[HD] Annoying rear suspension squeak!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Annoying rear suspension squeak!

Newbie Elantra07 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Annoying rear suspension squeak!

Hi all, I have got a 2007 Elantra and in the past week or so, it has developed a very annoying squeak in the rear driver side corner. It squeaks when riding in it and it also squeaks when pushing on the car, up and down.
    I have crawled under the vehicle and everything seems to be in place, nothing broke or fell off so I am suspecting bushings.

I am just not sure which one, is there specific once that will squeak after 30-50k miles? Can that be caused by the spring??? Do I need to replace the bushing, or can I just take it off, clean it, lube it and replace it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: Annoying rear suspension squeak!

The squeak likely is from 2 things; the stamped steel upper control arms and the bushings; which are too small to begin with. The upper control arms can bend easy and cause the bushings to warp, which causes the squeak, and the bushings themselves are not wide enough to keep the suspension from making any noises, espeacially when loaded.

I replaced my upper control arms on the HD I had with a set of control arms I found on SPCperformance.com, an aftermarket suspension company. Back in 2007, there was no solution to the problem. I posted a thread here about it at length and installed an aftermarket adjustable arm that not only fit, but was a prototype of the arms that are now available commercially that solves your problem as well as an alignment problem, which I also had.

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR...d2=67410&cmd3=

^^ Arms that are my design.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

Newbie Elantra07 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Thank you for the quick reply! Would I be able to tell if the control arms are bent if I were to take them off? I just want to zero in on the problem before I purchase any parts.

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Insanities teller LeShadow has picked up a wrench LeShadow's Avatar

I know that there are issues with a bushing on 2009 HDs... don't know if u couls have the same problem. Go see the dealer with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeShadow View Post
    I know that there are issues with a bushing on 2009 HDs... don't know if u couls have the same problem. Go see the dealer with that.
    The bushing on the upper control arms are 1/2 the width of the width of the bushing insert. That itself creates a problem because the bushing is allowed to twist inside the insert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elantra07 View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply! Would I be able to tell if the control arms are bent if I were to take them off? I just want to zero in on the problem before I purchase any parts.

Thanks!
    The only way to tell if they are bent is to measure them against a new part. When I measured my stock upper control arms for designing the setup, the factory ones were 15 3/8 inches long from the center of the bolt hole on each end. When I installed the new adjustable arms and measured the distance, it was 15 5/8 after it was aligned to spec. However cars can be slightly different and proper length can differ slightly from car to car.

I recommend getting the part I suggest and having the *** end realigned to spec. That way, you will solve the 2 issues. The new bushing is the full width of the insert, is much stiffer than stock, the arm will not bend, and the arm has the ability to be adjusted so alignment is possible; whereas the stock arm has no adjustment possible.

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"John Betjeman

+ Reply to Thread