oil filter & synthetic oil -2002 Elantra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oil filter & synthetic oil -2002 Elantra

KWP Services kwpservices has not yet proved knowledgeable

Question oil filter & synthetic oil -2002 Elantra

would appreciate any input on a good quality oil filter and brand of synthetic oil I could buy to take into my mechanic for my next change

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

Default Re: oil filter & synthetic oil -2002 Elantra

Mobil 1 with OEM filter.
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

Poster God CRAZIECRACKER has not yet proved knowledgeable CRAZIECRACKER's Avatar

k&n make a really good oil filter, but i only use mobil 1 oil

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    You said feen. Hah, you really are a crazie cracker.
    Quote Originally Posted by slyderdai View Post
    well damn Jesse look at that expert advice. Well Said!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMs_wht2k2 View Post
    So apparently my wife is a better tech than Derek and Evan.

MECP basic and advanced certified!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

7 psi tunned by poweraxel Matrixloader has picked up a wrench Matrixloader's Avatar

5w30 mobil 1 synthetic with oem filter

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather–who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
    DIY : Paint Bezels and turn signals Black. https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28188

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

i just hit 99000 miles. ive been running a full synthetic since 40000 miles and changing at 3000-3300 miles as per hyundai's warranty requirement. and since im just about out of my power train warranty i switched up to ams oil full synthetic and an ams oil filter. no more oil changes for me untill 1 yr-1/9/09 or 12,000 miles later.

if your about out of warranty, make the switch to what i did. you will save money in the long run.

7 psi tunned by poweraxel Matrixloader has picked up a wrench Matrixloader's Avatar

I would not be so trust worty on going 1 year with out an oil change, mobil 1 is the factory oil for bmw and their intervals are 10 -15k depending on the model, yet i seen what the oil looks like 10k afterwards on a bmw and let me tell you after 10k its very low on oil and looks like sludge.

just keep an eye on your oil level will you, you dont want to kill your engine so soon. our engines are not designed for long 10k+ intervals.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather–who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
    DIY : Paint Bezels and turn signals Black. https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28188

Old timer Robert1955 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by Matrixloader View Post
    I would not be so trust worty on going 1 year with out an oil change, mobil 1 is the factory oil for bmw and their intervals are 10 -15k depending on the model, yet i seen what the oil looks like 10k afterwards on a bmw and let me tell you after 10k its very low on oil and looks like sludge.

just keep an eye on your oil level will you, you dont want to kill your engine so soon. our engines are not designed for long 10k+ intervals.
    Anyone that owns a BMW and lets the oil get so low it starts to turn into sludge should sell the car and buy a bike!!!!!! You should always check the oil level at least at every other fill up at the gas station. I believe almost all European cars have at a MINIMUM a 1yr/10,000 mile OCI. The 2.0L in our cars is just fine with a 7,500 - 10,000 mile oil change interval. I know because that is the interval I used and I had almost 150,000 on my 02 when I traded it in on my Sonata. I used Castrol Syntec 10W-30 for the most part and a mix of OEM/Fram filters. Make sure you use a synthetic oil and an OEM filter at least. Mobil 1, Wix, Amsoil, K&N, and a few others make a fine filter that can also be used. The oils being built today, and a synthetic oil is built not pumped out of the ground , puts the oils of 10 - 20yrs ago to shame.
    Independant Amsoil Dealer ZO# 1552515
    New: 2007 SE Sonata - stock for now
    Old: 2002GLS 5spd, GT wheels, Infinity Reference 6000CS and Polk EX369's, Clear side markers, Debadged, Tibby pedals and sway bar/w PST Bushings, KDM Locking glove box, KDM Ticket holder, Sirius Replay, 147,243miles

EXD Pro Member jalmir knows a lot about Elantras jalmir's Avatar

Again, FRAM oil filter should never be used ...

As for european cars, you're wrong, it's the same interval as the cars we have here.

I wouldn't trust the 1yr interval either, oil have a lifespan in both miles and time ... I wouldn't even let it go to 6 months.
    Two weeks without the internet and Sean is still the biggest piece of crap around.

Quote Originally Posted by jalmir View Post
    As for european cars, you're wrong, it's the same interval as the cars we have here.
    You better check your facts before you tell someone they are wrong. Link comming soon.
    http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-...8&ED=49889&U=0 follow this link. You can lookup any car sold in the UK and go to the running cost link on the car of your choice. There you will find the Service intervals and that will show you the milage intervals. For the UK my 3.3L Sonata has a 1yr/10k service interval. A BMW 3 Series Saloon 325i SE 4dr has Service intervals of 14-16000 miles.

Last year Peugeot doubled its service intervals to 20,000 miles or two years. BMW began offering extended service intervals this year. It offers an average of 15,000 miles service intervals on petrol models and 13,500 miles for diesels.

Citroen raised service intervals from 9,000 miles to 12,000 miles on petrol models and 6,000 to 10,000 miles on diesel models earlier this year by changing to a semi-synthetic oil.

Also this year Toyota raised service intervals to 20,000 miles with the sale of its Yaris series without changing its recommended oil. Toyota plans to roll out 20,000 mile major service intervals on most, if not all, its Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Hummmmmmm..... I guess someone is wrong.
    Last edited by Robert1955; 02-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Old: 2002GLS 5spd, GT wheels, Infinity Reference 6000CS and Polk EX369's, Clear side markers, Debadged, Tibby pedals and sway bar/w PST Bushings, KDM Locking glove box, KDM Ticket holder, Sirius Replay, 147,243miles

EXD Pro Member jalmir knows a lot about Elantras jalmir's Avatar

I don't see anywhere the oil recommendation interval ... it says Service intervals, which could mean anything IMO ... if you're right then I really don't understand it, should we import european oil and oil filter then????
    Last edited by jalmir; 02-09-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Two weeks without the internet and Sean is still the biggest piece of crap around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Mobil 1 with OEM filter.
    werd.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
    "That's because Hyundai Jesus said so. Respect him." - SuperGLS

circuit track whore 2loud2k2xd has not yet proved knowledgeable 2loud2k2xd's Avatar

if my motor blows, then ams oil will step up and cover all expenses. read their warranty, then pipe up about it. i would never post **** with out knowing what im talking about.

and i always check my oil level's about 1x a month.

thanks tho.

Senior Member 2001VE has not yet proved knowledgeable 2001VE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwpservices View Post
    would appreciate any input on a good quality oil filter and brand of synthetic oil I could buy to take into my mechanic for my next change
    COSTCO will install Castrol Syntec and a high quality filter for around $40 , hard to beat.

Full Member dmiller66 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Amsoil.....all the way. The best lubricants on the planet. Beats them all, including Mobil 1. www.amsoil.com

and porsche, land rover, and audi all go 15,000 between oil changes. and all use castroll full synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
    Amsoil.....all the way. The best lubricants on the planet. Beats them all, including Mobil 1. www.amsoil.com
    yup, ams oil in my car, and in my $12,000.00 race bike.
    Last edited by 2loud2k2xd; 02-09-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Pennzoil Platinum (6-8K OCI), Valvoline Synpower (buy one get one at Advance Auto right now, 5-7K OCI), OR Amsoil or Schaeffer's if you want to really lengthen the change interval. OEM filter.

Quote Originally Posted by jalmir View Post
    I don't see anywhere the oil recommendation interval ... it says Service intervals, which could mean anything IMO ... if you're right then I really don't understand it, should we import european oil and oil filter then????
    The service interval is the std oil/filter/routine stuff we are told to do anywhere from 3,750 to 7,500 miles. They use a full synthetic oil to obtain those intervals. The European goverments, and Europeans in general, mandated the longer intervals as a way to conserve oil and reduce the polution caused by the old oil and materials.

Ultimate Post Whore cbogg knows a lot about Elantras cbogg's Avatar

I use Royal Purple 5w30 (Usually found at Pep Boys for 7-8$ a quart) and usually a mobil one oil filter (m1-104 I believe is the number). I always change it between 3000-3500 miles and it still looks to be in great shape when I change it (I could probably go longer as it's pretty much all highway miles but I'm old school about that crap). I found that the mobil one after that time seemed to be more "burnt" looking, and usually had a bit of a "gassy" smell, like it was allowing some blow-by at that point, not with the royal purple. I've tried lucas synthetic 5w-30 but I don't like it as much, i find it comparable to the mobil one but more expensive. I've heard good things about the amsoil products but they can be hard to come by at times (just can't go to the store and buy it, you have to find a local distributor). If I were to use it, I'd go with their 5w30, but I've also know guys that run their "premium" 0w30 in their cars that require 5w30 and like it. I think for the extra money, it's probably not worth it, because even if they say once a year or I think it's 25000 miles for some of their stuff now, I still don't believe that's a good idea. On that, I'd maybe go 5k, or 7k if it's strictly highway, and you live in a moderate climate. My car hasn't had a factory filter on it since it's 2nd oil change, only the mobil one, but I hear the factory filters are pretty decent. The mobil filter runs me about 10 bucks, has a nice o-ring instead of that crappy gasket that some of them have, they're pretty heavy (which usually means there's a thicker case, and more filter media inside) and seem to do a nice job. I used to use k&n, but they're more expensive, and they're no longer a full synthetic media like they used to be. Now they're a paper/synthetic media that I don't see the point in paying extra for anymore. And that nut on the bottom? Unless you're cranking it on hard enough that you're probably damaging the spindle, or feel the need to safety wire it, isn't really a "feature". I'd avoid Castrol Syntec, I know some guys swear by it, and certain manufacturers "recommend" it (ie. someone paid a hefty fee for marketing rights), but Syntec was the first synthetic to go away from a "synthetic" base stock, to a base stock that is basically conventional oil that they run through extra processes. You can find info about this around, there was a lawsuit in the late 90's regarding that. I do believe mobil sued them trying to get them to stop calling it synthetic as it didn't quite go along with how the other manufacturers were doing synthetic at the time. Well, there's my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Cool Re: oil filter & synthetic oil -2002 Elantra

I also use Mobil -1 5W30 Full syn with M1-104 Mobil -1 oil filter. Change oil every 4-5Kmiles.

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

I don't give a damn how long they say you can go without changing ur oil. 5k is the MAX I've ever been without changing my oil and I use mobil1 synthetic. I usually change it at 3k, maybe 3500 if I'm feeling lazy. I'm at 126k and I've yet to have problems.

As far as amsoil being the best, theres plenty that will argue against that. Mobil1 seems to be used alot in race teams, eneos is used all the time over in japan in their race, drift, and DD vehicles. It comes down to perference more then anything.
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

+ Reply to Thread