lightest cheapest 15"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lightest cheapest 15"

Super Hero XDGT03 has not yet proved knowledgeable XDGT03's Avatar

Default lightest cheapest 15" ? ADDED MATH QUIZ see last

Where are they, what are they where can i get them. i have search all over the friggen place and can't find a decent 15" rim in a 6-7 inch wide for around a hundie a piece. Those Konig Heliums would be perfect if they had the right pattern.

Suggestions?

Oh yes this is for autox purposes so I don't care about style, color, etc...
    Last edited by XDGT03; 08-14-2004 at 02:19 AM. Reason: speeling lol spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Countersteer forever SWortham has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Re: lightest cheapest 15"

Rota Slipstreams or Subzero's are both very light and pretty cheap.
    I can't remember what they weigh but it should be listed here...
    www.wheelweights.net
    "Some say that his left foot is made of soap and that he once wrestled an Elk with his bare hands. All we know is they call him Bob."

Click here to see pictures of the old ride.

Poster God XTRAWLD has not yet proved knowledgeable XTRAWLD's Avatar

Hmmm, run on a bunch of spares!!! lol

Light and cheap wheels......it's hard because alot of places don't list weight as one of the specs. Good luck though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Junior Member CaseyGT2001 has not yet proved knowledgeable CaseyGT2001's Avatar

If I remember correctly, the Rota Slipstreams 15" weigh 11.8lbs. I think they are the best wieght/cost ratio.

Machiii.net sells them for 450 a set, and ships them for free
    or you can get them with a set of 205/50/15 Azenis...
    mounted, balanced, with hub rings, stems, and lugs shipped for 810

That's pretty good deal....

Broke @$$ Fool BlackElantraGT has not yet proved knowledgeable BlackElantraGT's Avatar

Yeah I think the lightest, cheapest wheels you can get will be the Rotas. The Kosei rims on Tirerack.com were also fairly light at 14.1 lbs and $200 per rim.

Wow that is a pretty good deal. And light

Edit: disregard

I did find these Motegi's at 14lbs and around $100
    Last edited by XDGT03; 08-13-2004 at 04:06 PM.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

I've heard questionable things about motegi's build-quality. Not saying they're bad, but if you're looking for a performance autocross wheel...
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Broke @$$ Fool BlackElantraGT has not yet proved knowledgeable BlackElantraGT's Avatar

Are you sure those are the right motegi's?? They make some of the heaviest rims out there. They do make a lightweight one but I believe the design is different from that one.

The Motegi Trak_lite is the lightweight racing wheel and it only has a 4x100 or 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I looked into it awhile ago, who wouldn't want this, I love flat black wheels.

Icon makes a track wheel, the W63, it weighs just under 13lbs a wheel, can be had for right around $400 a set and and comes in 15x6.5, 4X4.5, 40mm. Here it is in bronze, but it's also in flat black, silver, and white.
    Last edited by Steve; 08-13-2004 at 04:50 PM.

Default Re: lightest cheapest 15" / ADDED MATH QUIZ

Let me expand on this topic a bit without starting a new thread.

I am interested to know how much hp is lost with each pound of rotational mass. In essence, what do i loose in hp if I go from a 12lb rim to a 13lb'r and 13 to 14 and so on? Is it an equal loss for each lb or does it increase exponentially with ea lb?

Here's another toughy.

If my 16's weigh say 16lb's, less than the stockers which are about 20lbs ea, do I gain, loose, or stay the same in terms of hp since it is lighter but larger in diameter. Will this matter at all since the overall diamter with the tire is about the same?

And

If I get 15's that are 16lbs, therefore smaller in diameter from what I have, how much will be gained (if any).

Also

I'm not exactly clear about the whole off set thing. Is this the distance from the center of the whell to the outer edge. So off set is the amount of the wheel sits away from it's center. So a smaller off set puts the rim closer to the car and a larger off set puts it further away? And how much will that matter with 15" and smaller diameter tires. Assuming there would be no fender rub issue, how far out can the rim set? Assuming I am thinking about off set correctly, what would the max off set be to push the rim furthest out?

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

About the offset -- you are correct. I believe the recommended offset is 42mm, but I read in another topic that 40-45mm works OK.

As for the HP loss, it's not that simple to calculate that when changing wheels. The distribution of the weight from the hub to the outside of the wheel/tire package makes a big difference in the amount of energy needed to spin them; for example, an 18" rim would have the wide flat part of the rim farther out from the hub compared to a 15" rim. Even with the same outside diameter tire, there's more rotational mass towards the outside of the wheel/tire with a larger rim, since all the weight is shifted further out from the hub. Unfortunately, wheel manufacturers aren't going to list that info.

I believe it's actually a function of torque instead of horsepower, but I don't remember enough physics to give you the details. However, generally the lightest and smallest diameter rim will have the least resistance to acceleration/deceleration, which is part of the reason most autocross cars don't use huge wheels. If you go from 16lb 16" rims to 16lb 15" rims you should gain a bit of power at the tires.

Of course, handling on pavement is better with a larger rim and lower profile tire, though.

Interestingly enough, Car and Driver (I believe) had an article a few months back about the super large aftermarket 20+" rims they're putting on SUVs causing problems with braking and quick steering due to the mass shift towards the outside of the wheel/tire assembly!
    Last edited by kylemorg; 08-15-2004 at 01:44 AM.

I can't give you some mathematical equation for this issue, but after driving stock wheels for 2 years, and then switching to bigger, lighter forged rims, I could instantly feel the difference in acceleration.

but after driving stock wheels for 2 years, and then switching to bigger, lighter forged rims, I could instantly feel the difference in acceleration.
    See that goes against convention. You should have actually felt slower off the line for 2 reasons. First, the larger diameter means the wheel has to rotate further to go the same distance. Second, the weight, even if the same or lighter overall (which it is probably heavier with 17" wheels and 17" tires), it pushed further away from the hub or the wheels rotational axis. I wonder if what you are feeling is more stability with wider/larger wheels and that makes the car seem like it is moving faster?

Alright I don't have exact figures for the OEM MXV4 Plus tires but I will use the AVS ES100 weight to compare. In stock size the tires way 19.91 lbs. In 215/45/17 they way 23.1 lbs. That is about a difference of 3.19 lbs. Stock alloys weigh more than 20 lbs. My rims weigh less than 13 lbs. Even with the added weight of the bigger tires, I'm still saving at least 4 lbs per wheel. This is a conservative estimate, as I don't know exactly how much the michelin tires weigh nor do I know the actual weight of stock alloys. The mass of the wheel may be pushed further out because of the bigger rims, but I'm still saving enough weight per wheel to offset that.

- Bnystrom has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default There is no change in horsepower

Horsepower is constant with a given engine and changing wheel/tire weights has no effect on it. What changes is accelleration and decelleration, since the heavier wheels/tires take longer to accellerate at a given HP output and longer to decellerate at a given brake force, due to higher rotational intertia of the wheels/tires and to the slight increase in overall weight (and inertia) of the vehicle. However, it will have the same top speed as a vehicle with lighter wheels/tires; it just takes longer to get there. At a constant speed, wheel/tire weight is only relevent to handling, since they are unsprung weight.

Reducing wheel/tire weight is a way to increase accelleration without having to increase horsepower at the engine. It's certainly a worthwhile thing to do and I will eventually do it myself.

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

Good summary, Bnystrom. I was rambling above since it was almost 2 AM. Inertia was the word I was looking for!

Senior Member jameswing has not yet proved knowledgeable

The thing to look at is the tire diameter not just the wheel size. you can have a larger wheel but a smaller overall tire diameter.

Here is an example using Nitto 450s:
    P205/55 R16 have an inflated dia of 24.88" [16.16 sec]
    235/40 ZR17 have an inflated dia of 24.41" [16.12 sec]

For weights, you need to look at the total change of weight not just the rims. If you are goign to a smaller tire it will probably weigh less, how much does this offset the weight of the wheels, also remember that Al weighs roughtly 1/3 as much as steel.

As far as rotational speed. If the rotational speed is the same a larger radius will cover more distance and travel faster; however, it will require more torque.

Think of 2 objects in geosync orbit one a mile above the other. If they are staying in sync then they have the same rotational speed. The higher one has a longer distance to travel in the same amount of time so it must travel faster.

I'm gonna try to find some formulas to show the point.

Edit:

I found a program that runs a simulated drag race.
    http://performancesimulations.com/dndemo.htm
    I have attached the results forms with 205/55-15s (23.88") and again with 215/45-17s (24.62"). With all of the other settings the same (their generic settings).

The 15s ran a 16.09, and the 17s ran a 16.21.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jameswing; 08-16-2004 at 02:45 PM.
    Black '04 Elantra GT 5-Door, w/ GPS Nav, K&N Panel Filter, & Long list of mods to do.

Black, I apologize. I did not see when I posted you had the Volk wheels. When you said 17"s at 13 lbs I about ****. Now I know why. shoulda looked. That means you decrease the relative dead weight by about 128lb's. That is as much as half of what jay stripped from his car. Your tires are bout 3-4 lbs heavier because of the diamter. Had you stayed at 16"s, you may have actually doubled your realtive dead weight. Probably not important to you but it is what I'm trying to factor.

james, thanx for those results. They should be able to be "rule of thumb" applied. So for 8/10"s increase in diameter, it cost approximately 1/10 of a sec in time.
    Last edited by XDGT03; 08-16-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Senior Member jameswing has not yet proved knowledgeable

That didn't take into account any weight issues though. My main point is that it's not just the size of the wheels, but the overall diameter of the tires. Even though most of the time they are related, sometimes they can have an inverse relation.
    Black '04 Elantra GT 5-Door, w/ GPS Nav, K&N Panel Filter, & Long list of mods to do.

Performance wise for our car for daily use 16's would probably be the best compromise because you have more tires with stiffer sidewalls to choose from, and the rims and tires won't weigh as much as 17's and above. In the end it all depends on your application. If it's going to be for drag then you'd probably want the 15's for the quicker acceleration. If it's auto-x or track use, I think the 16's might be better suited. Tirerack did a test where they plus sized the wheels from 15, 16, and 17" and in the end, they got the best track time with the 17's. Their test seemed legitimate but the only thing that I believe they didn't mention was the weight of each rim and tire. Otherwise everything else remained constant. I went with 17's for the looks and if I had to sell my rims, I'm sure more people would want 17's than 16's.

+ Reply to Thread