Wheels and Tires FAQ (updated w/ sizing) - READ THIS!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels and Tires FAQ (updated w/ sizing) - READ THIS!

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

Arrow Wheels and Tires FAQ (updated w/ sizing) - READ THIS!

There is always a lot of questions asked when people are looking for new wheels and tires so I thought we could make it easier on everyone. I hope this proves helpful.

Stock Wheels:

Elantra GT: 15"x6"
    Elantra GLS 15"x5.5"

Stock Tires (currently):

195/60/R15 Michelin all-season tires

Previously available were 195/60/R15 Kuhmo all-season tires and maybe others depending on location

Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3

Another invaluable resource available to everyone is Discount Tire's Info Center. Click Here for Discount Tire's Info Center. This has all the information someone needs to know when looking for wheels and tires and has a great deal of terms to make life easier.

SWortham's wheel & tire sizing guide...
    I put together the best information I can come up with for wheel & tire fitment for the XD ('01 - 03') and XD2 ('04 - '06). This is based on my own experience and the experiences of many other members who have tested the limits of tire sizes. This post is designed so that you can pick a rim size and tire sizing will follow.

- Center bore must be 67.1mm or larger (if the bore of the wheel is larger than 67.1mm then use hubcentric rings for proper hubcentric fitment)

Here are your choices for rim widths (regardless of wheel diameter):
    {offset in BOLD are the closest possible offset to OEM's scrub radius}

6.0" (+27mm to +58mm offset, +46)
    6.5" (+34mm to +51mm offset, +46)
    7.0" (+40mm to +45mm offset, +45)

Here are your final wheel & tire choices. Note that not all tires are built the same way. So always take a look at the manufacturer's range of suggested wheel widths for the tires you're looking at. They'll usually even provide a "measured rim width" which is a good width to use. That information can be found on tire manufacturers' websites or at www.tirerack.com.

15" wheels
    205/55-15 (slightly undersized but a popular choice for a wider contact patch and a stiffer, shorter sidewall)
    195/60-15 (OEM size, good for snow, non-tarmac surfaces)
    205/60-15 (oversized, if you like the oversized tire look these will do it)

16" wheels
    215/45-16 (undersized but great for autocrossing, the wider contact patch and lower profile lend itself to great handling)
    205/50-16 (closest to OEM diameter, it's a great tire size for daily driving but with better handling than the 15" sizes)
    215/50-16 (oversized, not a common size but these will grip nicely and be good for daily driving)

17" wheels
    205/40-17 (undersized, this size is common & cheap)
    215/40-17 (slightly undersized, good for autocrossing)
    205/45-17 (closest to OEM diameter, good for daily driving)
    215/45-17 (oversized, very common size and rides and handles great but can rub in some configurations)

18" wheels
    215/35-18 (undersized, this size is not good for daily driving)
    205/40-18 (closest to OEM diameter)
    215/40-18 (oversized, but this tire will cause rubbing in a lot of configurations)

When you're using any of the 215mm tire sizes, the offset you choose becomes even more critical. Ideally, if you want to avoid rubbing, a 7" wide wheel with a +42mm offset should be used.

Use this info at your own risk. As far as I know this is a comprehensive list of every wheel & tire size worth considering. You may notice in several places I say that rubbing can occur. There's not a lot of space between the struts and fender to fit wide tires in there, so it's not hard to push the limits as far as width goes. That's especially true when actual tire sizing varies (ie. not all 215/45-17 tires are exactly the same width). If you do encounter a rubbing problem with the specs I provided, it's probably going to be rubbing at the fenders. If so, the most you'll probably have to do is roll the lip of the fenders to gain 5mm of clearance or so. A fender roller tool can be rented from www.tirerack.com or www.tireswap.com. I did this myself, as described in my DIY.

Also, your alignment settings can affect rubbing. The images below illustrate a rubbing problem at the fender with 0 camber (left) and no rubbing at -2 degrees camber (right).

This is an exaggerated case and the max negative camber with our cars within spec is -0.5 degrees front and -1.2 degrees rear. But getting your camber maxed out to those settings is another way you can sometimes cure a rubbing problem.

Please add to this as necessary. But please do not fill this thread up with questions. Let's try to keep it as clean and helpful as possible. Thanks everyone.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by SWortham; 05-16-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Default Re: Wheels and Tires FAQ - READ THIS!

Also note that the bolt pattern (4x114.3) is also known as 4x4.5 . You can 'decode' the the bolt pattern as follows: 4 (bolts) x 114.3 (mm diameter circle), which is the exact same thing as 4 (bolts) x 4.5 (inches circle diameter).

Last edited by hyunelan2; 12-07-2004 at 09:44 AM.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Countersteer forever SWortham has not yet proved knowledgeable

And as for aftermarket wheel & tire sizing, this calculator can be helpful:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Basically, you should try to achieve an overall diameter close to stock (195/60-15 = 24.2 inches diameter).

But you don't have to be exact. For example, 215/45-17 tires are oversized at 24.6" diameter and will throw off the speedometer, but assuming proper clearance they should work fine without rubbing.
    "Some say that his left foot is made of soap and that he once wrestled an Elk with his bare hands. All we know is they call him Bob."

Click here to see pictures of the old ride.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God CTele02 has not yet proved knowledgeable CTele02's Avatar

Maybe you can add the stock rim weights of the gls and gt to that first post. I've search around and read that they were around 19-20lbs and with rubber they were 35-40lbs. But please correct me if you know exact measurements, since I'm looking to get some light weight rims and I'm looking for a comparison.

Now: 2006 Subaru Legacy
    Rota Slipstreams For Sale

what if my tires are gonna have a 25 inch diameter is that to much of a difference

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

Use the tire calculator posted 3 posts above. You can see for yourself how much the tire size you have in mind will alter your speedometer. Then decide for yourself if that's too much.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

This is by far the most comprehensive tire related website I found during the course of my tire purchase research... It's got everything you can think of!

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html

They also have a section on brakes and suspension.

Noob (play gunbound?) jayupark can identify a wrench

Wow, this is great stuff. Thanks for the helpful posts ppl
    Memphis Blues
    2004 Elantra GT

Thanks for the great info ... it helps a lot

One more question on this though .. what about the offset limits. I don't plan on going to a wider rim size so that won't affect it.

Thanks,
    Brad

You are getting sleepy... waif69 has not yet proved knowledgeable waif69's Avatar

Can someone say was certainty what the widest size tire I can play on the stock 15" rims? I ran the numbers through the calculators and 215/55-R15 looks good, however I am concerned with rubbing.
    '05 4-door GT, with a tib short shifter.
    If it weren't for guns, we'd be British!

KDM to JDM. Keyan can identify a wrench Keyan's Avatar

I know w/ 17s the largest size you can have is 215/40-R17.
    MySpace/Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by someone on NJTuners.com
    never tell someone with a turbocharged elantra they cant do something
    Quote Originally Posted by OPZ View Post
    Keyan.

You are my ****ing hero.

Countersteer forever SWortham has not yet proved knowledgeable

With 17's, 215/45-17 is the largest. It is common to use that size and experience no rubbing whatsoever on the sedan. If there is rubbing, there are ways to get around it.

215/55-15 should work although I can't be sure. One difference will be that the sidewall will bulge a little more than a lower profile tire, so under heavy compression the sidewall could hit the fender. You should not, however, mount 215's on the stock wheels. Even if you can mount a tire that wide on 6" wide wheels, you lose sidewall control when mounting a wide tire to a narrow wheel. 7" wide wheels would be optimal for 215mm tires.
    "Some say that his left foot is made of soap and that he once wrestled an Elk with his bare hands. All we know is they call him Bob."

Click here to see pictures of the old ride.

You are getting sleepy... waif69 has not yet proved knowledgeable waif69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SWortham
    You should not, however, mount 215's on the stock wheels. Even if you can mount a tire that wide on 6" wide wheels, you lose sidewall control when mounting a wide tire to a narrow wheel. 7" wide wheels would be optimal for 215mm tires.
    So... I guess the largest size I can go to safely with the stock rims would be 205/55. OK, cool, that will work.
    '05 4-door GT, with a tib short shifter.
    If it weren't for guns, we'd be British!

Newbie ike has not yet proved knowledgeable ike's Avatar

Newbee: elantra GT

Seems that i have more choices. thanks.
    Last edited by ike; 10-01-2006 at 12:39 PM.

the world ends dec21 2012 Estopatitiana has not yet proved knowledgeable Estopatitiana's Avatar

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    195/60-15 4.6in 12.1in 24.2in 76.1in 833 0.0%
    225/45-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.5in 808 3.1%

this thing helped..heres mine..i rub alittle in the rear but not since i rolled the fender..not lowered by the way
    shark racing cai/ 65mmtb/4-1header/full exhaust/ebay muffler/ 17x7 adr sokudo's w/ 225/45 bf goodrich g-force sport's, ground wires/reverse glow guages/ngk plug wires/pcv seperator 15inchsub,pioneerdeck,cleartailight mod, angle eye+painted silver headlights,custom grille+phenolic spacer

Full Member |2oo has not yet proved knowledgeable |2oo's Avatar

Default Re: Wheels and Tires FAQ (updated w/ sizing) - READ THIS!

hey im looking for rims for my 2002 elantra hatchback and found really cheap rims but the tyres are 235/45/17 will they still fit the off set is +40 my suspension is all standard hasnt been lowered

turbo envy only1db has picked up a wrench only1db's Avatar

i would not recommend that size...especially with a 40mm offset...you WILL have rubbing issues if you take a turn quickly or even have any weight in the backseat...i would not go with that wide of a tire with that offset...plus you have the possibility of rubbing on the inside against the spring perch on the strut itself.

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer! and blogger?? check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

Veloster Turbo is in the future....

EXD Pro Member NY2002ElantraGT has not yet proved knowledgeable NY2002ElantraGT's Avatar

what about 17"x7.5? i found a set on ebay, and it says it fits 91+ elantra for some reason i didnt think they would fit.

Senior Member carchick78 has not yet proved knowledgeable carchick78's Avatar

The only wheels so far that I have liked are are a 40mm offset. I would like to go with these wheels and 205/45/17's if possible. Is it possible to do this at stock height with out any rubbing issues?

+ Reply to Thread