Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Autocross, Elantras, and You! or, where the heck do I start?

31K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  red36 
#1 ·
Well, the season is upon us. It’s time for everyone to go out and kill some unsuspecting cones. I would encourage anyone interested in testing their abilities as a driver, and the capabilities of their car, to participate. I promise, after your first run, you'll be hooked. Every car has its class, so you stockers are welcome too. Novices compete only against each other.
The most prominent car club is the SCCA, but there are a lot of other regional clubs too. The SCCA's autocross events are labeled Solos. There are a few types of Solos, but the most basic is Solo II.

I would start with these few links.

Here is the home of the SCCA. You can find a region close to you here.
http://www.scca.org

SCCA Forums......
http://www.sccaforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

The Solo II novice handbook. Want to know what to expect on your first trip out? Read this.
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Want to know what class you'll be in, and who your opponents will be? Check out the classifications.
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/index.html

Stock Elantra XDs are placed in H Stock. In the stock classes you are allowed only a SMALL amount of modifications. If you make any other changes to your car, other then those below, you will be moved to STS, FSP or SM.
Here is an Over view of allowances, starting with H Stock .

- Anything available on the exact model and year of your car as standard or optional equipment, as installed on the factory assembly line (nothing available only dealer-installed is allowed), plus
- Standard OEM identical replacement parts
- Accessories, gauges, appearance, comfort, and convenience items (not replacement driver's seat, though) that basically don't help with performance.
- Added roll bar or roll cage to spec (not required, though)
- Driver harness (no cutting seats to install, though)
- Trailer hitch and/or tow bar mountings
- Any wheel of diameter and width identical to a stock or factory optional wheel, offset within +- 0.25 inch
- Most street legal tires that will fit the mounted wheels and stock bodywork
- Any shock absorber of the same type and mounting as original; no change to standard spring mountings is allowed; suspension geometry may not be altered; gas or hydraulic shocks are permitted
- Any brake linings; pre-1992 cars may use solid/braided metal brake lines.
- Any front anti-roll bar (no change to stock/optional rear anti-roll bar, if present)
- Manufacturer specified ignition settings only
- Any replacement air filter element (or removal of air filter element); no plumbing changes, however
- Engine bored no more than .020"; no balancing or porting/polishing of head
- Replacement of any part of the exhaust system past the catalytic converter (if quiet)
- Any oil filter
- Added clutch scattershield

STS, or Street Touring Street (tires)
As well as all of the above, except for race rubber, you are allowed the following. There are more allowances, but these are the most common.
- Any shocks, struts, and springs, using original attachment points
- Any sway bars
- Any wheels up to 7.5" in width that fit over stock brakes
- Tires up to and including a width of 225, with a treadwear rating of 140 or greater.
- Strut bars/braces as allowed in Street Prepared.
- Exhaust system downstream of catalytic converter(s)
- Short throw shift kits
- Spoilers, body kits, rear wings, etc.
- Pedal kits and other interior cosmetic accessories
- Alternate brakes pads and linings
- Any fully padded and upholstered front seats with reclining seat backs
- Removal of factory trim (rub strips, emblems)
- Alternate steering wheels of any diameter, otherwise meeting Stock rules
- Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors
- Alternate air cleaner enclosures
- No limited slip differentials except factory viscous coupler type units
- Stock brake calipers/drums
- Fenders may not be cut or flared (but specific modifications for tires OK)
- Emission-legal headers
- Emission legal modifications to Engine management system, either electronic or mehanical, but not both.
- Engine and transmission must remain unmodified, including emissions equipment

FSP or F Street Prepared. Stock class mods plus the following
- Any wheel, of any diameter and width may be used. Fenders may be flared.
- LSDs.
- .472 overbore and appropriate pistons may be used.
- Body kitted cars go here.
- Port matching for intake and exhaust is allowed, to an inch from the opening. Replacements are not allowed.

SM, or Street Mod. This is the “open” class where they sky is the limit for modifications. If you have modifications other than those above, chances are you belong here. All modifications allowed in Street Prepared, plus any modification to engine, transmission, suspension and weight are allowed as long as pump fuel is used.

I'm not great at this yet, but if you have any questions, I would gladly share what know.

As I have said before, I extend an open invitation to anyone that wants to try, to come out and run/ride with me. I have posted the schedule for my region, but also race in other regions.

good luck racers.

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
any way to find out the snell rating on a helmet which only specifies its DOT spec? for example, the ones on jphelmet.com?

I emailed the people at jphelmet. don't want to buy if I can't use it. they do meet DOT spec (aka THEY say it's safe) and the snell site makes it seem like the "M-2005" is just a basic motorcycle helmet (which these are). maybe these guys can get their helmets rated.

#28 ·
Snell ratings are different than DOT ratings. Most of the cheapo helmets are cheapo because they don't pass the snell tests but DO pass the DOT tests. Makes you feel good about the DOT test doesn't it?

When I bought my bike/helmet almost 10 years ago, all the people that I knew had told me to ignore anything with a DOT only rating because they weren't worth the box they came in.

Now, since SCCA is a club all about RACING, safety is paramount. So to be safe, they go with the best tests and ratings.

Basically, if it doesn't have a Snell rating, it's not Snell approved. THere is no "conversion chart" to make a DOT rating pass a Snell rating.

#29 ·
no I completely understand. DOT ratings = the mfg says the helmet is safe. DOT only tests helmets randomly and periodically. and their tests aren't even that conclusive.

I'm just saying, since the helmet IS DOT approved, and they are cool looking helmets, maybe they can apply for and pass a Snell test. this way I can feel OK using one for autocross.

#30 ·
I do believe the manufacturer has to bethe one to submit the helmets for testing.

Honestly, just buy the Snell rated helmet and be done. It's gonna cost you 10 times as much money, time and effort only to lose in the end.

#31 ·
:confused: Question :confused: - Since STS allows the use of "emmisions legal" headers; where do we stand using something like Hotshot (or equivalent) ? Everything I've ever seen for our motors removes the front cat. Even if we hook up both fore and aft O2 sensors to keep from getting a CEL, are we OK? not OK?:help:

#32 · (Edited)
I'm wondering about this too. What about a full flow cat with the O2 bung? Or does it only allow for exhaust after the stock cat? And to the guy asking about the non-snell approved helmet.....

Why would you spend money on a helmet that looks cool when you can get one that isn't as cool but might save you from being brain dead. You are inside your car anyway, who's really looking? You should be driving fast enough so that they can't see how cool your helmet is anyway. At least that's what I'm going to be trying to do.

#34 ·
Why would you spend money on a helmet that looks cool when you can get one that isn't as cool but might save you from being brain dead. You are inside your car anyway, who's really looking? You should be driving fast enough so that they can't see how cool your helmet is anyway. At least that's what I'm going to be trying to do.
What about the slow sections??? they could peek into the window and see cool flames on your helmet... hahaha who cares about looks when it gets down to thousandths of a sec... worry about looks for the car show

#33 ·
no emissions equipment may be moved/removed or changed. Eleminating the stock manifold cat automatically puts you into SM. Both cats have to be in place. Lightweight flywheels are also not allowed in STS. Larger brakes are a big nono.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.