My new Fiat 500
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new Fiat 500

Player to be named later Doohickie has picked up a wrench Doohickie's Avatar

Default My new Fiat 500

The Elantra is still in the family; my son's driving it after the death of is old Tracer. But it's no longer *my* car.

So I got me a Fiat 500 Sport on Saturday. Today I got the windows tinted, and here's the result.

Fiat 500 Sport by [email protected], on Flickr

Fiat 500 Sport by [email protected]com, on Flickr

Fiat 500 Sport by [email protected], on Flickr

Before my Elantra, I had a Ford Aspire (reskinned Festiva). The 500 is very reminiscent of that car, but it's better in every way- more power, better handling, better creature comforts, and a great stereo. Basically, it's like driving a very quick go-cart. Lots of fun.
    Make an ELANTRAXD decal the next mod to your Elantra. Become a Pro Member today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Scary Super Mod songee623 has picked up a wrench songee623's Avatar

Default Re: My new Fiat 500

any plans for mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by silversharkxd2 View Post
    in a world without exd...no one can hear you scream
    https://www.elantraxd.com/forums/imag...ine=1358427727

Other than the window tint, no, not really. I'll be putting a hitch receiver on it for a bike rack, but no other plans. I really, really like it right out of the box. It's a Sport model, so it has the tight suspension. Plus there's a Sport mode. To get good fuel economy, they build a bit of lag into the throttle (and tune the electric assist on the steering for a softer feel). When you engage Sport mode, it removes the throttle lag and tightens up the steering and the car really jumps. I was chirping it in 2nd and 3rd without really trying.
    Make an ELANTRAXD decal the next mod to your Elantra. Become a Pro Member today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

My garage is a mess, but at least I can park my Fiat in it!

IMG_1010.jpg

I got probably about a quarter of the remaining crap out of the garage tonight- took more boxes and cardboard junk to the recycling dumpster, dropped off some clothes at Goodwill, took some stuff to the storage unit.

Meanwhile, the hitch receiver I ordered for my bike rack came in today. I'm disappointed in the shoddy packing job they did; lots of finish damage.

Super Moderator hyunelan2 knows a lot about Elantras hyunelan2's Avatar

You'd probably be best served covering whole receiver in line-x or rhinoliner or something. With those paint chips, it doesn't really look like a good powdercoat job, and you're going to be fighting rust on the hitch in no time. Same think happened with the receiver on my Santa Fe.

If you do put a coating on it, tape off the receiver insert area - so that the opening stays the same size. Coat it with grease to provide a rust barrier.
    • Past: 2002 Elantra GLS (sold in 2010), 2003 Tiburon GT (Sold in 2014)
    • Present: 2004 Santa Fe GLS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc, 2010 Suzuki Equator Sport
    • Future: ????

Yeah, cosmetically I'm not too worried about it, and living in Texas, rust isn't really that much of an issue (any coating should be fine, although I like your idea). However, those are the attach points for the hitch receiver, and while they're probably fine, I wonder whether there was any undue stress on the welds that may result in premature failure of the part. I don't want my bicycle falling off in the middle of the freeway.

I don't think you have to worry about the wight of a [several] bicycle[s] causing the welds to break. If it were to the point where that minor amount of weight could do anything - you'd be able to manipulate it by hand.

I think you're probably right, but if the box was dropped from a high enough height to cause that damage, there's some chance that it induced some damage in the welds that would be latent but cause a premature failure. Unlikely, but... well let's see what the seller says.

I contacted the seller and they gave me a partial refund, "to cover the cost of the repaint."

On inspection, I'm not worried about the construction. The welds are solid. So I touched it up tonight and I'll get it on when the weather warms up a bit.

It took forever to get the hitch receiver on; I finally removed the whole bumper fascia and it was easy. Looks pretty good.

It's a fun car to drive. I wasn't thinking about buying a car and was still diggin' the Elantra, but the 500 is a totally different ride. And on my current tank I'm getting almost 41 mpg.

And now that my wife can get her car into the garage, she's happy, too.

Poster God avantegt knows about Elantras avantegt's Avatar

Why did you opt for a rear mounted rack instead of a roof rack?

Check out what Road Race Engineering has to offer, they a bunch of fiat 500 parts.
    They ran over my car, quite literally.

Aerodynamics, and the danger of pulling into the garage with bikes on top (I've known too many people who did that). I think RRM is a sponsor on one of the Fiat forums.

Yeah, roof-mounted racks = asking for disaster. Garages, parking structures, drive-thru, ATM, so many options for destroying thousands of dollars of bicycles on the roof.

I sat in the 500 and 500L at the autoshow last week. The 500L feels like a narrow bus/minivan, totally different than the 500. I like the 500 cockpit, but overall would be more inclined to go the Cooper route for a small FWD.

The Cooper is about 25-30% higher cost for the comparable model.

6 years on and the Fiat is running great.

Poster God mkjh has information that can be trustedmkjh has information that can be trusted mkjh's Avatar

That's some kind of bump in this thread. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Fiat. I am still enjoying my 2002 and 2006 Elantras.

Poster God Elantra2005 has not yet proved knowledgeable Elantra2005's Avatar

Sorry to be the one that saying that but that car in one of my most hatred cars of most . lol

AVANTE XD- Excellent Driving .

EXD SupaMod Ugzz knows a lot about Elantras Ugzz's Avatar

lol. Looking back at the old pics, I see your plot. You bought a fiat so you only had to clean out 1/4 of the garage to fit it in. That's not working hard, that's working smart.
    Glad you still loving it. Somewhere on here I posted that I bought an ST many years back. I should go bump my thread too lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Aintnonerd View Post
    Internet Jesus is not pleased with the absense of the chatbox.
    And he stated, "let the people speak, and I shall grant thee speed". Microsoft Sam 11:17

+ Reply to Thread