Radio Knob Replacements ??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio Knob Replacements ??

Default Radio Knob Replacements ??

At the risk of being flamed into oblivion, I come to your forum looking for a little help.

My GF has an 03 Elantra that had no radio knob when she bought it (used) and I've been looking for one with no luck. It seem like I'll just have to go to a dealership and get a stock one, but maybe someone can prove me wrong.

I have searched online, checked through all the vendors/links I found here and can't find anything.

So does anyone know if there are any non-stock radio dials I could look into?

Thanks,
    PassinThru

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

#4 Deviant knows a lot about Elantras Deviant's Avatar

Default Re: Radio Knob Replacements ??

A bit confused, is it the OEM headunit, or is it some aftermarket headunit? If it is the OEM HU then try at the dealership and see if it is a part you can buy, I'm sure it would be cheap.

Sorry, that would be helpful. It's the factory headunit.

Junkyard maybe, or else dealer part dept., I guess.

Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Large Member kylemorg has not yet proved knowledgeable kylemorg's Avatar

Don't worry too much about getting flamed -- that's a legitimate question!

If theres a knurled metal shaft in the hole where the knob was (where it looks like you could slip another knob over it) you could probably grab one from a junkyard -- I think they're just pull-off / press-fit plastic knobs that slide on to the metal shaft.

I believe all of the 2003 stock headunits were the same Hyundai CD player (not the Hyundai-Kenwood one with the flip down face panel), so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

Your other options are:

1. Put a Wanted to Buy (WTB) post in the marketplace section for the stock CD player -- there should still be some of those sitting around gathering dust in people's garages and they may sell one to you for under $25.

2. Put a "Wanted to Buy post in the marketplace for the Hyundai / Kenwood stock CD player from the 04+ Elantra GT. It's a nicer head unit with a bigger color changable display that mounts in the factory location. It plugs into the stock Elantra radio harness if the seller still has the harness that came with it. They may want a little more $ for it, but it would probably sound better, too.
    Last edited by kylemorg; 03-27-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    665 -- Neighbor of the Beast.

Call me J xdforme22 can identify a wrench xdforme22's Avatar

Is this a cassette or cd deck? I have a couple OEM cassette decks I can part with.
    What about finding an aftermarket unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla
    But if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my old motto. Unfortunately that got replaced with: Break it so you can fix it sooner.

It does have the metal post that just has a pull of dial. Not sure how or why someone would take the knob or lose it.

I was just wondering if there were any aftermarket knobs that would add a little personalization.

Ouch on the deer, deviant!

CD unit, but upgrading the deck isn't in the budget atm. I just want to get something b/c it's not exactly attractive w/just the post.

Junkyard or dealer it is, then.

I appreciate the help!
    Last edited by PassinThru; 03-27-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The knobs from the casette deck might work -- there's a slim chance that they used the same size plastic knobs on them. You might want to see if XDforme will pull off one of each from one of his tape decks and send them to you...

Since they're all different sizes on all kinds of units, I don't think even Radio Shack would have exactly the right size.

Search is your friend. j0hnh0lmes has not yet proved knowledgeable j0hnh0lmes's Avatar

OH.....If only 2 days sooner, I just threw away my stocker from keeping it for 3+ years...lol I would have given it to you for just the price of shipping.

I would say your best bet is dealership first...Junkyards usually will pull the deck and sell it seperate. Hopefully the dealership will sell you just the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by slyderdai View Post
    I pledge allegiance to the bob and the united states of elantra. And to the administrator for which it stands one nation under god, with liberty and crooked H's fort all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me J xdforme22 can identify a wrench xdforme22's Avatar

Its not the same knob. When I replaced the OEM cassette with OEM CD in my Dad's elantra, I noticed that they were quite different (b/c the cd mounts the balance and fader with the volume knob).l

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla
    But if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my old motto. Unfortunately that got replaced with: Break it so you can fix it sooner.

I had the same thing when I bought my 02 GLS. The knob to control the bass was missing. I never thought to check the dealer though I just drove around until it bugged me enough to buy an Alpine HU.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro Munky has information that can be trusted Munky has information that can be trusted Munky's Avatar

Veni, Vidi, Velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around

You're likely right on the junkyards selling the deck. Good thinking John.

Nice find on the whole deck Munky. It didn't (and likely wouldn't have) occur to me to check ebay for the whole unit.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

So the dealership price was outrageous! $5.61 lol.

Ordered at Pride Hyundai on Rt 44 in Seekonk, MA - should be shipped to them for pickup in a few days.

Thanks again for the help.

Good deal. That's much cheaper than buying a whole unit to get the one knob.

+ Reply to Thread