[XD] Dome Light, Radio, Clock, Fuel Gauge, Coolant Temp, Power Locks. DONT WORK
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dome Light, Radio, Clock, Fuel Gauge, Coolant Temp, Power Locks. DONT WORK

Junior Member Grayishhues has not yet proved knowledgeable Grayishhues's Avatar

Default Dome Light, Radio, Clock, Fuel Gauge, Coolant Temp, Power Locks. DONT WORK

Ok, I had a tail light go out the other day, no big deal. Replaced the bulb. After replacing the bulb my dome light, clock etc. were not functioning. Checked all interior fuses, replaced fuse #25 Room/LP. Problem has not been resolved. What's next? Any ideas?

The vehicle in question is an 03 Elantra. Thanks
    03 GT Hatch
    Accord CAI
    Custom Painted Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    So...im really thinking that something's about to go down, this 5ft tall clown with a heavy eastern European accent is about to try to mug me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: Dome Light, Radio, Clock, Fuel Gauge, Coolant Temp, Power Locks. DONT WORK

Did you check that fuse and see if it blew again? The only time I had that issue, replacing that fuse fixed it. However, if you have a short somewhere, the fuse will repeatedly blow over and over again.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Member #23 in the weeds. Tricked has picked up a wrench Tricked's Avatar

Default Re: Dome Light, Radio, Clock, Fuel Gauge, Coolant Temp, Power Locks. DONT WORK

May sound kinda weird, but check your dimmer. I had an issue with all the lights going out and found out it was the result of a malfunctioning dimmer switch. I replaced it and was good to go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

I'll check the dimmer, but yes I have checked the fuse and it doesn't appear to be blown. The fuse wasn't visibly blown to begin with, but i swapped it out for good measure.
    03 GT Hatch
    Accord CAI
    Custom Painted Interior

So...im really thinking that something's about to go down, this 5ft tall clown with a heavy eastern European accent is about to try to mug me.

EXD Pro Member MTVSlick knows about Elantras

check the wire harness under your rad! I had mystery stuff like that and I left it amd could have lost my car weeks later, the main engine harness goes under your rad and the rad mount rubs through the haness and melts wires together causing crap like that. not trying to scare you but worth the check for sure. I have a 03 hatch GT as well.

Mark,

Player to be named later Doohickie has picked up a wrench Doohickie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayishhues View Post
    I'll check the dimmer, but yes I have checked the fuse and it doesn't appear to be blown. The fuse wasn't visibly blown to begin with, but i swapped it out for good measure.
    Did you check continuity with a voltmeter? It's the only way to know for sure.
    Make an ELANTRAXD decal the next mod to your Elantra. Become a Pro Member today.

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

Is your taillight working now?

Check fuses:
    double-triple check 25

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

The taillight is working properly, i will check the aforementioned fuses-again. Will have to grab my multimeter from work tomorrow so that I can check the continuity.
    03 GT Hatch
    Accord CAI
    Custom Painted Interior

Anything else not working? Turn signals? Wipers? Defroster? Alarm?

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Full Member dmiller66 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Maybe they all failed at the same time?

lol, na too much broken to be a coincidence that it all went bad at the same time. There is a bad power source somewhere that supplies these components.

I forgot, check fuse 9 too.

Speedometer and RPM still work?

smileymattj's Garage

check your harness under the rad, lol These are the same items I had issues with when my harness fried.

Mark,

ok, still having problems. Checked the harness under the radiator. I dont see any issues. Rechecked the fuses, still good. Are all of these tapped into the etacs? A mechanic friend of mine suggested the problem may lie in the alarm system. Is there any way to have someone run a diagnostic on the electrical system?
    03 GT Hatch
    Accord CAI
    Custom Painted Interior

That was my thought, that's why I asked you if anything else was not working?

Everything that goes through the ETACS:
    Ignition Keyhole illumination
    Door Chime
    Power Windows
    Alarm
    Defroster
    Seat Belt light
    Hazard lights
    Dome Light
    Door Locks
    Wipers
    Washer

The only thing that is inconsistent is (Doesn't use the ETACS):
    Radio
    Clock
    Fuel Gauge
    Coolant Gauge

However the ETACS uses fuses:

2 - instrument cluster
    24 - AC controls, mirrors
    25 - instrument cluster, audio, clock

So. What out of everything I mentioned works and doesn't work?

Are you getting power to fuse 25? Is there Power coming out of Fuse 25?

Fuse 25 is the most common factor in everything that you have listed in your thread title of things not working.
    Last edited by smileymattj; 02-11-2010 at 06:51 PM.

smileymattj's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grayishhues View Post
    ok, still having problems. Checked the harness under the radiator. I dont see any issues. Rechecked the fuses, still good. Are all of these tapped into the etacs? A mechanic friend of mine suggested the problem may lie in the alarm system. Is there any way to have someone run a diagnostic on the electrical system?
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by smileymattj View Post
    That was my thought, that's why I asked you if anything else was not working?

Everything that goes through the ETACS:
    Ignition Keyhole illumination
    Door Chime
    Power Windows
    Alarm
    Defroster
    Seat Belt light
    Hazard lights
    Dome Light
    Door Locks
    Wipers
    Washer

The only thing that is inconsistent is (Doesn't use the ETACS):
    Radio
    Clock
    Fuel Gauge
    Coolant Gauge

However the ETACS uses fuses:

2 - instrument cluster
    24 - AC controls, mirrors
    25 - instrument cluster, audio, clock

So. What out of everything I mentioned works and doesn't work?

Are you getting power to fuse 25? Is there Power coming out of Fuse 25?

Fuse 25 is the most common factor in everything that you have listed in your thread title of things not working.
    lol he beat me too it.

Mark,
    Last edited by MTVSlick; 02-11-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Just got out of the field and still haven't figured this out. My gut is telling me it must be something related to the etacs. What should my next step be? Is there an electrical system test that can be done? If i take it to hyundai for a diagnostic will that give me any clues? If it is the etacs, how much would that cost to replace? Thanks for all your help.
    03 GT Hatch
    Accord CAI
    Custom Painted Interior

If the ETACS is bad, it's not going to be just the ETACS by itself because you have a few things not working that don't go through the ETACS. There is always the possibility that multiple things could be wrong.

If you haven't found it yet and you're out of ideas, it would be best to see what the dealer can find.

smileymattj's Garage

My turn signals stopped working today, so I checked every fuse (not a bright thing to do). Must have just been loose because they now work, but now I am having exactly the same issues. The temp & fuel gauge not working is freaking me out. Also, the dome light, clock, and radio are not working.

What did you find the problem to be???

Newbie Munky_350 has not yet proved knowledgeable

I just bought a 2003 Elantra GT Sedan with the SAME EXACT Issues..

No Dome Light, No Radio, No Clock, No Electric Door Locks, And My Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge are out as well.

Would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to hear that someone had figured out a fix to this problem. Please. I love this car, and would hate to have to sell it, and have seemed to check everything.

The only information I can give to shed some light on the subject is that my fuse between the alternator/Batt was blown, and I replaced it.. But none of this has worked since the day I bought it, and since that was blown it leads me to believe that someone might have at one time crossed the lines when trying to jump start it to blow that fuse. All other fuses are good.

Any help Please?????????????????????? Thanks.

Newbie Munky_350 has not yet proved knowledgeable

* * * FIXED! * * *

It is the "Room/LP" Fuse in the Interior Fuse Compartment behind the Little Coin Tray to the left of the Steering Wheel.

Should be a 15A Blue fuse. Whether it looks Blown or Not, Replace it with a new one (Even one of the spares in your fuse box) and ALL of that stuff will start working again immediately, including the Temp Gauge, Gas Gauge, Interior Lights, Door Locks, Clock, Radio...

When someone accidentally jump-starts the car with the Red/Positive & Black/Negative on the wrong poles, it will blow the Alternator fuse (Marked "BATT" in the corner of the fuse box under the hood) making the car seem like it has a Bad Alternator and it also blows the 15A "Room/LP" Fuse which cuts off all the aforementioned stuff's power (Temp Gauge, Gas Gauge, Interior Lights, Door Locks, Interior Clock, Radio)

Figured if anyone dead-ends here at this forum with the same problem, this will put a smile on their face.. and it is a very simple fix.

+ Reply to Thread