Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Considering an Elantra? Check this out!

26K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  jdmeaux 
#1 · (Edited)
If you aren't an Elantra owner and you are considering buying one feel free to join our community and ask owners any questions you might have about the wonderful compact car from Hyundai.

Then once you buy the Elantra you'll already be here to discuss maintenance, modifications, and anything else Elantra related.

Note: Long time members please be as helpful as possible in regards to questions that might have been previously asked.

#7 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new at the forum, and I'm in the process of purchasing an used Elantra. I'm choosing between two 2004 (84K and 100K, both automatic) and a 2005 with 60K and manual transmission. Do you guys have any advices, such as things to look at before buying it? Are there any common problems with these cars? Would you guys recommend an Elantra (stupid question)?

I read here that rust is a common problem. I'll check that before buying it. I've also read about clutch failure. Is it common only with manual transmission? How expensive to replace it?
How long (mile wise) does the engine lasts?

Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
How long (mile wise) does the engine lasts?
The engine will easily tip 200k if you don't totally neglect it.

I'd try to get as much info about the maintenance as I could. Like if you get one of the automatics make sure it has had at least a couple of drain and fills, and check to see if the timing belt has been done...things like that.

They're great cars that I've recommended to friends.

#8 ·
Welcome to EXD dididavis.

Many people here will suggest buying the manual simply because they are manual fans. But also because there's less mileage on it. Do you have the service history of the vehicles? Buying one of the 2004s could be a better deal if the timing belt/water pump service is already done.

#9 ·
Timing belt is something to check to make sure all of them had done. This is required at 60K, and is not a cheap fix (several hundred). Some people trade-in at 60K to avoid this. Rust is usually only a problem for our neighbors to the north, who live in a salt-plagued universe for 8 months out of the year (and live in igloos). My car was 8 years old when I sold it, and only had the smallest spec of rust from where I got dinged about 1 year after owning it. The rust spot never grew, was just there, smaller than a dime.

#11 ·
For a choice, the Elantra's are a good buy. Have an example that has lasted 10 years and 82,000 miles and is absolutely bulletproof, despite some of my occasional shenanigans.

Just make sure there's a good service record (always a must have) and the 60K timing belt service has been done (if not, probably not a good idea, because that can loosen up) when buying used.

As for new, I've test drove one, very nice! You won't go wrong in an Elantra (unless past owners have neglected maintenance...)!

#12 ·
Love this car. Have a 2006 Elantra "VE" as their known here and the only servicing has been on routine things. VERY important to heed the advice on the timing belt change though. I had mine replaced at 100000 kms (60000mi.) and it was near the breaking point. The only thing to watch for other than that is worn control arm bushings. Well I did replace a hose clamp but that could go on any car.

#13 ·
Alright everyone I am back, not that I did a whole lot when I was here before. Short story from back in '08, brought an '06 GLS loved it, had it for about 6 months, lost my job, tried to keep it but couldn't make the payments so it went away. Now I've got a second chance at getting one of the best cars I've ever had, just a little older. My price range puts in around the '00-'03 models, hopefully I'll be able make it happen within the next month or so. I know from reading on here some of the usual things to look for but one thing I'm curious about is the transmissions on the early XD's. My 06 was stick, which I prefer but with an older model what should I be concerned with? What are the repair costs with a manual vs an auto? Thanks and it's great to be back on here.

#14 ·
My auto in my 05' has held up nicely through 160k miles and a lot of power braking.

Not too sure about the manual tranny for the elantra, but most people seem to be happy with them because i have not heard of anyone's failing.

#17 · (Edited)
My wife has a 05 GLS manual, and she loves it. Besides some truck driving over the drivers side hood, and battery failure, the car has been a charmer. With 68K miles on it (she usually only goes back and forth to work), it's just getting broke in. We've made a trip from Louisiana to West Virginia and Ohio just about every year now with it.

Now the Air Bag Light come on a couple of months ago, and the steelership tried to sell me 2 new seats at $450 each to turn the light off. I still think this should be a warranty problem with the number of Air Bag Warnings I've read about. (The air bags won't inflate of you have an accident.) Waiting to hear what they have to say.

#21 ·
An update of the wife's 2005 Elantra GLS. About a week after I posted the previous post, the clutch started slipping bad. I had a Specter Level 2 clutch assembly installed. And at 73K miles I had the timing belt/water pump/pulleys replaced as a precaution. (The mechanic was surprised how clean the coolant was and how clean the engine was internally.)

Now we have about 83500 Miles on it, and it still performs as nicely as it did the day we bought it. I still drive it like I stole it, with revs up to 5000 RPMs. (Second gear will get me to 50 MPH.) Since I do all the maintenance on it, it will last a lot longer than 20 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.