First time car buyer seeks color opinions for 2011 Elantra
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time car buyer seeks color opinions for 2011 Elantra

Newbie Dhelix has not yet proved knowledgeable

Question First time car buyer seeks color opinions for 2011 Elantra

Greetings,

Short story before I ask you my question: The 2011 Hyundai Elantra is shaping up to be my first new car purchase ever. I kept inheriting old cars from relatives that were thinking about unloading them or trading them but who came to me first. The most recent care I've owned was from 1999. A lot of my friends and relatives have newer cars so the car-shock of going from a '99 Neon to what's standard today wasn't as crazy as it otherwise would have been but I'm still shocked at how much we consumers are being offered these days as far as technology goes that used to be reserved only for the luxury segment. It makes me wonder what luxury cars have at the moment that some of these compact car limited editions lack. Anyway, back to the story at hand; this is a big purchase for my new wife and I as it's her first new car as well.

We're between a ton of colors right now so I'm looking for a little insight into the color options from those of you who've owned newer cars for a while. Where do you guys see color trends heading? is Grey/Silver phasing out after so much over-exposure in the 2000s? Red, always a mainstay, seems to be making a bit of a comeback lately. Hyundai has chosen it in ads for both the Elantra and the Sonota and a lot of Chevy Cruze ads seem to be featuring red again too. What about Indigo blue? How will that color hold up in 5 years?

Here are our thoughts at the moment:

Silver - Looks nice and metallic but I feel like silver, thanks to Audi and other manufacturers was EXTREMELY hot from 2000 until recently but I sort of sense that it's a little overexposed at the moment. As a neutral I don't think it will ever look bad or terribly out of date, the same way black and white never do but I feel like it might have reached its peak over the past 10 years and that's kind of holding us back. Also, we live in a cold climate so a silver or gray exterior, while practical due to slush/dirt, seems kind of uninspiring when you walk out on a drab day to see a gray/silver car. It's not like we really want to stand out so to speak but I don't think we want to blend into the background either. It's weird though because if I was buying a car 5 years ago I guarantee you I would have sought out a gun metal gray car. I just can't shake the feeling that if I buy one now it will feel like when people owned gold cars in the late 70s... outdated and dull eventually.

Gray - Same as above, except I feel like this Harbor Gray looks even less metallic and more "plastic-y" in person than the sliver. Anybody else feel this way or is it just that I've been looking at photos so much lately that they're clouding my judgment. I didn't say this above but there's a lot of gray inside the car so gray outside might be a little too much over time.

Black - I love black but I feel like it looks better on cars with less curves than this. A Cruze, for example, looks better in black than in some of the other colors, IMO. The Cruze seems more BMW-like in black to me for some reason. I just feel like black loses some of the lines (when it's not in ideal light) and features of the car that make it stand out. I've also heard it's a frustrating neutral because of how quickly it looks dirty. I've always owned a white car so I can imagine, which leads me to...

White - I've had white most of my driving life since I was a teenager. I'm sick of it and I think that's enough to convince my wife it's no good. Truthfully though, the Elantra does look great in white and Hyundai's white is better than most because of its pearl-effect. I just couldn't go through another 5 years of driving a white car though so I think this one's out.

Red - My wife usually hates red cars. It's almost a "thing" with her but when we saw this car in red her immediate reaction was. Hmmm, that's one of the better looking red cars I've seen. I had to agree. I grew up in the 90s so red cars were reserved for guys in sports cars or guys who wanted to look like they drove sports cars. This stigma always made me feel like the color was too bold and arrogant for me. But the Elantra's metallic touches have me second-guessing this previous belief. I think it's making my wife second-guess her opinion too. Of all the colors on display I do think this one looks the best so it's more a matter of whether I'll feel silly driving a bright red sporty car that's not really a sports car or not. My eyes tell me yes but my insecurity tells me no. Between both feelings is the idea that bold colors are about to make a mini comeback again after so much silver/gray the past 10 years. Ford keeps pushing bold greens and the upcoming Veloster features bold color options too. I just feel like bright is on the way back a bit.

Indigo Blue Pearl - Even the name sounds kind of cool. We love this color. Blue's one of our favorite colors... PERIOD and I love the way this car changes in different lights. That said, it's awfully dark and similarly to the black car... seems to hidee some of the curves of the car. On the plus side, and I didn't mention this in my black section, I feel like the darker colors hide the Mazda3 smiley inspired grille a bit more while also making the chrome elements pop a bit more so that's a bit of a plus in both colors favor. Aside from the fact that the car looks dark... I feel like this color, of all the colors we're considering, has the most potential to date the car in a negative way. I also feel like it somewhat cheapens the classiness of the car and makes it seem more fast and the furious inspired, although I have seen some BMWs that have the color as well which made me question that belief. We love the colour and don't mind being a little different and taking a bit of a risk with this color because we like blue so much but there has to be a reason not many people who are buying sporty or modern cars choose this color of blue. I don't see it on the road very often in classier cars, save for the BMWs I mentioned. Why is everybody so down on blue?

Sorry for the extremely long ramble! I'm a fast typer so I just wanted to share some of these thoughts with you guys and hear some of your own. I fully realize that all of this is subjective and I know I overthink things a lot but with this being our new first car purchase, well, ever... I want to make sure we get this right and won't be regretting our color decision down the road.

Does anybody have any insight on any of the colors? How do they fare in different weather? Do you disagree with any of the criticisms I've written out? Can you offer up any counterpoint?

I'm pretty open-minded at this point and just curious to read what some others think.

Cheers!
    DH
    Last edited by Dhelix; 01-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: First time car buyer seeks color opinions for 2011 Elantra

That was a whole lot of text, and I am already biased towards silver anyway - so I stay with the silver vote. The MD does look good in red, as you mentioned. I wouldn't shop by what you think is popular or trending, but get what you want. If you're worried about color affecting resale, you're looking at the wrong brand of car.

The darker the color, the easier scratches appear, and the harder it is to keep clean. Keep that part in mind.
    Last edited by hyunelan2; 01-21-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: 2011 is MD, not HD - my bad
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Where's My Boomstick? Tommy knows a lot about Elantras Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
    That was a whole lot of text, and I am already biased towards silver anyway - so I stay with the silver vote. The HD does look good in red, as you mentioned. I wouldn't shop by what you think is popular or trending, but get what you want. If you're worried about color affecting resale, you're looking at the wrong brand of car.

The darker the color, the easier scratches appear, and the harder it is to keep clean. Keep that part in mind.
    Only thing to add is - if you're talking about actual paint durability/quality, hyundai paint isnt too bad as far as keeping the paint on the panels and shiny, but it is a little on the thin side and is very hard, which may sound like a good thing, but in terms of paint, harder paint does not mean scratch protection, it means its a pain in the *** to buff out scratches/swirls.

Kick! Punch! It痴 all in the mind
    If you wanna test me, I知 sure you値l find
    The things I値l teach ya is sure to beat ya
    But nevertheless you値l get a lesson from teacher

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

That was a whole lot of text, and I am already biased towards silver anyway - so I stay with the silver vote. The MD does look good in red, as you mentioned. I wouldn't shop by what you think is popular or trending, but get what you want. If you're worried about color affecting resale, you're looking at the wrong brand of car.

A lot of good thoughts here. I suppose I am thinking about resale a little but it's not a huge factor. More than anything, i just don't want to have any regret or feel like I'm driving a dated car too soon based on color.

I understand your point with now worrying about what's popular or trending and just sticking with my gut but I feel like those smart enough to buy a gun metal gray Mazda3 or VW GTI or the like during the early-to-mid 00s made a brilliant choice because the color was relatively new at the time (a darker version of silver) so it seemed cool, had practical elements (seemed less dirty than white or black) and was on the way up so people who bought those cars in 01-05 and sold them just recently probably had no problem finding buyers and also enjoyed a lot of years with a car color that seemed current.

I'm just trying to balance preference with that level of foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Only thing to add is - if you're talking about actual paint durability/quality, hyundai paint isnt too bad as far as keeping the paint on the panels and shiny, but it is a little on the thin side and is very hard, which may sound like a good thing, but in terms of paint, harder paint does not mean scratch protection, it means its a pain in the *** to buff out scratches/swirls.
    Thanks for sharing this, Tommy. I don't know that much about paint, paint technology or any particular innovations or benefits of one thing over the other.

Have you seen the colors in person? Which paint job, in your opinion, seems the most impressive or luxurious? Is there any particular paint that has more elements to it than the others or are they all fairly equal in terms of complexity and advancements?

The blue pearl seems to have the most color-change properties to it but again... I don't know much about paint or whether that was just the lighting I saw.

Where's My Boomstick? Tommy knows a lot about Elantras Tommy's Avatar

Color isnt going to effect resale value of an elantra at all, they're all decent colors, nothing offensive. GTI/3's attract different buyers, ones that will care more about color than the typical used elantra shopper. If you want resale value, buy white or regular silver. Most popular colors in the country.

As far as seeing the cars in person, i havent seen many 2011's yet. Just go to the dealer and look at whats there and buy what you think is best. Its your car, buy what YOU want, not what the next owner may want.

Kick! Punch! It痴 all in the mind
    If you wanna test me, I知 sure you値l find
    The things I値l teach ya is sure to beat ya
    But nevertheless you値l get a lesson from teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Color isnt going to effect resale value of an elantra at all, they're all decent colors, nothing offensive. GTI/3's attract different buyers, ones that will care more about color than the typical used elantra shopper. If you want resale value, buy white or regular silver. Most popular colors in the country.

As far as seeing the cars in person, i havent seen many 2011's yet. Just go to the dealer and look at whats there and buy what you think is best. Its your car, buy what YOU want, not what the next owner may want.
    I bolded that last part because that line really hit home for me. It is our car for the next 5-7 years or however long we keep it so that should come first. That definitely helps. I'd still like to max-out the potential of this car's design with a color that best does that though. I've never had the privilege of owning a new-ish car (every car I've had has been at least 9 years old) so the idea of turning some heads now and again sounds kind of fun. The elantra's side profile is gorgeous, IMO. I'd love to max that out in summer.

As much as I love the color blue... I just think the car's too sporty-looking for it. Anybody agree or disagree? When I think of blue vehicles the first thing I think of are Fords. Ford trucks. Ford SUVs and Ford focuses. I know a lot of BMW owners buy blue (Hmmmm, wonder if people are just trying to color match the emblems!?) so that helps elevate it a bit too but I don't think there's any denying the fact that you really don't see too many sporty looking vehicles from the 00s in blue.

Blue used to be so popular on muscle cars back in the 60s and 70s though. I don't know why it seems to have fallen into truck/suv territory primarily as of late. I do love how it reduces the design elements of the front that I dislike though and maximizes the chrome and lighting elements that I do like.

Hmmm... so hard. I feel like none of the colors screams out... "I'm the one!"

I think it's ultimately going to come down to gray, indigo blue or red. Those are probably our front-runners.
    Last edited by Dhelix; 01-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

Keep in mind there are some colors that aren't out yet as reported by other members here.

I like the gray, blue or white.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

I also wouldn't get set on saying "I want this color, in this trim, with these options" because you are not likely to get it. You may find that the trim you want with the options you want is only sitting on dealer lots in XYZ color right now. That's how I ended up with a black truck - for the specifics I wanted, all that was available at any dealer at that time was black.

Or, you will order it in that color and pay a ton more than buying out of dealer inventory.

You best be trollin foo UrbanerMezei knows a lot about Elantras UrbanerMezei's Avatar

As long as your not going with lime green you should be good. I like blue. Am I the only one who buys a car with caring what the resale is?

Newbie silvergls has not yet proved knowledgeable silvergls's Avatar

Besides the color on the outside something to consider is the interior color. I wanted the gray/black interior so the silver was my choice. What's funny is I got this car on a trade in from another silver car. But this silver Hyundai uses looks much nicer.

I seen other 3 other colors in person and will say that they all looked good. I would rather just go with what works for you. But like mentioned by Tommy, you'll likely have an easy time resale with a white or silver car, especially the white.

Hey, I still own my modded '98 Neon R/T which I love. Great pocket rocket. While were on the subject of colors, it's white.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanerMezei View Post
    Am I the only one who buys a car with caring what the resale is?
    Hopefully. Unless you are turning the car over in a short period (every 2 years), the difference down the road should be negligible except for a few niche types of vehicle. There are so many "bogus" factors published that influence resale -such as time of year- you can't put a logical expectation or prediction on what one vehicle will be worth 5 years from now vs. another. I find it funny that manufacturers use resale as an advertising gimmick - right off the bat they are telling you "you'll want to sell this car, not keep it."

Or, you will order it in that color and pay a ton more than buying out of dealer inventory.

That's how i got my optionless Tidal Wave XD2 5 speed but i didn't have to pay a ton more...

https://www.elantraxd.com/cotm/april07.php

"President Obama to increase the tax on aspirin by 40%... due to the fact it is white, and it works."

We've weighed the pros and cons and eliminated some from our short list and reduced it to 2 colors and a neutral. It's going to come down to Red, Blue or Gray and we'll make our decision in person and see how they look under different lighting conditions (hopefully they'll have all 3) when we buy later this year.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Senior Member Jess can identify a wrench Jess's Avatar

honestly? i prefer the graphite color i saw when i test drove one of those bad boys. (: very earthy, nice color, and well, it shows the car's lines and "fluidity" very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    honestly? i prefer the graphite color i saw when i test drove one of those bad boys. (: very earthy, nice color, and well, it shows the car's lines and "fluidity" very well.
    Is that not the Harbor Gray Metallic color? If I'm going for a neutral I'd definitely prefer it to be more of that gun metal metallic look than just flat, boring, plastic-y looking gray.

I haven't seen the gray in person yet, which is why I'm asking. I'm basing my opinion mostly off of images and youtube clips. I feel like I see a bit of a metallic sparkle in there but I'll have to see it in person to know if it's similar to what Audi/VW offer because that level of sparkle and tint change around the curves is what we were hoping for when we included it in our final 3 because we like how that color looks on Audis/VWs/BMWs, etc. I just don't know if the Hyundai equivalent has as much range and metallic sparkle yet.
    Last edited by Dhelix; 01-26-2011 at 12:35 PM.

If anybody else is interested in blue and wondering what it looks like in motion I found a video clip here:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...ra-for-a-ride-

Watch the video on the top right of the page. You can also make it full screen. You'll see a bit of a walk around of one of the models in blue as well as some nice clips of a silver one.

I feel like it's easier to appreciate the different pros and cons of both the darker and lighter color options by watching the video (rather than looking at still images) because here you can see how light reflects and illuminates different aspects of the vehicle. The silver hides nothing obviously and showcases every design line and curve to its fullest detail. The blue seems to reduce the seam lines between body panels (which is good) and also makes the car, overall, the focal point rather than the front grille (which is another positive for me because I'm still not in love with the front grille design). Its dark color though does seem to reduce the impressive rear shoulder crease body work more and makes it harder to appreciate some of the more refined design elements so as I said there are pros and cons (beyond simply color preference) to going with either a dark or light paint option.
    Last edited by Dhelix; 01-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.

EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD! Gman knows about Elantras Gman's Avatar

don't know if you colvered it or not, but do you want a MT or a AT - going by the build your own on the hyundai site, the GLS AT is only avail in Blue, Silver, White, and Tan. Rest are MT only or you have to move up to the Limited. I really like the Blue myself, and hope to get one in that color in a few years when the HD is payed for.

Newbie dougert has not yet proved knowledgeable

When I was looking, I found the dealerships that were within about 25 miles of my house, and checked their online inventory. Now, most of them were completely inflated (seriously, one dealer claimed to have 45 2011 Elantras). I was very specific with what I wanted, but once I found a dealer that had the exterior color, and another that had the interior, I drove to both to see them in person. Personally seeing the cars is so much different than seeing a still picture and video.

I lucked out and found a dealer that had my exact color combination in the Limited w/ Nav packages, and I bought it. Ended up being about a 35 mile drive to do it, but it was a fantastic drive home!

PS: My color combo of choice is Phantom Black exterior with the Black interior.

+ Reply to Thread