Just Bought New Elantra Blue 2010....steering question....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought New Elantra Blue 2010....steering question....

Newbie X.Oden has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Just Bought New Elantra Blue 2010....steering question....

When I test drove this puppy, it was incredible driving around winding streets. Keep in mind, I had returned a Accent 2010 after driving it for 1 day and not being happy with it. The dealer allowed me to return the Accent and walk away from the entire deal. I chose to test an Accent and liked the Accent Blue. It had a nice kick and was very comfortable.

After signing the paperwork however, I took the car on the freeway and that's when I found out that at speeds around 45-80, the car tends to sway from side to side. I have to fight this movement slightly by placing a controlling grip on my steering wheel as opposed to holding the steering wheel lightly like I normally do with my other cars.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing this? I don't know any other way to describe it other than if you've ever driven a large van and a big eighteen wheeler drives by and it moves the van such that you have to control it from moving from side to side or when a strong wind blows and the car moves slightly sideways and you have to resist the move with the steering wheel, it feels like this.

Its not an alignment issue, an alignment is when the car will move to one extreme or another. This is a very slight movement, but I can never let go of the wheel otherwise the car moves where it wants to go on either side of the lane....

Anyone have this "floaty" experience?

Just trying to find out if its my car or simply a feature of all hyundais. If it wasn't for this sway, the car is perfect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

Default Re: Just Bought New Elantra Blue 2010....steering question....

Those Elantra Blue models have different tires that lend to better fuel economy. I wonder if that could be the problem?

PS, welcome to EXD!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Not sure. I thought all Elantra's come with the same tires. I think the term for the movement of the car is called a waddle.

It shifts slightly from left to right and right to left and you have to constantly adjust the steering wheel every so often to drive straight. Its very very slight, but slightly annoying.

Other than that, the power on the car is great, smooth and actually feels good.

My brother test drove it and he said he didn't feel anything. He said its probably because I'm used to driving a heavy v6 car with a different type of power steering. He also said because the car only has 11 miles on it, its probably still tight and not yet broken in, but who knows. I'm going to give it some time and see if the issue goes away. I called the dealer and the sales guy said its probably psychological since I'm moving away from a bigger V-6...but even so, the accent didn't waddle, the Elantra waddles slightly....in other words, if I let go of the steering wheel, it should coast straight with good alignment and if the road is tilted one way, of course the car is going to lean one way or another but not be super sensitive to lean at the slightest road uneveness.....kinda feels like I'm floating sometimes...

Anyway, I chose the Elantra over the base model corolla with manual shift, manual windows and manual mirrors.....I simply couldn't resist the power nor the goodies that came with the Elantra...and I know everyone says its a bland looking car, but I really think the 2010 Blue is a sharp looking vehicle in my book.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Qyn has information that can be trustedQyn has information that can be trusted Qyn's Avatar

Have you tried different highways? May just be the road surface. I know some highways around here are a different compound and it just doesn't seem to like my tires. What tires are on that thing anyway? Size and brand. Maybe get the dealer to road force balance them. Make sure the tire pressure is right, and that the lugs are properly tightened.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMs_wht2k2 View Post
    I once thought I was wrong. It turned out I was only mistaken. Hasn't happened since.
    Like what I'm saying? Use the Rep system and let me know! You can also follow my Twitter.

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

I thought for sure there was different tires, I thought I remembered reading that in the press release, but I just went back and looked through it again and there is no mention of it. Looking at the Accent press release I see that the Accent Blue has "lower-rolling-resistance silica tires." I wonder if the Elantra Blue has the same thing and it's just not mentioned for whatever reason. Let us know what kind and size you have.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

I just visited the Hyundai dealership where I originally bought my accent, returned it and they allowed me to buy this Elantra Blue. I found out that there is a slight difference in the Blue (Manual) vs GLS Automatic. The difference is the front end of the automatic is heavier by 100 lbs. Driving the car made a difference in the waddle effect.

Pending to see if the dealer will allow me to return yet a third time.....they're sick of me....

Wondering if I should buy a Touring instead....

EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD! Gman knows about Elantras Gman's Avatar

it has to do with the steering system in the HD - I have an XD and HD and when I drive one after the other the diff is night and day. The HD "drifts" all over the lane and you have to constantly correct it.

Senior Douche BobMs_wht2k2 knows a lot about Elantras BobMs_wht2k2's Avatar

sO... do you actually drive a vehicle before you purchase it?

You best be trollin foo UrbanerMezei knows a lot about Elantras UrbanerMezei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    it has to do with the steering system in the HD - I have an XD and HD and when I drive one after the other the diff is night and day. The HD "drifts" all over the lane and you have to constantly correct it.
    Mine does the same, it's all over the place.

What do you mean HD? and XD? I only saw Elantra Blue's GLS and SE's...

Super Moderator Qyn has information that can be trustedQyn has information that can be trusted Qyn's Avatar

HD, XD, etc. are chassis codes. It's how we differentiate models here on ElantraXD. XD refers to the previous (2001-2006) body style. 2004-2006 are actually XD2s, as there was a mild refresh. The HD is the current model (2007-2010). The 2011+ are referred to as MDs. Hope this clears things up!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMs_wht2k2 View Post
    I once thought I was wrong. It turned out I was only mistaken. Hasn't happened since.
    Like what I'm saying? Use the Rep system and let me know! You can also follow my Twitter.

Yes Qyn, thank you. Well, I ended up giving the Elantra Blue back to the dealership. I tell you, the Hyundai Dealership I went to in Houston (Sterling McCall Hyundai), even though I didn't buy and was allowed to give back the car, they were extremely nice to me. UNHEARD OF!! Peter was my salesperson......if you're ever in town, he's the guy to visit. I did feel bad for him because he spent 4 days with me, so before I walked away from the deal, I went out and picked up a little something from the ATM to give him for his patience and good spirit. The GM was extremely patient as well. Overall the service from the sales team and service advisors was like nothing I had experienced in the past, and this is from someone who's worked at auto dealers for 13 years in the past.

But I had to give the car back, the automatic was tolerable, but I would have still had that steering thing in the back of my mind, and when you drive a car, it should be an after thought.

But what I did find and I really liked but could not afford was the Elantra Touring (Automatic - I didn't try the stick). It was extremely cool. It was definitely day and night from the Elantra GLS that I test drove. The GLS was stickered a bit more, but since the Touring was a 2011, it didn't come with as many rebates. The feel of the steering on the touring was fantastic. The gear shift was smooth when I hit the gas, the Elantra GLS reved up and bucked a bit when I hit the gas too fast, but not the Touring. It was a completely different car even though it has the same engine.

Quite amazing actually. When they drop the prices of the Touring next year or when more incentives come out, I'll definitely be ready to get it....
    Last edited by X.Oden; 10-14-2010 at 10:20 PM.

This is what Hyundai said about the 2011 Touring steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyundai Press Release
    AGILE STEERING, SUSPENSION AND BRAKING

The Hyundai Elantra Touring offers a dynamic driving experience. A MacPherson strut front suspension and multi-link rear suspension have been fitted to perfectly complement the body structure’s high rigidity. Ventilated 11.8-inch front and solid 10.3-inch rear discs with ABS and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) provide excellent stopping power with added handling control.

Elantra Touring delivers high performance steering and adds unique springs, front and rear stabilizer bars and dampers. Elantra Touring features a 24 percent stiffer front spring rate, a 39 percent stiffer rear spring rate, a larger front stabilizer bar (24 mm) and larger rear stabilizer bar (21mm) than the 2010 Elantra sedan. The 17-inch alloy wheels, with ultra-low profile tires, add visual impact and extra grip to the Elantra Touring’s sporty dynamics.

Elantra Touring’s steering character is another key driver of its sporty driving nature. Hyundai chassis engineers focused on delivering an agile feel, with direct responses to driver inputs. That spirit translates to a fun-to-drive character in everyday driving situations. And all drivers will appreciate Elantra Touring’s nimble turning diameter – at 34.2 feet it is better than Volkswagen Golf’s 35.7 feet and Toyota Matrix’s 36.0 feet.
    This is what Hyundai said about the 2010 GLS/SE steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyundai Press Release
    SUSPENSION AND STEERING

Elantra delivers a comfortable ride and responsive handling, thanks to a front MacPherson strut suspension with coil springs and gas shock absorbers, and a multi-link independent suspension with twin-tube gas shock absorbers in the rear. A 23.0 mm diameter front stabilizer bar and 17.0 mm rear stabilizer bar help reduce body roll when cornering. The SE-tuned suspension features 18 percent stiffer front spring rate, 24 percent stiffer rear spring rate and unique shock valving. The SE suspension also has a 24.0 mm diameter front stabilizer bar and 20.0 mm rear stabilizer bar for even better cornering. To enhance stopping power, the front and rear brakes are generously sized at 10.8 inches (275 mm) for the front and 10.3 inches (262 mm) for the rear.

Stiffer body construction allows Hyundai chassis engineers to tune the suspension components for precise steering and handling together with a well-controlled, yet comfortable ride. Additionally, a rigid body structure and the vehicle’s optimized door sealing strategy contribute to reduce road noise (two decibels below a comparably equipped Honda Civic -- based on internal testing).

Advanced, electric motor-driven, engine-speed-sensing rack-and-pinion power steering offers many benefits, including lighter weight and reduced engine drag for higher fuel economy, while delivering a more precise steering feel. The Elantra steering system also offers excellent parking and turning maneuverability. At 33.9 feet, Elantra’s turning diameter is better than Civic’s 34.8 feet, Corolla’s 36.3 feet, and Mazda3 sedan’s 34.2 feet. The SE’s steering is tuned for even quicker response and feel.
    Whatever you decide, I'd suggest driving the car for a long time before purchasing. Perhaps even find a rental that you can spend the weekend with. That way you won't be surprised with the outcome.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

On the subject of test drives, I like to take the vehicle not only on the road, but also into some crowded parking lots. Go to a mall or supermarket and see how it is to get in and out of parking spaces. I've found some horrible turning radiuses (even worse than my pickup -ha) and blind spots that I never experienced on the test road by doing that.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Great suggestions! Thanks again. I like the idea of rental. I think that's what I'll do the next time I'm ready to consider buying. The test drives simply don't do enough to let you know how the vehicle truly performs under all driving conditions.

My 06 Elantra is a bear sometimes in a crosswind. It'll drift side to side quite a bit depending on the strength of the wind. The gustier it is, the more difficult it becomes.

EXD SupaMod Ugzz knows a lot about Elantras Ugzz's Avatar

^i notice it on mine as well, but only in extreme situations. like if i'm on a bridge and its really windy.
    but i don't know that i can blame that entirely on the elantra, my sable had it pretty bad too, and to some extent, if its really windy out, im pretty sure youll feel it in just about anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    Internet Jesus is not pleased with the absense of the chatbox.
    And he stated, "let the people speak, and I shall grant thee speed". Microsoft Sam 11:17

Noob (play gunbound?) jayupark can identify a wrench

It's the tires, 90% sure. I took my 2009 Sonata to the dealer asking about the same problem you have. I know the parts and service manager (great guy who knows alot about cars), he told me it was the tires, after test driving the car. The tires on my car have good tread, but are a bit bulgy and quite cheap no-name tires.

low noise, lower rolling friction tires = less grip and floatiness at high speeds. Sux, but you should get some better, grippier tires.

I'm investing in some new rims and sticky Hankooks.
    Memphis Blues
    2004 Elantra GT

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    i notice it on mine as well, but only in extreme situations. like if i'm on a bridge and its really windy.
    but i don't know that i can blame that entirely on the elantra, my sable had it pretty bad too, and to some extent, if its really windy out, im pretty sure youll feel it in just about anything"
    I don't think that's true. In my wife's 2010 Camry, you don't feel any wind even during strong wind, and in my old 98 626, it doesn't budge, you can let go of the steering wheel and it'll go forever straight on the freeway......no sway. I got that feel from the Elantra Touring which I really like. The Touring is a completely different car though its the same engine. Next year it should go down quite a bit.

---------- Post added 10-15-2010 at 06:48 PM ----------

You might be on target. I failed to mention, on the Touring, they had 17" Alloys...smooth as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jayupark View Post
    It's the tires, 90% sure. I took my 2009 Sonata to the dealer asking about the same problem you have. I know the parts and service manager (great guy who knows alot about cars), he told me it was the tires, after test driving the car. The tires on my car have good tread, but are a bit bulgy and quite cheap no-name tires.

low noise, lower rolling friction tires = less grip and floatiness at high speeds. Sux, but you should get some better, grippier tires.

---------- Post added 10-15-2010 at 06:50 PM ----------

Say, I'm interested to know after your tire change how the ride is...please keep us updated...thanks. If all it takes are 17" rims, I may go back and buy it. Monthly was dirt cheap at $260 for all the trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by jayupark View Post

Last edited by X.Oden; 10-15-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Senior Douche BobMs_wht2k2 knows a lot about Elantras BobMs_wht2k2's Avatar

2010 Camry also weighs about 700 lbs more than the Elantra. It's longer and wider as well. Longer wheelbase = more stable in wind and at higherspeeds. Wider affects it in the same manner. Your 98 626 was also longer, lower and wider. Hard to compare mid-size cars to compact-sizecars in terms of highway and crosswind stability. Might as well compare it to my 2006 GMC Crewcab that isn't even phased by wind, unless it's over 35mph crosswinds.

+ Reply to Thread