Do you agree: Stock brakes=garbage?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree: Stock brakes=garbage?

Default Do you agree: Stock brakes=garbage?

Well for those of you that have been following my updates about my accident, its all done. The lights arrived and the car is running down the road as well as ever. But my brakes still are awful.

Most people that drive my car say the brakes are weak, and i agree. I think they have always been so, but am not sure. For those of you that have OEM brakes, or remember what it was like when you had OEM brakes, what is your opinion on them?

Also, if you think that the brakes are good and i am an anomoly, what do you think could be the problems.

I am also considering upgrading the front disks to the tiburon brakes which are a bit bigger.

FYI: I have stock wheels, new pads and good tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Acountabilibuddy ricerrx7 knows a lot about Elantras

Default Re: Do you agree: Stock brakes=garbage?

I thought the OEM brakes worked quite well for what they were designed to do. What exactly is your problem? Mushy pedal? Long stopping distances?
    Might just need to bleed your brakes...
    Flying spaghetti monster loves you...

I am openly an *******. 1 of 3251 *******s on this forum.

19 second madman tharptroy has not yet proved knowledgeable tharptroy's Avatar

my brakes work fine.
    "Setting up your car for autoX is like tuneing your car for parking." -liveforphysics

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Senior Member cobase has not yet proved knowledgeable

I remember the brakes on the GT (4-wheel disc) got good reviews. One review magazine got 127ft 60-0mph, which is very good. I wouldn't say I was ever unhappy with the brakes (maybe the stock tires weren't the best performers though). I'm happy with my current Hawk pads now.

mostly mushy pedal/lag when braking.

I know the amount of fluid is good, you think there might be air in the lines or something?

Think bleeding them will fix them up?

Player to be named later Doohickie has picked up a wrench Doohickie's Avatar

I'm still running OEM brakes coming up to 40k. They are getting low on the rear discs, but no squealers yet. They felt a little funny when the car was new, but they've been fine once I got used to them.
    Make an ELANTRAXD decal the next mod to your Elantra. Become a Pro Member today.

Call me J xdforme22 can identify a wrench xdforme22's Avatar

I think I would try bleeding the brakes. You might have some air lurking in there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla
    But if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my old motto. Unfortunately that got replaced with: Break it so you can fix it sooner.

KDM to JDM. Keyan can identify a wrench Keyan's Avatar

bleed the brakes and adjust the rear drums. does your e-brake pull high?
    MySpace/Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by someone on NJTuners.com
    never tell someone with a turbocharged elantra they cant do something
    Quote Originally Posted by OPZ View Post
    Keyan.

You are my ****ing hero.

i agree... stock brakes suck balls.... mine feel very weak... i have to press alot harder to get it to stop.... its a pain in the ***.... i might b doing a upgrade to them tho for the summer time, steel lines, rotors, and ceramic pads. till then its w/e... :/

mine work great
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

My XD brakes worked fine. My HD brakes are better because they are nearly 11 inches.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

I've got 4 wheel disc and they're great! I almost totalled the loaner sedan with the drum brakes that the dealer gave me. I couldn't believe the difference!!!

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

mine are fine. if you want an upgrade, just get slotted rotors (not drilled!). and better pads. you will notice a difference
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

i had to stop extreamly short the other day with stock breaks went from 65-70 to 0 in about 5 seconds... was crazy scary but the brakes stopped like champs... ( good tires helped too ) without problem

Senior Douche BobMs_wht2k2 knows a lot about Elantras BobMs_wht2k2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reallyflycouple View Post
    I've got 4 wheel disc and they're great! I almost totalled the loaner sedan with the drum brakes that the dealer gave me. I couldn't believe the difference!!!
    Wow. . . IIRC, the drum cars actually had shorter dry stopping distances by a few feet. . .

Mine are good. I can lock them when pushed hard enough.

Answer: Buy Tib brake booster

Call me J xdforme22 can identify a wrench xdforme22's Avatar

I've noticed that my aunt's hatch seems to have s slightly stiffer pedal. Maybe that had something to do with it. I think the stock brakes are fine.

However, as has been established before stock rotors=garbage.
    Last edited by xdforme22; 11-12-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla
    But if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my old motto. Unfortunately that got replaced with: Break it so you can fix it sooner.

Player to be named later Doohickie has picked up a wrench Doohickie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    They felt a little funny when the car was new, but they've been fine once I got used to them.
    I was thinking about this today and here's what I think feels "funny" about my brakes: We've discussed the RPM hang on the MT Elantra and its impact on shifting- the rpms lag a little when taking your foot off the gas suddenly. I think this happens on the AT Elantras as well, but the only time it is really noticeable is when you are on the gas and then quickly jump on the brake. The engine is still driving the wheels while you're trying to stop them with the brakes.

There are a few ways to counteract this: One is to just be gentle on the brakes and try to anticipate when you're going to stop. Another is to downshift the AT- even though the rpms still are still hanging, that engine speed results in a slower wheel speed. The last possible way (and I've thought about trying this) is to do the restrictor plate mod on the IAC which would keep the rpms from hanging.

Oh, forgot to mention this: If the rpms are hanging and you're the type of person that gets right on the brake, this could contribute to the premature brake pad wear some Elantra owners experience. You're not only fighting the car's momentum, you're also fighting an engine that continues to try to drive the wheels while you're braking.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 11-12-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Make an ELANTRAXD decal the next mod to your Elantra. Become a Pro Member today.

Noob (play gunbound?) jayupark can identify a wrench

SS brake lines and green stuff brake pads really, really helped with the brake feel and stopping power for my car.
    Memphis Blues
    2004 Elantra GT

Even the simple upgrade of R1 concepts Rotors and the Axxis Deluxe brake pads have given my 03EGT a much needed improvement in brake feel. Mind you, I still demand more out of my brakes but I know what I need to do cept I lack the funding currently. Bigger rotors and better front 2 calipers with some tiburon brake booster is the idea so far. It requires one simple adjustment as far as I know for the calipers, simply remove the dust cover lol, beyond that I do believe it's a pretty straight forward caliper swap. ATM, with the simple very affordable brake upgrade from R1 Concepts I can lock up my wheels fairly quickly, still a bit of the mushy pedal but I will need the larger front rotors/calipers to fix that.

+ Reply to Thread