Rip Off or needed maintenance
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rip Off or needed maintenance

Junior Member Peter912 has not yet proved knowledgeable

Default Rip Off or needed maintenance

2006 Elantra here with about 89,000 K . I went for an oil change after 6 months and the 24 month maintenance package but the service department said it has been 4 years since I last did this service. Also the exhaust was noisy as well. So they replaced the oil and filter, that was last done 6 months ago. They fixed the exhaust pipe flange bolt or rather replaced it and that cost $124 . Then they changed the brake, coolant and transmission fluids. Replaced the air and cabin filters and rotated the tires as well, along with checking the brake pads.

So long story short, the total bill was $728 plus $100 for a total of $828 Canadian.

Was this justified needed maintenance or a rip off ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God mkjh has information that can be trustedmkjh has information that can be trusted mkjh's Avatar

Default Re: Rip Off or needed maintenance

That sounds a little high. Most of those things you can easily do yourself, you don't need to pay someone. Replacing the engine and cabin air filters takes maybe four minutes to do both. It's as easy as taking the old filter out and replacing it with a new one.

I know what those things cost here at a Hyundai dealership.

Oil change-$70
    Brakes-$200
    Coolant-$100
    Transmission-$125
    Engine Air filter-$50
    Cabin Air Filter-$67
    Tire Rotation-$20

Total-$632

Those are Hyundai dealership numbers here in California. If it's been four years since you had all of those things replaced, then yes, it is definitely time. You are actually way overdue on several such as the brakes, coolant and filters. I'll bet those filters were nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjh View Post
    That sounds a little high. Most of those things you can easily do yourself, you don't need to pay someone. Replacing the engine and cabin air filters takes maybe four minutes to do both. It's as easy as taking the old filter out and replacing it with a new one.

I know what those things cost here at a Hyundai dealership.

Oil change-$70
    Brakes-$200
    Coolant-$100
    Transmission-$125
    Engine Air filter-$50
    Cabin Air Filter-$67
    Tire Rotation-$20

Total-$632

Those are Hyundai dealership numbers here in California. If it's been four years since you had all of those things replaced, then yes, it is definitely time. You are actually way overdue on several such as the brakes, coolant and filters. I'll bet those filters were nasty.
    Thanks, so it was time to do these things and your total pretty much matched what I paid. So that answers my question, that this was needed work and I was charged the proper amount. Don't forget the exhaust pipe flange bolt ,which added another $124 to the total cost. It's a lot to pay for a 14 year old car but it is in excellent condition and I don't want to trade it in yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Poster God Elantra2005 has not yet proved knowledgeable Elantra2005's Avatar

828$ Sounds a lot. But they checked and replaced many things at least seems so.
    The oil and the exhaust thing kinda fair price tho.
    I paid 167 $ for only oil change and I gave them the oil I bought from my own money. ( car in warranty otherwise I change oil by myself )
    You have to replace filters every service . Transmission oil is not a cheap thing and since your car is like 14 years old Its necessary to be done.
    I also reccomend to clean or replace fuel filter . My old Elantra had 170k and I replaced the fuel pump and it did a lot of improvement and also the pump was super dirty .
    Last edited by Elantra2005; 04-08-2020 at 12:44 PM.

AVANTE XD- Excellent Driving .

Quote Originally Posted by Elantra2005 View Post
    828$ Sounds a lot. But they checked and replaced many things at least seems so.
    The oil and the exhaust thing kinda fair price tho.
    I paid 167 $ for only oil change and I gave them the oil I bought from my own money. ( car in warranty otherwise I change oil by myself )
    You have to replace filters every service . Transmission oil is not a cheap thing and since your car is like 14 years old Its necessary to be done.
    I also reccomend to clean or replace fuel filter . My old Elantra had 170k and I replaced the fuel pump and it did a lot of improvement and also the pump was super dirty .
    Also don't forget that $100 of this total includes the tax, so I guess it was a fair price. The labour rate posted on the wall is $124 an hour. Not too long ago skilled workers were making $5 an hour working in factories but that is another story.

Poster God mkjh has information that can be trustedmkjh has information that can be trusted mkjh's Avatar

Cool. I have a 2002 and 2006 Elantra, both in great condition and I don't plan on getting rid of either one. They are great cars and will last a long time if you treat them well. I do all the work on my car with the exception of the timing belt. I just changed the oil yesterday on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

The one thing I will say, of all the work you had done, learn how to replace the engine and cabin air filter. They are EASY. Both filters are around $20-25 a piece and they take just a few minutes to replace.

Cool. I have a 2002 and 2006 Elantra, both in great condition and I don't plan on getting rid of either one. They are great cars and will last a long time if you treat them well. I do all the work on my car with the exception of the timing belt. I just changed the oil yesterday on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

The one thing I will say, of all the work you had done, learn how to replace the engine and cabin air filter. They are EASY. Both filters are around $20-25 a piece and they take just a few minutes to replace.
    Yeah that thing can almost anybody do.
    Yeah they great cars. My father still drive my XD and he loves it so far .

Quote Originally Posted by Elantra2005 View Post
    Yeah that thing can almost anybody do.
    Yeah they great cars. My father still drive my XD and he loves it so far .

I always loved your car. I thought your mods were tasteful and you did a great job of maintenance and cleaning. I am happy to hear your dad is enjoying it.

I always loved your car. I thought your mods were tasteful and you did a great job of maintenance and cleaning. I am happy to hear your dad is enjoying it.
    Thanks!. I'm still taking care of it every time I come by .
    Where some recent photos:

And some old photos with friend

Last edited by Elantra2005; 04-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Very cool. Love your car.

+ Reply to Thread