I find this article funny in some ways:
The "toxic material" that was spilled was ethanol, otherwise known as ethyl alcohol, AKA the stuff in beer, wine and liquor that gets you drunk.
It wasn't like it was cyanide, ricin, or a chlorinated solvent.
Three was half a million gallons spilled in this incident, though.
I work in a chemical lab and I know that ethanol is considered "toxic" and "hazardous" under certain conditions. However, I don't think the authors of these news stories and your general newspaper reader understands that ethanol is the type of alcohol you drink (as long as it's not denatured).
And before anyone chimes in about this, I DO know that alcohol is toxic to people and animals -- that toxic effect is what makes you feel drunk.