[XD] Amp hook up w/o subs (newbie, bare with me)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp hook up w/o subs (newbie, bare with me)

Default Amp hook up w/o subs (newbie, bare with me)

If I hook up my amp to my headunit, but don't want to install my subs, do I have to connect all the interior speakers to the amp, or will they already work with the headunit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: Amp hook up w/o subs (newbie, bare with me)

why an amp and no subs? you can just leave them connected to the hu but if youre putting an amp in you might as well hook them to the amp... its not gunna do anything unless you hook something up to it.
    Last edited by 04GTon18s; 11-20-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Carpe Noctum i8acobra knows about Elantras i8acobra's Avatar

The amp goes between the head unit and the speakers. If you connect the amp to the head unit and leave the speakers connected to the head unit, the amp does nothing.
    Aaron Britt
    '08 Mustang GT/CS
    '87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (454,000 miles and still counting)
    '06 Suzuki Burgman 650

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

EXD SupaMod Ugzz knows a lot about Elantras Ugzz's Avatar

yeah im not sure what you are asking here. Is it "can i hook up an amp but not plug anything into it".. cause if thats the question, um, i guess you could. but why would you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    Internet Jesus is not pleased with the absense of the chatbox.
    And he stated, "let the people speak, and I shall grant thee speed". Microsoft Sam 11:17

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

Do you mean you have subs, but just don't feel like installing them at the current time? Is the amp for that? Maybe later you are going to put the subs in?

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

It all depends on the type of amp you are running and what you are trying to do. If you have an amp to just run your subs (seems like you are going to install later) connected to your headunit you will not need to connect any of the speakers to it. This is considered a mono or single channel sub. If you are installing it and not hooking the subs up to it I would personally recommend installing a switch on the remote turn on wire so that even when your headunit is on the amp will not be receiving power. You can burn out the amp prematurely if you do this.

If you want to have powered speakers then you need to run all speaker wires to the amp. Whether you have a a 2 or 4 channel amp does not matter but all the amp does is take the signal from the headunit and strengthen it and send it to the speakers.

If you still have questions I can post a few pics of my setup

Quote Originally Posted by Mmuscare View Post
    It all depends on the type of amp you are running and what you are trying to do. If you have an amp to just run your subs (seems like you are going to install later) connected to your headunit you will not need to connect any of the speakers to it. This is considered a mono or single channel sub. If you are installing it and not hooking the subs up to it I would personally recommend installing a switch on the remote turn on wire so that even when your headunit is on the amp will not be receiving power. You can burn out the amp prematurely if you do this.

If you want to have powered speakers then you need to run all speaker wires to the amp. Whether you have a a 2 or 4 channel amp does not matter but all the amp does is take the signal from the headunit and strengthen it and send it to the speakers.

If you still have questions I can post a few pics of my setup
    wait a second. did you mean that say you have a amp and its hooked up to the headunit with rca cables, but there is no subwoofer hooked to it that it can damage the amp? Who told you that? if thats what you mean someones been lying to you.

I hope I read that wrong.

If you have a 4 ch amp. I would take 2 of the channels and power your front speakers. Then with the other 2 bridge them to a woofer. I am not an expert, but I have been installing for 15 years.
    if it isn't broken, fix it till it is

No what im saying is I had my amp hooked up with remote turn on from the headunit but no sub connected to it anymore. I leave the power off from the amp because receiving power is considered "Run Hours" which is how you get the mileage so to speak on the amp. I left mine off to prevent prematurely wearing the amp.

I think what he was saying was can he install the amp and everything but he does not want to install the sub right away. Thats fine. I was just saying leave the amp off as to not have it running when not in use

edit: Rereading his post, it looks like he wants to run a subwoofer off the amp but leave the speakers off the stock headunit. Thats fine, thats just how I had my setup worked great.
    Last edited by Mmuscare; 12-13-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    2005 Elantra GT Hatch Black - Hubert

oh yeah that makes sense. Dude (the newbie) just disconnect the turn on lead until you get some boom

Grip lover waniuszy has not yet proved knowledgeable waniuszy's Avatar

Believe it or not, but installing an amp just for door (component) speakers will make a big quality difference. Headunits internal amp is so low quality, it's not even funny. I have all Alpine audio setup in my 03 XD, and one time I had to pull out my 1000w Sub to allow more space for the trip, and the sound was still excellent. Of course once you try a setup with a Sub, nothing else can compare, but still quality is MUCH better.
    Scenariokiller:
    You need to install the amp in the trunk (prefferably, although new Class D amps like PDX from alpine could be installed under the seats to save on cables). Then you run power cable from your battery to the amp. Thin wire for remote turn on. Then you run a pair (or two for front and rear) of coax cables that run the sound to the amplifier. Finally you run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.
    Sounds difficult, but it will improve quality big times. Also, when you run the cables, you could run AWG 1/0 power cable and 3 Pairs of RCAs to the amp, so that when you get ready to add an amp(s) and subs, it will be super easy.
    Last edited by waniuszy; 12-14-2009 at 04:22 AM.

you can grab the wires for the speakers behind the radio. installer have been doing this since the 80's. turn on wire is just that so not too thin especially if running 2 or more amps. on xd cars there is plenty of room under the seats for amps and they are harder to steal there too. i personelly think its gay to mount the amps on the folding seats. on ebay you can buy 8 gauge amp kits that come with all of it. and just because idiots like me have $200 pro series Monster rca cables doesn't mean you need them. Radio Schack quality is fine. So from a 16 year veteran in installation and custom fab here is the keynotes:
    Mounting the amps under the seat or in the trunk is only a preference.
    RCA cables are heavily over rated for regular users
    Get a good power kit
    And before screwing anything down ALWAYS LOOK UNDER THE CAR TO SEE WHAT THE SCREW GOES INTO!!!

A countless number of installers have drilled into brake lines, gas lines cables, wirelooms and even gas tanks. All professional installers have a story like this whether they admit it or not, it happens

I agree on not installing amps on folding seats, it looks horrible. I don't believe in showing off the amp at all. Really what is there to look at?

I would have to disagree with installing it under the seat though. Especially if you have kids. You never know what is going to be shoved under there damaging your amp. I don't let anyone ride in my backseat, but sometimes I have some loose tools in the floorboard.

I installed my sub amp where the spare goes. Plenty of room in there for any "practical" system anyone will be putting into their Elantra for daily use.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by smileymattj View Post
    I agree on not installing amps on folding seats, it looks horrible. I don't believe in showing off the amp at all. Really what is there to look at?

I would have to disagree with installing it under the seat though. Especially if you have kids. You never know what is going to be shoved under there damaging your amp. I don't let anyone ride in my backseat, but sometimes I have some loose tools in the floorboard.

I installed my sub amp where the spare goes. Plenty of room in there for any "practical" system anyone will be putting into their Elantra for daily use.
    thats a good point, junior tosses his spoon, it lands on the floor, works its way to the power connections, maybe the fuse doesn't pop. Now your driving with a major distraction. I almost never put hot glue over amp power leads. its never been a problem on any installs but that isn't to say it won't ever be. cars are a hostile place for electronics

i don't have kids. I quote Nicholas Cage from The Rock "I think bringing a child into this world is an act of cruelty"
    Last edited by evilcalvin; 12-14-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

AWG 1/0 kits are rated at like 150Amp or something. If you will ever run 1000W+ system, that is really recommended size to do. It's always better to have a power cable to thick then have it too thin. Especially if you run the power cable inside where it can't dissipate the heat being under the carpet.
    I use two pairs of Monster 1000 series RCAs and two dedicated Monster sub rca's to the trunk. My whole interior is Dynamated. Whole floor, roof, doors inside and outside panels, whole trunk. I didn't cheap out nowhere. But it pays off.

Scary Super Mod songee623 has picked up a wrench songee623's Avatar

^ do you have pics of all your Dynamated stuff?

I took some pictures during install. I will look for them, but I'm at work right now. I took the front seats, rear couch, carpet, headliner and all trim pieces on pillars out. It was a lot of work. If you decide to do it, make sure you got a dealer nearby that you can buy trim cips from. Some of them are not designed to be remove and you will break a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by waniuszy View Post
    AWG 1/0 kits are rated at like 150Amp or something. If you will ever run 1000W+ system, that is really recommended size to do. It's always better to have a power cable to thick then have it too thin. Especially if you run the power cable inside where it can't dissipate the heat being under the carpet.
    I use two pairs of Monster 1000 series RCAs and two dedicated Monster sub rca's to the trunk. My whole interior is Dynamated. Whole floor, roof, doors inside and outside panels, whole trunk. I didn't cheap out nowhere. But it pays off.
    unless your competing in spl there is almost no reason to use 1/o gauge wire. im not just saying it because i never have in my cars. i did in the bimmer on my site, but that was because the orion 2500d was 2500 watts just on that amp alone. 1000 watts is not a reason for 1/0 gauge wire. 4 gauge is plenty, besides if you have ever installed it, its a drag to install a wire almost as thick as a quarter. Im not telling anyone what to do, im just telling the facts and not the wire companies (monster, stinger, xos, jl) slogans. they want you to buy the more expensive stuff. Also if you wanna save money on wire Fu*k the amp kits, buy welding wire. Diymobileaudio forums has a whole thread on this. pennies on the dollar. Sure i have 4 gauge monster in my car, i got it for $.50 cents a foot. I also have the monster car audio pro 4 channel rca cables, i won them in a monster contest along with my distribution block.
    Last edited by evilcalvin; 12-15-2009 at 01:35 AM.

I agree anything around 1000w for daily use, there is no need to use 0 or 1 gauge. 4 gauge is more than enough. I even ran my MTX 81000d on 8 gauge for a couple of mins before I switched to 4.

I used 4 because it was about the same size of the O.D. of factory positive cable, anything bigger would be an eye sore in the engine bay.

If you are worried about the amp not getting enough power, put a battery or cap next to it.
    Last edited by smileymattj; 12-15-2009 at 06:31 AM.

smileymattj's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smileymattj View Post
    I agree anything around 1000w for daily use, there is no need to use 0 or 1 gauge. 4 gauge is more than enough. I even ran my MTX 81000d on 8 gauge for a couple of mins before I switched to 4.

I used 4 because it was about the same size of the O.D. of factory positive cable, anything bigger would be an eye sore in the engine bay.

If you are worried about the amp not getting enough power, put a battery or cap next to it.
    thats what i did. one battery where it belongs under the hood, a stablizing 1 farad cap for the main electrical system and radio (its so the lights don't dim and it helps extend the life of the alternator and electrical components) and a monster battery next to the amps in the back. if you decide to add a battery for the amps instead of a bandaid (capacitor) consider brands that are made specifically for this purpose; shuriken, kinetic, svr and stinger. Optima isn't a car audio battery, its a marketing plan, real car audio battery are sealed, small, usually gell-cells, have a fast discharge rate and recharge fast as well. regular batteries like: diehard, optima, duralast and interstate to name a few are broadswords of electrical power. They are slow but strong and they are engineered to last longer and store current longer. Also car audio batteries, c.a.b. typically cost less in terms of caps and deliver more. Example: my shuriken 950 cca c.a.b. is equal to about 100 1 farad caps in relation to current storage and discharge rate. Big difference is even if i had only 50 1 farad caps it would be a weight on the electrical system for recharge. thats why in True spl competition systems they never ever use caps. once they discharge they suck up alot of the power from the alternator and the bass output goes down. a little trick i learned when i used to compete, even in sound q they have you do a spl test but with their musical choice. I believe i had to play the song from the movie flashdance. if you gotta do a spl burp disconnect the cap or use alot of them. or the real solution is get a specialized battery for the job. caps are bandaids, if you don't believe me check the audio forums.

Where's My Boomstick? Tommy knows a lot about Elantras Tommy's Avatar

^/love

Been saying that as long as Ive been on this forum, hardly anyone listens.

Never understood why people think adding more electrical draw to a system will solve electrical issues...

Kick! Punch! Itís all in the mind
    If you wanna test me, Iím sure youíll find
    The things Iíll teach ya is sure to beat ya
    But nevertheless youíll get a lesson from teacher

+ Reply to Thread