[XD2] WAN/LAN network setup.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WAN/LAN network setup.

Elantra04 jobzombi has not yet proved knowledgeable jobzombi's Avatar

Default WAN/LAN network setup.

I know there are some people here with home networks that may be able to help me. For personal reasons I have two seperate networks in my home. Now I want to use one pc to kind of be able to access both or if anything connect them together when I want to.

If I have two seperate network cards on one pc, can I connect each one to a seperate network and then bridge them to share services, folders and media?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: WAN/LAN network setup.

If you put 2 NICs in your computer, and connect each one to a different network - you will likely have access to both networks, but only from that computer. You may also confuse the computer and it won't know which network to use to find the internet and such. A better setup would be:

ISP -> WAN port of router 1 | LAN port of router 1 -> computers on network 1.
    LAN port of router 1 -> WAN of router 2 -> computers on network 2.

This setup would allow computers of network 2 to see all of your devices on either network, and would access the internet through router 1. Computers on Network 1 would not be able to access the computers on network 2 (unless you specifically allow it in the firewall settings), but would be able to access each other and the internet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you define "Personal reasons" we may be able to tell you a better setup.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Poster God Aintnonerd has picked up a wrench Aintnonerd's Avatar

Took the words right out of my head. Maybe he needs dedicated bandwidth on one network? Do both networks have there own separate internet access?
    Quote Originally Posted by songee623 View Post
    nothing is ever simple on the interwebz!
    Quote Originally Posted by xAlvarox View Post
    someones misery is my laughter xD

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

No just one. One network is setup by my employer and paid by them. I have two seperate ISPs. One I connect via a supplied router wirelessly to my laptop. My laptop is also provided to me by my job. What I want to achieve is have my laptop connected to two wireless routers. The one router from my employer will handle the internet the other one would be connected to network wherby by other computers connected to that router, as well as other devices, can connect to to the laptop that has internet access and use the internet that way. I want to bridge the two networks using my laptop as the middleman. This way I don't have to pay for my own ISP. I essentially don't have a functional web browser to use on my laptop but the internet connection is required for access to system files remotely. My other laptop does have a browser. Can this be done?

It sounds like what you want to do is setup ICS on the laptop right? You could then just get a wireless PCMCIA card for the "internet' network then in the network configuration give that connection a metric of 1 so the laptop will know what card to use for the internet. Then just setup ICS on the "network only" card so the computers on that network can access the internet through the laptop.

Is that what you wanna do?

Or is this more, "my neighbors have an unsecured wireless internet and I want to feed their internet connection through my laptop to the rest of my house so I don't have to pay for internet."?
    Last edited by Aintnonerd; 01-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Administrator rckozma has picked up a wrench rckozma's Avatar

FYI, when using 2 NICs you only want to assign a gateway to one of them, that resolves the issue that Mike was talking about with the confusion for internet access.
    Member # 7: 2003 Carbon Blue GT

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ***, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth." - Tom Clancy

Only a Biker Knows Why a Dog Sticks His Head Out of a Car Window.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Does the company issued router have jacks for CAT5 cable - or is it wireless only?

If it has ports - try this, it's free and easy. Take your personal router and unplug it from your personal ISP. Now plug the WAN side that you just disconnected into the LAN side of your company router. If the company router isn't all locked down, it should then see your router as just another device and issue it an address - and your personal router works from there managing your personal network. You'll probably want to reboot each router as well (unplug them and plug them back in).
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

It has CAT5 jacks but they are somehow disabled. I'll try Aintnonerd's idea. Being that I do use my Xbox I will stick with the ISP I already have for online play, but use the internet access through my employer's ISP. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rckozma View Post
    FYI, when using 2 NICs you only want to assign a gateway to one of them, that resolves the issue that Mike was talking about with the confusion for internet access.
    Whoops, thanks for the correction.

Administrator rckozma has picked up a wrench rckozma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    Whoops, thanks for the correction.
    Yup.

FYI, I think what everyone is talking about is RJ45 jacks, CAT5 is more of a grade of cable than the termination point.
    Member # 7: 2003 Carbon Blue GT

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ***, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth." - Tom Clancy

Only a Biker Knows Why a Dog Sticks His Head Out of a Car Window.

+ Reply to Thread