Question for the auto XD 1/4 runners
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for the auto XD 1/4 runners

Superfly TnT, Guns of ... ArunSenior04 knows about Elantras ArunSenior04's Avatar

Default Question for the auto XD 1/4 runners

OK. ive been searching the NT forums, but its really useful info, as their trans are abit different than the XD1 trans.

1. Best way to launch? (Power braking, hovering gas)
    2. Best way to run? (leave it in D, L23D)

Im asking the XD1 people, as the XD2 is different than mine (when in L, itll shift at redline.)

Perhaps Oddessit could chime in.
    I am openly BLACK. it is cool to be different 1 of 5 black members on this forum

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS (COTM Dec. '06) - RIP
    2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

My name is Aaron Vampyrate knows a lot about Elantras Vampyrate's Avatar

Default Re: Question for the auto XD 1/4 runners

if you powershift (L23D) then you will overheat the tranny very quickly, and cause it to become too hot after doing that more than 2x. if you want to do that, get a tranny cooler asap. but that would be a good idea, since it gives you a bit more control over the shift points of the car to a certain extent. and if you do powershift, dont take your foot off the gas, just keep shifting so the car doesnt hiccup as much when launching.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    Some problem with the Internet and Jesus not getting along or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    There hadn't been a problem in weeks and then last night out of nowhere Jesus strikes again. Sorry kids.

KDM to JDM. Keyan can identify a wrench Keyan's Avatar

For XD1s, leave it in D, foot hard on brake, rpms up to around 1500 (stall speed of the converter)

For XD2s, same thing but leave it in L.
    MySpace/Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by someone on NJTuners.com
    never tell someone with a turbocharged elantra they cant do something
    Quote Originally Posted by OPZ View Post
    Keyan.

You are my ****ing hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God mtlelantra knows a lot about Elantras mtlelantra's Avatar

You can load the brake for better grip so you can launch at a few higher rpms without slipping... Brake in N, and then rev the engine and your brake pedal should sink a little lower. Then you can shift into gear and rev it. But yeah, don't sit there at the tree and have it revving while you wait, or you'll mess up the torque converter quicker.

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

when i sprayed at the track, i left it in D. get the rpm's up to about 3000 while holding the brake pedal hard, then launch. but i also sprayed right out the whole. i didnt like the whole idea of shifting from L23D as i bounced it off the rev limiter a couple times.
    click here for K-sport coilover deal
    https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14992

Bleh RedScorp has not yet proved knowledgeable

Why would you not run it from L23D? You get much more use out of the entire gear then you do if you let the transmission shift automatically...

Is there something I'm not understanding here?

Not all cars are faster messing with the shifter. Ive known atleast 3 diffrent cars that did better left in drive. I know just as many that are faster "manually" shifting.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

Quote Originally Posted by WytchDctr
    Not all cars are faster messing with the shifter. Ive known atleast 3 diffrent cars that did better left in drive. I know just as many that are faster "manually" shifting.
    Interesting...I didn't know that. Now by all cars, you mean it differs from each individual car even if the same make or between different manufacturers?

My best friends Grand Am (gone now) = Lost .2-.3 secs in the 1/4 screwing with the shifter

Another friends Eclipse v6 did .1-.2 better in D

Then I knew a saturn that ran a tenth or so faster in D

On the other side I know someone with a carolla thats slow as dirt in D. "shift it" and it gets alot faster.

My wifes Mazda5 is faster in "manual" mode, but thats also because itll turn another 500rpms in +- then it will in D

I think it depends on how well the tcm is programed and how the trans is built. Id go buy what other owners of the same make/model have done, but still do a lil testing on your own car to see what it likes.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

Anyone in SoCal want to meet me at Irwindale Speedway then? =) They open their strip on Thursdays. My work schedule right now doesn't permit it, but hopefully soon that will change.

Superfly TnT, Guns of ... ArunSenior04 knows about Elantras ArunSenior04's Avatar

Like I have searched on NT, and they some of those guys have said that they ran slower times shifting, than just leaving it in D. But it just seems a little faster when shifting, but most of the power is at the lower RPMS (i think), so I dunno.
    I am openly BLACK. it is cool to be different 1 of 5 black members on this forum

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

If your car redlines when you leave it in D, then leave the shifter alone and let the tranny do the job.

Launch like some people have said: one foot on the brake, another one on gas, rev it up till you can, then floor it and release brake.

How do you do it Odessit?!?

I have hotshot headers, 2.25" cat back with stock cat and res to a straight thru borla xs, udp, cam gear (advanced 4 clicks/8 degrees,) and a 3" cai.

With just a Cai, I ran a 17.2, at Capital.

R/t: 1.26
    60': 2.458
    330': 7.158
    1/8: 11.078
    MPH: 63.07
    1000: 14.427
    1/4: 17.286
    MPH: 78.7

Today with all those mods, I ran a 16.9 at Cecil.

R/t: .383
    60': 2.610
    330': 7.248
    1/8: 11.037
    MPH: 65.51
    1000: 14.246
    1/4: 16.977
    MPH: 82.57

Im starting to think it may be something to do with my traction. Im at 63K miles, and Im still on my stock tires. I have maybe a 1/4" of tread on my fronts (one Kumho, and one Phaser,) and even less on the back. If you compare the two, my first one is actually beating me by ~.2 in the 60', then ~.1 in the 330'. By the 1/8, Ive pretty much caught up.

Im thinking about maybe setting the putting back to stock. And going down to Capital. This isnt making any sense.
    Last edited by ArunSenior04; 07-08-2006 at 01:03 AM.

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

your sprocket is ADVANCED REECE!!!!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

fixed.

The thing is, I know the power is there. (Comparing the two slips) By the 1/8, I was able to make up the .2 I lost in the 60'. At 1/8, we are pretty much even. By the end of the 1/4, Im up by .3 seconds. So in total, I went from being .2 under, to .3 ahead.

Now to figure out why Im doing worst in the 60.

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Poster God CTele02 has not yet proved knowledgeable CTele02's Avatar

I think your problem is the fact you have an autotragic like me... with all those mods you should be beating 16 secs with a manual...

Natural Aspired on an XD ESPECIALLY an autotragic is not cost effective... (thanks for being another example of why) F/I is the only way to go Perhaps the only way youll get lower numbers is with nitrous, thus all your mods would be helpful then.

Doing worse in the "low end" means you must of lost some low end torque in exchange for high end Hp, the only way youd know is if you did a before and after dyno.

You gotta remember, small engines with N/A = not much gains unless you have some crazy tuning or timing system (Vtec)... this is why the EVO and the STi and the GolfR32 all come turbo with their comparable sized engines.
    Last edited by CTele02; 07-08-2006 at 03:13 AM.

Now: 2006 Subaru Legacy
    Rota Slipstreams For Sale

Acountabilibuddy ricerrx7 knows a lot about Elantras

R32 didn't have a turbo. It had a 3.2 liter V6.
    Flying spaghetti monster loves you...

I am openly an *******. 1 of 3251 *******s on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
    If your car redlines when you leave it in D, then leave the shifter alone and let the tranny do the job.
    I'm not aware any car left in D capable of redlining. The whole purpose of the tranny in D throughout the gears is that it shifts at a safe and fairly economical point. If the car shifted at redline at every gear when left in D, there wouldn't be a need for much else...
    Last edited by RedScorp; 07-08-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

any auto ive been in will go damn near redline if you run it at WOT. if you are easier on the gas it will shift earlier.
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by evan938
    any auto ive been in will go damn near redline if you run it at WOT. if you are easier on the gas it will shift earlier.
    I guess I don't grab throttle a lot when it's in D. I almost always do it shifting to get the maximum runout on every gear. Ya learn something new everyday I guess.

+ Reply to Thread