Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Turbo on stock beta

[XD] 
43K views 117 replies 17 participants last post by  nick124 
#1 ·
I have an 03 Elantra GT and am going to be turboing it this April. I have been getting mixed messages about rebuilding my engine. I wish to use 10-12 psi of boost and, up until now, planned to put a 3mm head gasket on it. I wondered if anyone here has safely boosted around this psi range on a stock beta WITHOUT a 3mm head gasket. I still plan on getting a tune, bigger injectors, cooler spark plugs and a complete turbo set up.

If anyone has done this, was it still reliable (did you end up blowing it up)?

thanks.

#2 ·
Do it up, then come to Cayuga when you are done. I wanna see what it runs :)

#3 ·
The turbo is a for sure thing. Already started buying parts. Just not sure about whether to bother with the engine yet. I may be getting a built one from Midnight Motoring and push a little more psi... but I still want comments on turboing a stock beta.

I just noticed that you life by Brantford. I'm going to school here at Laurier! Do you still have your Elantra?

live*

#4 ·
Yeah the Elantra is my winter beater. I don't live too too far from Laurier actually.

Too bad you weren't doing this when I did my second major setup change on my DSM last winter. I had anything from a genuine Mitsubishi 16G, to Walbro pumps. FIC 650's, Autometer gauges, intercooler cores, BOV's, piping, couplers, etc all for sale.

#6 ·
Asides from intake piping, intercooler core, intercooler piping, exhaust, etc I would try and steer clear from ebay parts. Things such as turbochargers, exhaust manifolds, BOV's, fuel components etc are known for failure. It's not worth doing the work twice and spending ever more money. However, some people do get lucky!

Do you have your Elantra with you at school?

#7 ·
I have heard good things from people that have actually installed Ebay turbos. There have been a lot of comments by people who have never tried them. The people who had Ebay turbos that failed seem to be due to crappy tunes and wrong set ups. I'm willing to give it a try.

It is in storage right now until my insurance renews March 16th. I'm counting down the days!!! I figured I wouldn't need it for the school year as I am living on res and it cost a ridiculous amount to park around here... That and my insurance is $277/month when it's on the road. But I will have it here the Monday after the 16th (the 19th if I'm correct)

Still curious about my initial question for the rest of yous!!!

#8 ·
You can boost in the range of 10-12 PSI, however, don't expect it to last. It may be good for a week, month or a year. But in the end, you will be thinking about it everyday, wondering when its going to blow. You question has an answer: The formula of modifying.

Fast+Cheap= Unreliable,
Fast+Reliable=Not Cheap,
Cheap+Reliable= Not Fast.

Do yourself a favour, spend the extra dough and make it reliable. It will save you a massive headache in the end. As well, stay away buying Ebay parts, Seriously. I knew a guy who bought an Ebay turbo, and when it wasn't spitting out oil and fluids, it would seize up.
Just my Canadian two cents. Perhaps you will have my luck. I've sucessfully running an Alpine stage 1 turbo kit for well over 4 years now (Yes, people of Elantra XD, its true) and this set-up came out of a Tib that had been boosting for at least 2 years.

Good Luck on the build.

#9 ·
Depending on the condition of the motor and size of the turbo, you would be fine. The beta motors are very stout, and can take some abuse. The ringlands are generally the weak link on the pistons. I would personally check the compression again, and when tuning, be very liberal on the AFR. I personally ran 11.0-11.5, better to lose some fuel and not lean out and blow a motor.

#11 · (Edited)
The only internal mods I'm running are a ported intake and 1.8L pistons and rings (to lower compression). Before my boost gauge bit the dust, I was running 17lbs and the motor was quite happy with it. I've upgraded to an SMT-6 so I may up the boost a pound or two, after a good tune (if I'm smart enough to figure it out)

#15 ·
Ya I realized that after I said it lol. I was just shocked by such high psi I guess. I think I will end up going with a 3mm head gasket to lower compression. I don't want to invest in a built engine as so many things could go wrong with the kit itself and I don't want to blow a $2500 engine.

I'll have more to report as we near April. It's happening by then one way or another.

#16 ·
Let me know if I can give you a hand with anything during your project.

#26 ·
Auto, dang it. I was gonna say. If you ever come across a manual elantra, we can split on it. You could take the engine, I would need the trans/axles/FW/clutch/shifter base/cables/master/slave/lines/starter/clutch pedal assembly/misc interior pieces/etc. Part out the rest, split the costs and enjoy the savings.

#29 ·
YES. I just stole a kit from Kijiji (Canadian's Craig's List). I got oil lines, manifold, GARRETT t25 (internal waste gate), HKS blow off valve, and an oil catch can.

It also came with a MSD SCI. Is this necessary??

I should have pics up soon. Can't wait to start the project!

That's right, I scrapped the Ebay turbo idea!

.....and JDM intercooler with piping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.