Obd 2
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obd 2

Default Obd 2

Hi,
    I have searched the board on OBD projects but couldn't really find anything.
    I'm looking for some info on creating a serial connection to my laptop. I have some OBD software but I need to get it connected to the car.
    Has anybody done this before ?
    DAX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Too much time spent here. JacksonJ has not yet proved knowledgeable JacksonJ's Avatar

Default Re: Obd 2

I looked for months on information to make my own OBD II cable. I could not find anything that didn't require some sort of special circut board. The best I could find was www.scantool.net which has the circut board print out available for those who are into electronics. But still requires a certain chip called an Elmscan chip, it isn't a lot of money, but just was waiting a bit for more information.
    “Being a guy doesn’t mean that we have to admit to our Foibles, but rather come up with better excuses” - Colin Mochrie

Ultimate Post Whore FordFasteRR can identify a wrench FordFasteRR's Avatar

I have the elm chip sold @ scantool.net

it works great

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

What to break next? Brooklyn has not yet proved knowledgeable Brooklyn's Avatar

It is possible the build the board yourself. Scantool.net has the schematic and pcb artwork to do it. The only thing I didnt like about their design was the oldschool serial DB25 pin connector. Most computers that still have serial ports use DB9. I changed the DB25 -> DB9 and layed the components out differently. It is a blatant ripoff of scantool's schematic, so I take no credit for anything but the changes. I etched this from the new design.

You can save a bit of cash if you do it yourself, but the upfront costs of a .028" drill bit, etching fluid, PCB, components, serial2usb cable, and the time to learn how to do it will probably keep away all but the dedicated tinkers. I had all the components lying around except for the ELM323 and ISO cable.
    Attached Images

Too much time spent here. JacksonJ has not yet proved knowledgeable JacksonJ's Avatar

I am somewhat ok with electronics, but I have never attempted to create a circut board before. Maybe when my kids get a little bigger I'll take a chance to try it.
    “Being a guy doesn’t mean that we have to admit to our Foibles, but rather come up with better excuses” - Colin Mochrie

What to break next? Brooklyn has not yet proved knowledgeable Brooklyn's Avatar

Its too bad that scantool doesnt sell prefabbed professional PCBs with all the components you require unsoldered in a kit. It would save them money on having them manufactured, which translates into a savings for the end user. Soldering is easy enough for most people. Fabricating a board from copper clad is tedious because of all the small steps neccessary.
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 05-25-2005 at 10:52 PM.

'04 XD2 TW GT 5Dr Owner getfuzzd has not yet proved knowledgeable getfuzzd's Avatar

you can also get the CarChip
    http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc....asp?pnum=8221
    I found it at sears for $150
    but I'll probably go with the scantool.net and an old laptop/carputer if I do anything
    Last edited by getfuzzd; 05-26-2005 at 09:00 AM.
    Bleed Green, MSU all the way!

Exclamation Re: Obd 2

Alriight I have an OBD 2 to usb cable now I need the software
    Anyone know of the software that is used for a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT and where can I get this software!

+ Reply to Thread