[XD2] Making my car quieter.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making my car quieter.

That's Mr. Detail to you Spectre has picked up a wrench

Default Making my car quieter.

I test drove a 2004 Jaguar S Type yesterday (For fun.) and the single best attribute of that car was how quiet the car is. I could of purchased it but I'd rather have a daily driver that doesn't have to have a second home in a mechanic's shop plus my Elantra has given me 4 and a half years of faithful service. As I was driving back home I decided that in order to make my car feel "new" again that I'd like to do some additional things to make it more refined.

Late last year I installed a dash GPS unit in my car which I felt gave the interior a more upscale look. Now I am turning my attention to what I loved so much about the Jaguar, how quiet it was in the interior. I've heard of products such as dynomat and I'm also aware that redoing the rubber seals around the doors can help make the interior more quiet. Are there any suggestions or opinions on how I should approach this or what your opinion of this project is?
    2004 Elantra

----------------
    Mods: K&N Filter,NGK V Power Sparkplugs, Sport Edition A10 Wheels, Kumho Sense KR26 tires

1991 Mazda Miata, Mods: '99 Miata 1.8L Engine Swap, Magnaflow High-Flow Cat Converter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Scary Super Mod songee623 has picked up a wrench songee623's Avatar

Default Re: Making my car quieter.

sounddeadner you can get lots of kinds from the foil/tar, closed cell foam, foam with the tape side, spray on's and there are differant thicknesses of this stuff. a good place to look into where to use it on is some of the car audio fourms, fire wall, well well ares are common spots for lots of noise. for the doors and the seals i have seen putting a small tube into the hole will make a much better seal for the doors and same with putting deadner on the in side door skin. this is the type of project that can add up quick and would take a full interior strip to install in all the right spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by silversharkxd2 View Post
    in a world without exd...no one can hear you scream
    https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/imag...ine=1358427727

I likely won't do the entire interior. Some do everywhere which includes stripping carpet and a lot of other extra things. I don't plan on taking it that far. I was thinking of maybe just doing the doors/trunk. I've been spending some money on my Miata and just thought I'd do some extra things for my Elantra as well.

This is a thread that proved to be rather helpful to me before I posted this:

https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/show...und+insulation
    2004 Elantra

----------------
    Mods: K&N Filter,NGK V Power Sparkplugs, Sport Edition A10 Wheels, Kumho Sense KR26 tires

1991 Mazda Miata, Mods: '99 Miata 1.8L Engine Swap, Magnaflow High-Flow Cat Converter

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God avantegt knows about Elantras avantegt's Avatar

I would add sound deadener to the trunk. Especially where the spare tire goes, with the silencer in my exhaust, it is loud from the inside but not the outside. Doors panels come off easily, so you should probably start with them.
    They ran over my car, quite literally.

Junior Member Chickenwing has not yet proved knowledgeable Chickenwing's Avatar

is the rubber door seals universal? my doors are noisy i want to eliminate the nasty wind the hits my door. any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by avantegt View Post
    I would add sound deadener to the trunk. Especially where the spare tire goes, with the silencer in my exhaust, it is loud from the inside but not the outside. Doors panels come off easily, so you should probably start with them.
    I concur. I think this is the smart way to go as well. I have no intention of stripping the interior, although I'd sort of like to have some off the firewall to deafen the sound of the engine. I do plan on starting with the doors and then move on to the truck. I've heard that a lot of sound does come through the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenwing View Post
    is the rubber door seals universal? my doors are noisy i want to eliminate the nasty wind the hits my door. any thoughts
    I thinkI saw a post stating that the same sort of material can be bought at hardware stores for cheaper. If I were looking for such an answer I would of paid it more mind when I saw the post, but I can't find it for the life of me.
    2004 Elantra

----------------

Newbie ghandaed has not yet proved knowledgeable ghandaed's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Have you thought about how to do firewall and front pillar insulation?

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

The only what to get it like the jaguar is to gut the entire interior and do everything.

The firewall is a big one that will need to be done to give a luxury car feel.
    Behind the plastic cover that hides the mirror mounts.
    Not just replacing the door seals, but having better ones. Nobody will make a "better" one, direct fit replacement for an economy class car.
    The floor pan

Those are some key areas.

The different types of materials that Songee listed are best used in specific places. Not all materials are best all over the car. Some fight sound, some fight vibration, some fight heat.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by ghandaed View Post
    Interesting stuff. Have you thought about how to do firewall and front pillar insulation?
    I have thought about doing the firewall but not any of the pillars.

Quote Originally Posted by smileymattj View Post
    The only what to get it like the jaguar is to gut the entire interior and do everything.

The firewall is a big one that will need to be done to give a luxury car feel.
    Behind the plastic cover that hides the mirror mounts.
    Not just replacing the door seals, but having better ones. Nobody will make a "better" one, direct fit replacement for an economy class car.
    The floor pan

Those are some key areas.

The different types of materials that Songee listed are best used in specific places. Not all materials are best all over the car. Some fight sound, some fight vibration, some fight heat.
    As I've done more research on this I've come to realize that this would be a bigger undertaking than I originally thought. I never expected it to be as quiet as a jaguar but from what I've researched it is going to take more money than I am willing to spend to get the car to be as quiet as even an entry level luxury car.

I'm thinking about getting a Toyota Avalon for the long distance driving I'm having to do. Selling the Elantra would be an option but I really have no interest in parting with it. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by Spectre; 02-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    2004 Elantra

----------------

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Rather than just blocking the noise, also think about preventing it in the first place. If you have loud tires, simply getting newer/better tires will go a way towards reducing cabin noise.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

A.K.A. ItalianSausage SilverElantra knows about Elantras SilverElantra's Avatar

There is some pretty decent dynamat on ebay. probably a dollar a foot or less and it will help your cause significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
    Rather than just blocking the noise, also think about preventing it in the first place. If you have loud tires, simply getting newer/better tires will go a way towards reducing cabin noise.
    Most of the cabin noise is the engine. I have dunlop tires that are pretty quiet. If I did anything I'd definitely have to do the firewall. I am likely going to get an Avalon for those long trips and use the Elantra for my daily driver and my Miata as a weekend car. I ran the insurance quotes and it would cost me almost nothing to have an extra car. That means more toys for me. :P
    2004 Elantra

----------------

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

An Avalon, really? Certainly there are some other quiet cars to get in the same price range?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    An Avalon, really? Certainly there are some other quiet cars to get in the same price range?
    Sure, but I won't be placing my Elantra with it if I get one. Yep, there are other quiet cars in the price range but I liked the Avalon the best.
    2004 Elantra

----------------

Poster God avantegt knows about Elantras avantegt's Avatar

Try the azera mane.
    They ran over my car, quite literally.

Quote Originally Posted by avantegt View Post
    Try the azera mane.
    I've looked into it, but the thought of being able to go 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds sounded pretty fun to me.
    2004 Elantra

----------------

They are in the same boat. From zeroto60times.com:

2006 Hyundai Azera SE 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter mile 14.8

2012 Hyundai Azera Limited 0-60 mph 6.2 Quarter Mile 14.7

------------------------
    2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 0-60 mph 6.9

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 0-60 mph 6.4 Quarter Mile 14.7

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 0-60 mph 6.4

2011 Toyota Avalon Limited 0-60 mph 6.5 Quarter Mile 14.8

2012 Toyota Avalon 0-60 mph 6.5

Rebuilding the XD CornbreadXD knows a lot about Elantras CornbreadXD's Avatar

That's awesome my thread helped, I did that same process to my s10 and it was super quiet....but someone stole my truck so they are enjoying it now. To get it quiet you really HAVE to do everything and be thorough, pulling the carpet isn't really a big deal just remove the seats and everything it'd only take 2 days to do it and put everything back. You can get all sorts of closed cell foams from industrial supply places possibly local, they practically GIVE stuff away. I was able to get my XD on par with an S-Class Mercedes, with solid thunk when the door closes, although sometimes there is an issue when I'm playing music and not being able to hear emergency vehicle sirens.
    87 Dodge Daytona Pacifica = Junkyard
    03 Hyundai Elantra XD = 8-30-07 R.I.P
    78 Datsun 280z = Resting
    03 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr = Driving
    03 Kawasaki Ninja 500 = Riding
    i bet my stock elantra will park you!

Don't know what the shipping runs, but this online seller seems to have a wide variety of foams at reasonable prices.
    http://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html

EDIT: Free Shipping on orders over $75
    Last edited by hyunelan2; 04-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread