anyone seen this?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone seen this?

Default anyone seen this?

i mean is this real? is this even possible? An ES Saturn almost went over at the 2000 SCCA Solo National. just looks kinda fake to me. expecially for a ES car

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

scared like cheese 2GTS has not yet proved knowledgeable 2GTS's Avatar

Default Re: anyone seen this?

I saw that too, it wouldn't be that hard to verify since the pic has the photogropher's info on the bottom.

yeeeehaaaaaaa LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Very possible. There were some instances when cars rolled over at auto-X events. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Not a real picture, check out the sidewalls on the inboard tires, NO DEFLECTION! Unless he used dynamite to get it airborne. Also his front wheels are pointed straight ahead. Bravo for artistic photchop though, it is fun to look at.

Poster God XTRAWLD has not yet proved knowledgeable XTRAWLD's Avatar

Can't people do that in cars but using a ramp made for that, and they can control the car?....I remember watching a bunch of Red Saabs years ago doing extreme tests and one of the tests was putting a snake line of 9 cars onto 2 wheels and drove it for a few mins that way. It's also funny that none of the spectators are looking that way at the car though. And yes, those tires aren't even deflated a bit.
    Last edited by XTRAWLD; 05-14-2004 at 01:21 PM.

fake but cool, somebody do that w/ an xd

scared like cheese 2GTS has not yet proved knowledgeable 2GTS's Avatar

It is possible that he had the tires inflated to a crazy psi which is why there is no deflection/smooshed look to the tire. The people in the backround probably weren't looking because it's just a saturn do auto-x, not really all that exciting to watch if you didn't know the car was going to do a 2 wheeler. If you really want to know, contact the person with the info at the bottom of the pic or call up tire rack and ask to talk to the person from Tirerack that was there or in charge of their contirbution to the event. Or hell dig through the SCCA results and you could verify it from the people that were really there. It's funny how everyone calls bs and takes the time to say why it didn't happen but noone will try to prove it could and did. Personally I don't think you'd find that pic on the web site it came from with SCCA and TireRacks name on it and the date and event it occured at and even the photographers info if it wasn't real.

I just checked out their site and it says "No need to point out what almost happened here. Don't try this at home!" Makes me think it's real. It was the only pic on the site that I came across like it.
    Last edited by HatchetMan; 05-14-2004 at 02:12 PM.

I think EXTRWLD nailed it cold.. Exhibition photo using a ramp, I just can't see how he got up on two wheels without the sidewalls rolling over. And if you look closely you see that hes about to go off course!

the wheels being straight and the sidewalls not being deflated could be due to the speed . . remember centrifugal force when looking at this pic . . . also remember he isnt going 12 miles an hour . . try to imagine the speed he is going at . . the tires would probably not look flat if they are being pushed forward faster than they are being pulled/pushed sideways or even downard. i looked at it for a good while . . all the shadows seem to be correct . . .you'll notice a slight shadow to the left on all the cones . . it must have been right in the middle of the day when the sun was straight up or at least just a little to the side say around 1:00pm-2:30? . . . another couple of things . . . no ramp . . reason he might be going off course and the wheels are pointed straight could be because the weight of the car and the panic of the driver cause the wheel to go back into a straight position . . if you arent an experienced driver you wouldnt think to correct . . you would overcorrect or in some cases since your hand was on the steering wheel when the weight of the car pulls to one side your hand would pull the wheel there too and you wouldnt exactly be thinking of anything but getting the car back down or at the very least hanging on for dear life. . . . plus with all the names on there like people mentioned . . . all these fact make this a pic thats gotta be real . . . oh well my .02

Quote Originally Posted by felixr
    if you arent an experienced driver you wouldnt think to correct . .
    well if it is a real photo this guy is an experienced driver. this was taken from the SCCA solo 2 championships. best of the best go here.

the tires were inflated to about the breaking point for really good traction.

the reason the people in the back aren't looking is because they are probably getting ready to do thier runs. my final vote is real

oh ok in that case my guess is he was either freakin out at that point or the pic was taken at one of the split seconds before correction . . .

Junior Member Pumbaa has not yet proved knowledgeable Pumbaa's Avatar

I beleive it is real, if you're running autocross tires for one we tend to have very strong sidewalls and high tire inflations @ the max psi so that we will have absolutely no tire roll even under that stress. Especially R compound rubber tends to have the double to triple sidewall protection for that very reason. I saw its real.

Full Member Josh K has not yet proved knowledgeable Josh K's Avatar

That pic's real. I've seen many stunt drivers do this exact thing.

Quote Originally Posted by felixr
    . . remember centrifugal force when looking at this pic . .
    my physics teacher was very precise when she told our class centrifugal force does not exsist (i'm pretty sure that was the one she said) and she explained it to our class and how she was right and what not, and didn't appreciate it when i asked her if she was ignorant...

as for the picture it is very doable...i've only seen it done in trucks...

Centrifugal force is not a true force, it is simply the name given to the visible affects of centripetal force.
    And I find it hard to believe a car could get that high on two wheels in a SoloII event, the speeds are so relatively low, but it is a Saturn, so I guess anything is possible when the car sucks that much.

EXD Pro Member Leviathant can identify a wrench Leviathant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDMdreamin
    my physics teacher was very precise when she told our class centrifugal force does not exsist (i'm pretty sure that was the one she said) and she explained it to our class and how she was right and what not, and didn't appreciate it when i asked her if she was ignorant...
    Are you sure she wasn't talking about the coriolis effect and the way water swirls down drains, dependant on which side of the equator you're on?

And I've seen crappier cars on two wheels like that. You just need to launch off a ramp designed for such a feat... and drive straight!
    151,000 miles on my '01 Champagne GLS w/ Euro Antenna, OEM Wood Dash Kit, OEM Tiburon Gauges, KDM Card Holder, OEM Tiburon Clarion/Hyundai CD player, GT Tweeters, Mussa Strut Bar, 19mm Tiburon OEM Sway Bar. Pics & Details here, Maintentance log here

Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar

Definately real. And XTRA, I've seen that video, that was one of the coolest things I've seen, it was like they were dancing with cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

+ Reply to Thread