[XD2] TYC vs. DEPO Headlights
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TYC vs. DEPO Headlights

Junior Member AtlXD2 has not yet proved knowledgeable AtlXD2's Avatar

Default TYC vs. DEPO Headlights

So I'm in the market for new headlights. My 05 XD2 has 180K on the original headlights and they are all clouded up. I don't see the point in having them "cleared" when the results will only last a year or so. Plus a new set of either TYCs or DEPOs is around $120. My question is: is there a difference in the quality between TYC and DEPO?

My highest concern is beam pattern. I want a beam pattern as close to OEM as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Junior Member incubus0111 has not yet proved knowledgeable incubus0111's Avatar

It will last if you keep them clean and reapply headlight sealer every six months or so. I dont know about TYC but depo assemblies suck.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Poster God mlumz has not yet proved knowledgeable mlumz's Avatar

Default Re: TYC vs. DEPO Headlights

I would recommend buying a pair of used OEM headlights. The aftermarket (TYC or Depo) aren't great and won't last long before the clears start to peel or cloud up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Junior Member AtlXD2 has not yet proved knowledgeable AtlXD2's Avatar

Great info. I have meguiars plastic polish but the headlights are too far gone. I suppose if I get a quality headlight clearing done and keep it up with the polish they should be good for a while longer.

Headlights are the one part that I’ve always been weary about when it comes to aftermarket. Beam pattern is really important and no aftermarket is going to best OEM I suppose. I just asked because I was under the impression that there was a company that sells OEM quality stuff for Hyundai. For example Hella is an OEM, and sells “aftermarket” headlights that are as good as the original part…because they are the same, just without the manufacturers stamp (like Mercedes or BMW)

A quick eBay search has used headlights for about $100 each.

Poster God mlumz has not yet proved knowledgeable mlumz's Avatar

I own a TYC aftermarket headlight (replacement for when I hit a guard rail and needed a quick fix). The headlight lens is definitely of lower quality and thinner than OEM. And other users have said the same thing. You should be able to find used OEM headlights pretty easily on ebay. But if you are gonna spend around $200 then you might look at some nice aftermarket headlights that do LED conversions and projectors already built in.

lag, lag, lag, bye. 2LiterRiceEater has picked up a wrench 2LiterRiceEater's Avatar

Here are my original, 13 year old 200k mile headlights. A bit of dedication and cleaning, you should be able to bring them back. Cost me a whooping $15.

The next time you talk to your boss with a booger hanging from your nose, or leave the house with your fly open, think of it this way:
    At least you didn't just get outrun by a 13-year-old Hyundai sedan with drum brakes

Newbie mkulrey13 has not yet proved knowledgeable

DEPO is nothing but greatness. Unsure how others have issues? Ived used DEPOs for every car ive ever done a retrofit for and they do not fade or peal like others. Maybe im lucky. But im also a dealer for them so i get the latest versions.

+ Reply to Thread