car options

View Poll Results: what route should I take?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy an old accord, strip it and make it fast

    2 14.29%
  • Buy a 240 sx, strip it and make it fast

    3 21.43%
  • Finish the turbo project on the XD

    9 64.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: car options

  1. #1
    19 second madman tharptroy has not yet proved knowledgeable tharptroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,506

    Default car options

    The truth is, I really want a stripped down street terror. There isnt a chance in hell that I'll do it to my daily driven elantra. If I decide to get another car, the XD will still get NA modifications

    the reason for wanting an old accord? it was my first car, and damn I miss it.
    H22 engine is a direct bolt in (200hp)

    reason for wanting 240 sx? rwd and available engine swaps

    reason for wanting to turbo the XD? foolish XD pride.

    Ideally, I'd like to buy an XD, strip it, and make it fast, but the prices to do so arent reasonable.

    im also open to other suggestions, but let it be known that I am a 4 cylinder whore, and while it would be a good idea to get a fox body mustang, its just not what I want.
    Last edited by tharptroy; 05-17-2004 at 10:21 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Not such a Newbie 2004ElantraGLS has not yet proved knowledgeable
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: car options

    Personally, I would like to get a CRX. Go all out and make it fast as hell. Then again, I'd also love to rebuild a '68 or '69 Camero SS. Will I ever do either of them? I dunno, but I sure have been seing a lot of CRX's around here for sale. Most are in too good of a condition and therefore, the price tag is too high. I don't want to spend more than $500 for the car, then strip it down and have some fun. Accords/Civis are nice too though. I don't like the 240s, and you're right about a Turbo XD not being reasonable as far as price and resulting power goes. Go with the Accord. It was your first car, afterall, and this time you'll have the chance to build it the way you want. Good Luck!!!

    Axel
    2004 Elantra GLS
    5-speed

    I/H/E, Powerchip, TB Bypass, Shortened Shifter, Slave Cylinder Mod, Fidanza Flywheel, Stage 3 Clutch, SpringTech Lowering Springs, 19.2mm Rear Swaybar, Falken Rims and Tires, NGK Iridiums

  4. #3
    Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast DC
    Posts
    25,975

    Default Re: car options

    The suggestion I always give people who want a fast car...

    2000 Accent - As little as $2700
    Beta Engine - As little as $250
    Complete Turbo Set Up - As little as $2000
    Suspension Upgrades - $2000
    Misc. Crap - $1000

    So, for under $8,000 you can have a fast, light, good looking (the two doors anyway) car that is one of the top ten sleepers in the history of cars.

    Can't wait until 2015 or so, that way I'll be able to afford something cool like this.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Backstage at RAW 7.19.04 Black04XD2 has not yet proved knowledgeable Black04XD2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Reston, Va/D.C.
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: car options

    I so want a CRX. Always have wanted one. If I had extra money to do a seperate build up, I'd go the CRX route.
    Having my ego inflated, one stalker at a time

    Support ~HIM~ CKY, & Clutch

  7. #5
    19 second madman tharptroy has not yet proved knowledgeable tharptroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,506

    Default Re: car options

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS
    The suggestion I always give people who want a fast car...

    2000 Accent - As little as $2700
    Beta Engine - As little as $250
    Complete Turbo Set Up - As little as $2000
    Suspension Upgrades - $2000
    Misc. Crap - $1000

    So, for under $8,000 you can have a fast, light, good looking (the two doors anyway) car that is one of the top ten sleepers in the history of cars.

    Can't wait until 2015 or so, that way I'll be able to afford something cool like this.
    think about this though:
    1991 accord-$2,000
    H22a and transmission: $2500
    strip the hell out of it-$100
    drag tires-$400

    for $5,000, you have a car thats deep into the 13 sec range not to mention the fact that you have hondata as a tuning option, and no need for OBDII hassles

  8. #6
    Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast DC
    Posts
    25,975

    Default Re: car options

    So, you save $3,000 and you are just like 200 (I have no idea exactly, just assuming it is A LOT) people throughout the U.S.? Instead of being one of maybe 10 people with a Beta swapped Accent?

    (By the way, I'm not trying to attack your idea, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun, this is just me and my Hyundai bias talking, haha).



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by SuperGLS; 05-17-2004 at 11:11 PM.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

  9. #7

    Default Re: car options

    or you could buy a toyota MR, there are four diff swaps there plus u can build on the 3s-gte. or you could get teh super tuned beams 3s-ge they can tune thoseto around 300 whp and that's na. then there are the supra swaps. 2jz-ge or gte with single turbo. MRs aren't that much of a hassle from what i hear. and it's still a decent looking car. and u ge the rear wheel drive you want if youre really gonna build a rice killer. sorry i'm a toyota punk. i love the MRs and the IS. too poor to be a supra guy.

  10. #8

    Default Re: car options

    dude you stole my idea!!! accent will probably be my next car
    they look good and will be mad fast with beta itself, now TC it!!! the sky is the limit!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS
    The suggestion I always give people who want a fast car...

    2000 Accent - As little as $2700
    Beta Engine - As little as $250
    Complete Turbo Set Up - As little as $2000
    Suspension Upgrades - $2000
    Misc. Crap - $1000

    So, for under $8,000 you can have a fast, light, good looking (the two doors anyway) car that is one of the top ten sleepers in the history of cars.

    Can't wait until 2015 or so, that way I'll be able to afford something cool like this.
    im just a little crazy about Hyundai!

    but, yeah stick with your XD!!! dont buy no honda man! its too "original"

  11. #9

    Default Re: car options

    Quote Originally Posted by tharptroy
    think about this though:
    1991 accord-$2,000
    H22a and transmission: $2500
    strip the hell out of it-$100
    drag tires-$400

    for $5,000, you have a car thats deep into the 13 sec range not to mention the fact that you have hondata as a tuning option, and no need for OBDII hassles
    You have any links or info on this. I went searching a little last night but did not find much. Only one 90 accord with an h22 running a 14.4-14.5 with the swap. Just have never heard of the h22 swap being that fast in the 1/4. I am sure it could be but probably not with just the stock setup. There are a couple floating around tampa I'll see if I can find any of their times. Also to answer the question. I would either do the 240 hatch with an SR20DET out of a Pulsar GTI-r or the beta swap into the accent. I mean gutted what does an accent weigh. Can't be much. light weight makes up for lack of horsepower.
    Last edited by evil247; 05-18-2004 at 12:51 AM.

  12. #10

    Default Re: car options

    2dr accent weighs around 2200lbs!!!

  13. #11
    Backstage at RAW 7.19.04 Black04XD2 has not yet proved knowledgeable Black04XD2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Reston, Va/D.C.
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: car options

    Quote Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
    2dr accent weighs around 2200lbs!!!
    Gut it, and you could get it down to like what? 1800lbs?
    Having my ego inflated, one stalker at a time

    Support ~HIM~ CKY, & Clutch

  14. #12
    19 second madman tharptroy has not yet proved knowledgeable tharptroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,506

    Default Re: car options

    Quote Originally Posted by evil247
    You have any links or info on this. I went searching a little last night but did not find much. Only one 90 accord with an h22 running a 14.4-14.5 with the swap. Just have never heard of the h22 swap being that fast in the 1/4. I am sure it could be but probably not with just the stock setup. There are a couple floating around tampa I'll see if I can find any of their times. Also to answer the question. I would either do the 240 hatch with an SR20DET out of a Pulsar GTI-r or the beta swap into the accent. I mean gutted what does an accent weigh. Can't be much. light weight makes up for lack of horsepower.
    kentucky-accord on honda-tech is running in the 13 second range. he has the stock F22 with bolt ons, his car is also REALLY stripped, I'll see if I cant find pics

    here is his car: link

    he runs 13.91 with the F22 and bolt ons (and slicks and the prelude tranny)...for those of you who dont know, its NA capabilities are about the same as the Beta. The H22 can be readily tweaked to 200whp with headwork, cams, exhaust and intake. you can get the prelude tranny that comes stock with a LSD as well. I think an accord stripped like that would be a mean SOB. and if the H22 wasnt fast enough, a 50 shot of nitrous would fix that.

    hrmm...original? H22 swapped accent! BWAHAHAH. but really, an old *** accord is one hell of a sleeper. how many people would see that coming? not to mention that to get fast with a beta, you have to turbo it. I'll try to find out what kentuck accord's curb weight is
    Last edited by tharptroy; 05-18-2004 at 09:21 AM.

  15. #13
    Administrator SuperGLS has information that can be trustedSuperGLS has information that can be trusted SuperGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast DC
    Posts
    25,975

    Default Re: car options

    Another Hyundai fast car option is an early model Elantra/Sonata (I think I'd take a first gen Sonata) with the 4G63T swap, which would probably be cheaper than the Turbo'd Beta Accent. Plus, I'd say they have an even more sleeper-istic character. Plus a first gen Sonata kind of looks like a 1990 Accord (taillights anyway).

    OD, I never stole your idea, I had a Hyundai (and this idea) before you could drive legally, hahaha.

    I don't know if you could get rid of 400 lbs of the Accent, but I'm sure you could get close. Wouldn't that be nice? A 1800 pound car with 200-225 HP and with some good tires and a Quaife to keep it on the ground? Like I said, anyone only needs $8000 is they can do the labor themselves.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by SuperGLS; 05-18-2004 at 09:38 AM.
    JustDonkeys: All the donkey news, info and fun you could want. Or on Twitter @JustDonkeys.

  16. #14

    Default Re: car options

    Heres an original idea (NOT!!!) Take an old EXCEL and dump the 4G63T in it! this is done on a regular basis in Puerto Rico. Anyone who has driven a modded Eclipse or Galant can attest to the prowess of that powertrain and in a stripped down three door Excel? Houston we have lift-off

  17. #15

    Default Re: car options

    HAHA, still accent is probably goin to be my next car and will make a hell of a sleeper out of it!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS
    Another Hyundai fast car option is an early model Elantra/Sonata (I think I'd take a first gen Sonata) with the 4G63T swap, which would probably be cheaper than the Turbo'd Beta Accent. Plus, I'd say they have an even more sleeper-istic character. Plus a first gen Sonata kind of looks like a 1990 Accord (taillights anyway).

    OD, I never stole your idea, I had a Hyundai (and this idea) before you could drive legally, hahaha.

    I don't know if you could get rid of 400 lbs of the Accent, but I'm sure you could get close. Wouldn't that be nice? A 1800 pound car with 200-225 HP and with some good tires and a Quaife to keep it on the ground? Like I said, anyone only needs $8000 is they can do the labor themselves.

  18. #16
    Countersteer forever SWortham has not yet proved knowledgeable
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,962

    Default Re: car options

    For what you want... I have to say the 240. If you want a stripped-down really fast car, what better platform than a cheap RWD car with IRS and lots of potential?

  19. #17

    Default Re: car options

    My step bro had the accord & my wife had the 240. Both were great cars when new, but turned to crap w/ age. Therefore I wouldn't recommend either. If your XD is a daily, then I probably would not TC it either. If you were into trucks, then I would suggest a GMC Syclone
    Last edited by HatchetMan; 05-19-2004 at 01:10 PM.

  20. #18

    Default Re: car options

    yea. go with the 240.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts