Speedometer is on crack???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speedometer is on crack???

Night time is coming T-Storm has not yet proved knowledgeable T-Storm's Avatar

Default Speedometer is on crack???

I have a 2002 GLS elantra with 105,XXX miles. This hasn't started until a couple weeks ago and i need help. Here is my problem. I am driving down the highway between 70-80mph when i noticed my speedometer drop, nothing big, went down to 60 mph, then jumped right back up to where i was at before. No change in rpm's, no lights, nothing. The engine doesn't wind down or anything. Today while driving home from work on the highway, same speed, now the speedometer drops to 0mph, then back to 80, then to 20, back to 80, then to 0 again and hangs out for about 15-20 seconds, then right back to 80. Am i loosing a connection somewhere? I am having no problems with performance, acceleration or anything else, just my speedometer is going nuts. Anyone hear of anything like this or know what's up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Ninja Super Mod KeWLKaT knows a lot about Elantras KeWLKaT's Avatar

Default Re: Speedometer is on crack???

Probably a problem with the VSS? The one on the wheel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

'02 Elantra GT
    '04 Suzuki Katana 600

Calf...Ankles...Cankles!! evan938 knows a lot about Elantras evan938's Avatar

clean the bay lately? when i used to de-grease, i found after the 2nd or 3rd time for a couple days after, my speedo went dead...always came back...probably ate away any dielectric grease, thus leading to the short out i had months later, which led to blowing ECU fuses left and right

check the speed sensor on the tranny, directly below the TB...wheel speed sensor wouldnt do that...trust me...had the issue with my old xd 3-4x and now with my current xd. all that one will do is keep you from going above 5100 rpms
    local forum post, users mom is an actual meth-head
    In the last convo i had with my Birth Giver. After I confronted her on leaving me for dead 17years prior to pursue a life of drugs and prostitution she seriously said "Rhett, there is nothing wrong with sucking cock for crack god damn it!!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Ok i will check this out, could you give me some insight on where i could find the speed sensor on the tranny or what am i looking for? A picture would be a great help if anyone has one or has a pic and knows where this is, thanks for the replies

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Also, if you've had your cluster out lately, make sure the connections are tight. One time after I had mine out, the speedo was working intermittently (similar to how you described). This was cured by undoing and redoing the harness connections on the back of the gauge cluster. All my other gauges/lights were fine, but the speedo got weird.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Veni, Vidi, Velcro Munky has information that can be trusted Munky has information that can be trusted Munky's Avatar

Located directly above the differential:

(Note: In this picture the transaxle is laying on it's side)

Attached Images

Veni, Vidi, Velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around

evan got it right: i had the same exact problem on my '02 as well

same year....hmmmm... is there a correlation???

anyway, i cleaned the speed sensor on he tranny and repacked it with dielectric grease and it has been fine ever since

although it was cool to go from 0-80 in 2 seconds haha

So, replaced the white plug? I will also rip my dash apart, it is in pieces already. Anyone know the light bulbs go in for the gas/engine temp gauge? I took my dash off once and peeled the light covers off the bulbs to get a difference in color, now they don't want to light up

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

^^^I think if I were you I'd start at the dash connectors. From the sound of it, it could be very likely something was just loose up there.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Alright, thank you all very much for the input. I plan on doing a ton of work on my XD this summer, if anyone lives in the chicago area and would like to help, let me know

+ Reply to Thread