also, if you have an alpine deck (don't remember) make sure to turn up the sub output to at least 10 or so (i think it goes to 15)

edit: one more ? what do you have the low pass filter set to on either the deck or amps?
    yea, Alpine deck...
    Bass = -2
    Treble = 0
    Sub = 15

I found the noise to be coming from the rca cables... i fixed that, noise is gone. Still ****ty performance. When i get time tomorrow i'm going to completely eliminate the cap and see what happens. The Frequency on the Sub amps are set to around 90 hz don't know the exact number. Gain is up to about 75%, 100% sounds distorted and doesn't really hit any harder. Checked all connections and they all seemed good.. i'm gonna sand some more paint off the grounding points and see what happens. Other than that, there's nothing i can think of. Checked all the fuses and they look good.

PS bass is set that low cuz the door speaker will distort if I go much higher. The music sounds best at that setting... cept that the subs don't hit hard enough lol

Also, even as weak as the subs are hitting they still start to distort once the music gets louder...this leads me to believe the problem is at or before the amps.
    Last edited by acarzt; 03-28-2006 at 01:16 AM.

actually you know what it sounds like?? just humor double check to be 100% sure the speakers wires are correctly wired, it kinda sounds like the positive and negative are switched, especially the early distortion.

So i looked up the recommended box size for my subs and for a sealed box it recommends .7-1 cu. ft... mine is 1.25 cu. ft. would that cause this effect? I can't imagine .25 cubic feet can make THAT HUGE of a difference.... bah just considering all possibilities *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by metalfetish
    actually you know what it sounds like?? just humor double check to be 100% sure the speakers wires are correctly wired, it kinda sounds like the positive and negative are switched, especially the early distortion.
    I doubt it.. i checked like a million times before I even screwed the subs into the box... but worst case scenario i'll check that out... it would just be a PITA to pull the box out of the trunk, then the subs out the box just to find they're wired correctly lol.

I think that your problem is that you aren't getting enough power to the amps. Adn with a stock charging system, you really cant. On mine, i have a second battery that has helped some with the power, but i know that with only 75A coming from the alternator, the 120A that the two amps want combined, (plus the 4 channel, and what the engine requires) there is simply not enogh electricity to push the amps fully. Be carefull with those amps tho, i blew one by "motorboating" it (not feeding it enoght power). If you are willing to risk it, try playing with the input sencitivity on the amps. And i know that sucks if you have to do it at the amps. damn tiny screws. If your near houston i can look at it with you so troubleshoot it against my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by johnblaze94
    I think that your problem is that you aren't getting enough power to the amps. Adn with a stock charging system, you really cant. On mine, i have a second battery that has helped some with the power, but i know that with only 75A coming from the alternator, the 120A that the two amps want combined, (plus the 4 channel, and what the engine requires) there is simply not enogh electricity to push the amps fully. Be carefull with those amps tho, i blew one by "motorboating" it (not feeding it enoght power). If you are willing to risk it, try playing with the input sencitivity on the amps. And i know that sucks if you have to do it at the amps. damn tiny screws. If your near houston i can look at it with you so troubleshoot it against my setup.
    Thanks for the input man, i'm not incredibly worried about breaking anything cuz i bought it all at best buy w/warranty, so if anything breaks it'll get fixed. It would still be a hassel and i'd have to wait for a while to get my amp back, but at least it wont cost me anything.

The problem is simple man... The subs are wired wrong. Look at the specs of your amp. It is only 600W at 2 ohms. If you are running dual voice coil subs at 4 ohms per coil then you have the subs wired wrong. The way you have it wired now will keep the subs @ 4 ohms. You have the coils wired in parallel. They need to be wired in series for it to drop the load to 2 ohms. You should have the Neg from the amp going to the neg of the 1st coil, then jumper from the 1st coil + to the second coil -, then attach the incoming plus to the second coil. Only 1 jumper required, from the positive of the coil with the negative lead to the - of the coil with the positive lead.

This picture should help. Good luck man Let me know how those type-r subs hit!
    Attached Images

^^^Wouldn't that allow him to use only 1 amp though?

Nope, Hyunelan2, If the subs he was using were both 4 ohm SINGLE voice coil subs, then yes he could use one amp. He is using DUAL voice coil subs with 1 amp per sub. The coils are what draw the power. It is like having the power and clarity of two subs. That diagram illustrates the wiring of one sub to one amp. In order to see the specified rating at 2 ohms, you must first be at a 2 ohm load. Wiring the two 4 ohm voice coils in series drops the total load for the sub to 2 ohms.

gotcha, thanks. I'm no expert, but I know enough about audio to confuse myself a lot of the time.

Junior Member mlrman has not yet proved knowledgeable

never had DVC subs....help me understand.

imagine his diagram as TWO seperate 4 ohm subs instead of two seperate voice coils. The way he has it wired (in paralel) on two seperate 4 ohm subs would generate a 2ohm load.

isn't this also the case with two 4 ohm voice coils?

hmmm, Iam gonna have to do some checking on this, I am curious.

good luck dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver05GT
    The problem is simple man... The subs are wired wrong. Look at the specs of your amp. It is only 600W at 2 ohms. If you are running dual voice coil subs at 4 ohms per coil then you have the subs wired wrong. The way you have it wired now will keep the subs @ 4 ohms. You have the coils wired in parallel. They need to be wired in series for it to drop the load to 2 ohms. You should have the Neg from the amp going to the neg of the 1st coil, then jumper from the 1st coil + to the second coil -, then attach the incoming plus to the second coil. Only 1 jumper required, from the positive of the coil with the negative lead to the - of the coil with the positive lead.

This picture should help. Good luck man Let me know how those type-r subs hit!
    You are incorrect sir. If i had a 4 ohm amp and dual 2 ohm sub that's how i would wire it. I have it wired correctly.

I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!! It's something really stupid that shouldn't exist... or at least i don't think it should...

Anyway... so i was messing with some setting on the amps... I turned the frequency on one amp ALL the way up and it got rediculously loud... like blurred my vision loud lol...but it wasn't just ONE sub it made BOTH louder... hmmm so i turn the Frequency up on the other one and the Sub got quiet.. wtf? so i turned that one all the way down and they got loud again... and they weren't distorted or anything even with the gain ALL the way up. Anyway after playing with it a while i have one amp frequency all the way down and the other at about 160. Sounds good and hit hard as **** now... lol now my only new complaint is that my sun visors squeek now lol.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!! Thanks especially to 2loud for suggesting to retune the amps heh.

Now can anyone explain why this happened?

+ Reply to Thread