[XD] Keyless entry remote reprogramming
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyless entry remote reprogramming

Senior Member danielelee has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Keyless entry remote reprogramming

My wife lost one of my keyless entry remotes recently. I bought a replacement remote from ebay. It included an instruction and also such thing at ElantraXD.com: it says that I need to remove the dash fascia and there is ETACS module behind the ash tray. I need to reset the switch on the module in order to reprogram it, but I could not find any switch on the box. I checked the front, top. sides, and bottom. There was no switch. I understand that I can reprogram XD keyless entry by myself. That's why I bought a replacement. Is there anyone who can instruct me to locate the switch to reprogram? I would appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by danielelee; 01-01-2014 at 07:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

2003 Elantra Owner smileymattj knows about Elantras smileymattj's Avatar
    North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States

Default Re: Keyless entry remote reprogramming

What year is your Elantra?

XD1 2001-2003 is re-programmable. (metal ETACS)
    XD2 2004-2006 is dealer programmable (plastic ETACS)

If XD1, you have to unbolt the ETACS to pull it out. There will be a sticker over the switch. You'll need a small screwdriver to flip the switch.

I have been successful only popping open the bottom of the dash facia, peeling the sticker and flipping the switch a few times. Scratched up my arm quite a bit and was hard to reach, but was able to get it. Definitely easier just to take it out. But the first time I did it I had to take it out to locate it.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Thanks smiley. You always help us. My car is '03 gls. Someone suggest that the switch might be under the sticker. I touched and pressed on the sticker, but there was nothing under. Just metal box. There are connectors on the top and a cable on the right side of the box. I felt the bottom, but I didn't feel anything. Where exactly was the switch located?

[UPDATE] Hi, smiley. I found an interesting article about this matter. Click http://www.justanswer.com/car/26cqu-...emote-fob.html
    Is this you did for your car?
    Last edited by danielelee; 01-01-2014 at 11:16 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Yea, thats very close to what I did. I unbolted the ETACs instead of removing the HVAC controls. HVAC sounds like it might be easier.

The sticker is very small. And the hole is even tinier. Feeling it with your finger, you're not going to feel the hole unless you remove the sticker.

If you get the ETACs out, or move the HVAC controls so you can see it you'll understand it a lot better. It's just in a hard to reach/see spot. Yours being 03 means you can program it yourself. 01-03 had metal ETACs, which is user programmable. 04-06 had plastic ETACs which were dealer programmable.

smileymattj's Garage
    I am not responsible if your car blows up, use common sense and proper safety precautions.

Thanks smiley. I finished programming of my remotes owing to your help. I didn't see any bolts for ETACS module, so instead I removed HVAC unit. Yes, the sticker is so tiny and the hole is hardly visible even with a mirror. The switch inside the hole is the tiniest I have ever seen. The black box next to it is blocking the access, so I had to remove it. I worked with a mirror and a tiny screw driver to flip the switch. Of course, flashlight was also needed.

Did your car remotes work today? My keyless remotes suddenly stopped working this afternoon. They worked this morning. I reprogrammed them a few days ago and there have been working fine until this afternoon. Can the cold temperature affect the failure? The temperature in my area recorded -3 degree F this morning. I went to a bank drive-thru to make a deposit. Non of the send/talk buttons worked. They were dumb. Excessive cold temperature can cause failure of the electronic equipment?
    Last edited by danielelee; 01-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Yea mine's work since programming them.

Did you flip the switch back? After programming you have to return the switch to the original position. Cold temps can affect stuff, but you should be good, I think most electronics are rated for tens to thirty in the negatives.

On my fob, the lock key is hard to press. My old fob it was unlock button was hard to press, now this one the lock takes a firm hard press. Just worn out buttons. Was the light blinking on your key fob? Might have to press it a little harder the more wear it has on it.

A lot of people, I am one have installed a short FM radio antennas. Which the keyless remote uses the antenna. So if you've changed your antenna it will shorten your remote range.

smileymattj's Garage

Yes, I did flip back the switch. Without it, the keyless entry should not work. Of course, I reconnected antenna to the ETACS module and it was working fine until yesterday. The old fob is not blinking when I press, maybe weak battery, but it was working before. The new fob has a new battery in it and is blinking. I can see it clearly, but stopped working with unknown reason.

Junior Member amod has not yet proved knowledgeable

just wondering what does the ETACS look like so i can see if i A) have one B) am able to program a remote for it as i have power everything and a remote would be nice

ETACS stands for electronic time & alarm system and it is located behind the ash tray in the dash. It's a small metal silver box like a cigarette box lying down. There is a link at #3 post of this thread above --- Justanswer.com
    Last edited by danielelee; 01-07-2014 at 09:08 PM.

[UPDATE] I reprogrammed my keyless entry remotes today. I found the problem why they stopped working after a few days of initial programming. The switch at ETACS was slide switch, not flip switch. I didn't slide down/up completely thinking it was flip switch and I guess the switch was shifted in the middle. Now my keyless entry remotes are working fine. i learned a lesson.

Poster God MrElantra104 has not yet proved knowledgeable MrElantra104's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielelee View Post
    [UPDATE] I reprogrammed my keyless entry remotes today. I found the problem why they stopped working after a few days of initial programming. The switch at ETACS was slide switch, not flip switch. I didn't slide down/up completely thinking it was flip switch and I guess the switch was shifted in the middle. Now my keyless entry remotes are working fine. i learned a lesson.
    Good thing it works now & mistakes always happens

+ Reply to Thread