Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Wheels and Tires FAQ (updated w/ sizing) - READ THIS!

170K views 175 replies 99 participants last post by  Amir_hosseinn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is always a lot of questions asked when people are looking for new wheels and tires so I thought we could make it easier on everyone. I hope this proves helpful.

Stock Wheels:

Elantra GT: 15"x6"
Elantra GLS 15"x5.5"

Stock Tires (currently):

195/60/R15 Michelin all-season tires

Previously available were 195/60/R15 Kuhmo all-season tires and maybe others depending on location

Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3

Another invaluable resource available to everyone is Discount Tire's Info Center. Click Here for Discount Tire's Info Center. This has all the information someone needs to know when looking for wheels and tires and has a great deal of terms to make life easier.

SWortham's wheel & tire sizing guide...
I put together the best information I can come up with for wheel & tire fitment for the XD ('01 - 03') and XD2 ('04 - '06). This is based on my own experience and the experiences of many other members who have tested the limits of tire sizes. This post is designed so that you can pick a rim size and tire sizing will follow.

- Center bore must be 67.1mm or larger (if the bore of the wheel is larger than 67.1mm then use hubcentric rings for proper hubcentric fitment)

Here are your choices for rim widths (regardless of wheel diameter):
{offset in BOLD are the closest possible offset to OEM's scrub radius}

6.0" (+27mm to +58mm offset, +46)
6.5" (+34mm to +51mm offset, +46)
7.0" (+40mm to +45mm offset, +45)

Here are your final wheel & tire choices. Note that not all tires are built the same way. So always take a look at the manufacturer's range of suggested wheel widths for the tires you're looking at. They'll usually even provide a "measured rim width" which is a good width to use. That information can be found on tire manufacturers' websites or at www.tirerack.com.

15" wheels
205/55-15 (slightly undersized but a popular choice for a wider contact patch and a stiffer, shorter sidewall)
195/60-15 (OEM size, good for snow, non-tarmac surfaces)
205/60-15 (oversized, if you like the oversized tire look these will do it)

16" wheels
215/45-16 (undersized but great for autocrossing, the wider contact patch and lower profile lend itself to great handling)
205/50-16 (closest to OEM diameter, it's a great tire size for daily driving but with better handling than the 15" sizes)
215/50-16 (oversized, not a common size but these will grip nicely and be good for daily driving)

17" wheels
205/40-17 (undersized, this size is common & cheap)
215/40-17 (slightly undersized, good for autocrossing)
205/45-17 (closest to OEM diameter, good for daily driving)
215/45-17 (oversized, very common size and rides and handles great but can rub in some configurations)

18" wheels
215/35-18 (undersized, this size is not good for daily driving)
205/40-18 (closest to OEM diameter)
215/40-18 (oversized, but this tire will cause rubbing in a lot of configurations)

When you're using any of the 215mm tire sizes, the offset you choose becomes even more critical. Ideally, if you want to avoid rubbing, a 7" wide wheel with a +42mm offset should be used.

Use this info at your own risk. As far as I know this is a comprehensive list of every wheel & tire size worth considering. You may notice in several places I say that rubbing can occur. There's not a lot of space between the struts and fender to fit wide tires in there, so it's not hard to push the limits as far as width goes. That's especially true when actual tire sizing varies (ie. not all 215/45-17 tires are exactly the same width). If you do encounter a rubbing problem with the specs I provided, it's probably going to be rubbing at the fenders. If so, the most you'll probably have to do is roll the lip of the fenders to gain 5mm of clearance or so. A fender roller tool can be rented from www.tirerack.com or www.tireswap.com. I did this myself, as described in my DIY.

Also, your alignment settings can affect rubbing. The images below illustrate a rubbing problem at the fender with 0 camber (left) and no rubbing at -2 degrees camber (right).

This is an exaggerated case and the max negative camber with our cars within spec is -0.5 degrees front and -1.2 degrees rear. But getting your camber maxed out to those settings is another way you can sometimes cure a rubbing problem.

Please add to this as necessary. But please do not fill this thread up with questions. Let's try to keep it as clean and helpful as possible. Thanks everyone.

See less See more
#148 ·
I got a 2002 hyndai elentra with bodykit but it looks dumb without rim so i want to get some new wheels and tires, i really like the Konig Lace http://www.konigwheels.com/Konig-Home/Konig-Passenger-Wheels/LACE. I found them in 17x7 4x114.3. But i dont know much about offset and im worryed if they can even fit. Also if so, is it possible to put 17x8 on back cause already the stock wheels in back look like they're set in alot with the bodykit.

#150 ·
Question similar to ^...
I'm wanting to get a little bit of concave on the next set of wheels I get. I can't seem to find anyone that talks about the offset being low but what's the lowest offset we can go? And what is needed to go lower? Or would I need to do a tiburon suspension swap to get my idea even going? I wanted rota grids with 25-35 offset but just want info from the people more experienced in this stuff.

#153 ·
There used to be a couple of people on here that had 19's but I don't remember their names. Google "tire size calculator" and you can punch in your current or stock tire and you can find out what size 19" tire would be closest to stock tires. Also the width and offset of the wheel play a big role in whether or not you will have any rubbing issues.

#157 ·
I know this is a very old thread, but if someone is still listening: What's the difference between the Elantra GT's 15"x6" wheel and GLS's 15"x5.5"
The point being, can I use these on my 05 Elantra GLS:
4 P195/60R15 88S Dayton Winterforce snow tires with black steel rims (15x6 4x100-114.3)

#161 ·
Hello i installed a 205/55-16 on my 2006 Elantra and I'm having some problems with rubbing, when there is people in the back or i am passing in some holes the rear wheels hits the fenders, i Rolled the Fenders today and i havent tested with people at the back, but after one hole it hits the fender, i don't know what else to do

best regards

#165 ·
quick question,

i have a set of 90-93 Honda Accord EX rims with nearly brand new tires just sittin' around. i know that the bolt pattern for the Accord and my 01 XD GT are 4 X 114.3, my issue is if the hub sizes are the same. the reason i ask this is just in case i damage a rim or two late on a sunday afternoon can i just slap on the Accord rims until i get my hands on a good XD rim

bumpity bump

#169 ·
Hey guys, this might be a simple question, but I have a 2013 Elantra GLS w/ 205/55/r16 stock tires. I need to buy some winter tires and my parents have 205/60/r16 that they had on their Toyota Camry but can't use because they bought a new Santa Fe. I am assuming that that they won't be an problem but I just wanted to confirm.

#170 ·
I have the same exact question. Have 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS that came with option 205/55/16. Well, I need snow tires and that is a more expensive size than if I just went to 205/60/16.

So far I don't think it makes a whole heck of a difference but I just want to get some feedback from the pro's.

From what I have read so far, it is recommended not to exceed a diameter variance of 3% or they say that there can be brake failure. Switching to the 205/60/16 gives a diameter variance of 3.24%. Using this website:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/205-55R16/205-55R16/205-60R16

I don't think .24% is anything to consider. Just looking for other opinions. Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks.

#171 ·
Hey guys, recently I purchased 17"/7" Lenso wheels and 215/45/17 tires for my 2006 Elantra, i was so pleased at first, but after the first fast rolling I've sensed drastic rubbing! I love my new wheels but i have to solve this problem with the minimum injury! ifI I'd be right, there is 3 solution here:
1. changing camber, my question is that our car rear wheel's cambers are adjustable? and is there any harm maximizing them?
2. rolling the fenders, my question: is it possible that I just roll the rim of the fenders up?
3. reducing the size of tire, and is 205/45/17 proper for 7" wide? cause the rim of the wheels gonna be wider than the tire width

warm regards

#172 · (Edited)
Elantra GLS 15"x5.5"
195/60/R15 Kuhmo all-season tires
Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3
XD2 ('04 - '06).
Center bore must be 67.1mm or larger (if the bore of the wheel is larger than 67.1mm then use hubcentric rings for proper hubcentric fitment)

rim width - closest possible offset to OEM's scrub radius

6.0" (+27mm to +58mm offset, +46)
15" wheels
195/60-15

So I'm hoping someone has already done what I want to do - I wanna replace the stock steel/plastic hubcap with a nice aftermarket 5, 6, or 7 spoke black wheel - but I don't really want to deviate much from the stock overall size. I understand the aftermarket wheels will be .5" wider, but that shouldn't be a problem.

These are pretty much what I'm lookin for http://www.carid.com/focal-wheels/421b-x-black-11584816.html

What I'm looking for is some pictures of different black spoke wheels on elantras... and suggestions are more than welcome! :pics2: