My tib vs SS S/C Cobalt
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My tib vs SS S/C Cobalt

Ultimate Post Whore slow 2K2GT knows about Elantras slow 2K2GT's Avatar

Default My tib vs SS S/C Cobalt

Before I start this didnt happen on a legal track but at a closed airstrip with medical and fire units present.

So we had a cruise night last night and managed to get some time on a local small airstrip. Ive never really compared my Tib to any other cars but figured tonite was the time because we were not on roads and it was just with no traffic. I lined up against a yellow supercharged Cobalt. At the drop he got the jump on me and I fell about a full car behind...Damn slipping clutch! I pulled up to about a bumper on him and we evened out by the end of the 1/4. It was a pretty warm night out so I was running the full 17psi, though the heat made the car feel sluggish. I thought my car was quick but I felt kind of cheated with the outcome, though this guy had the stg 3 upgrade to his blower which I think is just a smaller pulley, cat back exhaust, stock ex. manifold, and intake. Oh well for my first EVER pull I was fairly stoked.

I can say that I noticed a difference between boost delivery from his S/C to my turbo, I thought my little TD04 spooled quick but this guy had instant power. Good times!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

Default Re: My tib vs SS S/C Cobalt

So I assume you came in about even? That's pretty good considering that the Cobalt S/C was built (supposedly) from the factory for the S/C and you added a non-oem turbo to a car that was designed as an NA econobox (just like mine ). I'm expecially impressed since he had upgrades on the stock setup.

Good job representing Hyundai, and I'm glad you did it safely!
    665 -- Neighbor of the Beast.

Yes we were pretty much even when we crossed the line. I had a good time but I dont think I could abuse my car like that all the time, I was chirping through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Ultimate Post Whore BColeman knows a lot about Elantras

Those Ecotec 2.2L motors are strong, very strong. And they were built at the factory to take that abuse and S/C.

Every once in a while, running your car like that is good for it. Hell, if you added a turbo, you added it because you were going to use it, not let it look good in the engine bay, right?

Well it does look quite pretty sitting there. lol

^ Ha Ha Ha. Well of course it does, but looks even prettier when your tailights are all that the car you're racing sees. Then you can pop the hood and show off the turbo.

Good run though, but you still could have taken him. Lower the front tire pressure 5 psi or so, and screw the clutch. Well, that's what I would do anyway, then cry about the clutch later.

The Underdog seguin22 has not yet proved knowledgeable seguin22's Avatar

^^The supercharged cobalts are not 2.2l they are 2.0l just so ya know
    Tool~ The Pot (listen to it now)

^ Well, so they are. I didn't believe you at first, I had to go look it up, and sure enough, they are 2.0Ls. That's very interesting, a motor built for boost to go along with it. I wonder why they don't have the 2.2L in them, I wonder what went wrong in the design stages.

Quote Originally Posted by BColeman View Post
    ^ Well, so they are. I didn't believe you at first, I had to go look it up, and sure enough, they are 2.0Ls. That's very interesting, a motor built for boost to go along with it. I wonder why they don't have the 2.2L in them, I wonder what went wrong in the design stages.
    I figure its just so they have different motor options for each package...I think their 2.2 is just a stroker 2.0 isnt it? Either way that many options for engines is kind of a waste of resources IMO.

turbo envy only1db has picked up a wrench only1db's Avatar

the 2.0 is a special motor used by the SS and the redline....hell they even use it in the redline sky and the turbo'd solstice...from what i have read...they are sweet cars!

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer! and blogger?? check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

Veloster Turbo is in the future....

they destroked the engine to help it last longer from what I have read. The 2.2 ecotec has higher piston speeds than the beta at any given rpm, and the beta 2.0's are already moving pretty damn fast.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

The Underdog seguin22 has not yet proved knowledgeable seguin22's Avatar

yea the 2.0l ecotec is a sweet motor, I have a buddy with one, And he has the intense-racing.com stage 5 setup which is like 280whp and that thing screams!!
    Tool~ The Pot (listen to it now)

turbo envy only1db has picked up a wrench only1db's Avatar

i would love to get into one of the redline sky's or even the gxp solstice

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer! and blogger?? check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

Veloster Turbo is in the future....

Looking on the chevy site they list the SS S/C Cobalt as a 2.4L or am I reading this wrong?

Ultimate Post Whore Silentwolf has picked up a wrench

No there is a Chevy SS which is a 2.4 or a Chevy SS S/C which is a 2.0. Same engine just the bored out for the larger displacements.

+ Reply to Thread